Diagnosing And Treating Hypothyroid In Children

firebreather

Our 8 year old son has many symptoms of hypothyroid and it runs in my wife's family in addition to me being hypo.

Some of the symptoms are:
digestion issues
very tired all day
foggy brained
motivated but struggles to do the things he enjoys
temp often below normal

I know if we take him to the doctor and ask them to run a thyroid panel they will probably balk at it and I know from my own experience that the tests aren't always reliable.

So in addition to low temp what heart rate would be a sign of hypo?

According to Pulse: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia it's 70 to 110 bpm but that isn't very helpful as the medical field never gives optimal numbers.

My second question is would there be any harm in giving him a quarter grain of my NDT?

And what if it helped? Would giving thyroid to an 8 year old kid somehow hinder his thyroid growth as he gets older.

Thanks for any input.

LoryEl

Have u made any progress on this? I am interested also for my 12y old daughter that strugles with hypo symtoms: dry hair and skinn, low energy, overweight and all others

OP
F

firebreather

Have u made any progress on this? I am interested also for my 12y old daughter that strugles with hypo symtoms: dry hair and skinn, low energy, overweight and all others

Unfortunately I haven't.

He still has most all the symptoms as I did when I was a kid but I'm just not real sure what to do

LoryEl

Thank you. Meanwhile i took my daughter to a endocrinologist. Based on the doctors advice we took a trasoubd and found out she has a lot of amall nodules and cysts in her thyro and she was dyagnosed with thiroiditis. Now we are waiting for blood tests required by threatment recomendation phase. Will keep u posted if we make any progress.

OP
F

firebreather

Thank you. Meanwhile i took my daughter to a endocrinologist. Based on the doctors advice we took a trasoubd and found out she has a lot of amall nodules and cysts in her thyro and she was dyagnosed with thiroiditis. Now we are waiting for blood tests required by threatment recomendation phase. Will keep u posted if we make any progress.

wow thanks for posting

OP
F

firebreather

Any updates?

Yes we are giving him a very small amount of NDT and that seems to have changed so many things for him. He's not tired, doesn't complain about being cold and has a more reasonable amount of energy. His sleep is good and he seems to be doing much better

Yes we are giving him a very small amount of NDT and that seems to have changed so many things for him. He's not tired, doesn't complain about being cold and has a more reasonable amount of energy. His sleep is good and he seems to be doing much better
Great to hear that! Yesterday I came across a thread about Ray's Nutrition for Women. One of the quotes from the book was this:"Contrary to popular ideas about thyroid, the gland will resume its functioning after stopping the use of a supplement even if it has been suppressed, and sometimes taking thyroid will increase the gland's function to normal." So, his thyroid gland should be fine.

Nutrition For Women - Selected Parts

GelatinGoblin

God bless
Doctors are useless.