Diabetes Needs To Be Renamed

There is so much confusion with diabetes. I propose a name change for the disease.

Type one diabetes
- The pancreas does not produce any insulin, or enough insulin. The patient must inject the right amount of insulin everyday or eventually they will go blind and have their legs amputated. Type one is very rare in terms of overall diabetes statistics. There are a few tests to determine if someone has type one diabetes. It is irresponsible of any doctor to prescribe insulin without doing these tests:

"The C-peptide test may be ordered to determine how much insulin is being made by the pancreas. This information is useful because:

1.It can help doctors tell the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas produces little or no insulin and little or no C-peptide. In type 2 diabetes, C-peptide levels will typically be normal or high, as the pancreas works harder to overcome insulin resistance (when the tissues become less sensitive to the effects of insulin) by producing more insulin.

2.It can help find the cause of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), including the incorrect use of diabetes medications."

"1. C-Peptide—Instead of checking for antibodies, this test measures how much C-peptide is in your blood. Because levels of this peptide generally match insulin levels in the body, the test can indicate how much insulin your body is producing. Low levels of C-peptide and insulin usually point to type 1 diabetes.

2. Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies (GADA or Anti-GAD)—This test looks for antibodies built against a specific enzyme in the pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin.

3. Insulin Autoantibodies (IAA)—In addition to attacking beta cells, the immune system in people with type 1 diabetes also targets insulin, says Laffel. This tests looks for the antibodies targeting insulin.

4. Insulinoma-Associated-2 Autoantibodies (IA-2A)—This test looks for antibodies mounted against a specific enzyme in beta cells. Both the IA-2A and GADA tests are common type 1 antibody tests performed at endocrinology offices.

5. Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Autoantibodies (ICA)—Islet cells are clusters of cells in the pancreas that sense blood glucose levels and dole out insulin accordingly. This test looks at the reaction between islet cell antibodies from humans and a variety of islet cell proteins (including beta cells) from an animal pancreas, says Laffel. If your antibodies react with the animal islet cells, you have a marker for type 1. This is the oldest type 1 antibody test, and is not used as frequently today.

6. Zinc Transporter 8 (ZnT8Ab)—The newest type 1 test, this looks at antibodies targeting an enzyme that is specific to beta cells. This test may not be as readily available."

Type one and a half diabetes - The pancreas does not produce any insulin, or enough insulin and the person also has type two diabetes. This should still be considered a type one disease because the patient must inject insulin everyday. Rare still because type one is rare.

Type two diabetes - The type that is the epidemic. It has nothing to do with type one. The pancreas makes enough insulin and in most cases more insulin than a normal person, but insulin can not do its job because something is stopping it from working properly. It's not the pancreas, it's something else. The patient does not need to inject insulin but instead needs to take drugs to lower blood glucose to keep it from getting too high too quickly because it takes much longer for them to metabolism glucose than a normal person. If a person has to inject any amount of insulin but claims to only be a type two, then they are being foolish or they really do have type one but they just don't know the difference.

The word "diabetes" needs to be removed to avoid confusion.

Type one diabetes should be renamed to "pancreatic insulin disease." Because the pancreas does more than just produce insulin.

Type two diabetes should be renamed to "insulin resistance disease."

Well, now that I look at it, the world insulin should also not be used in both names.

Type one diabetes should be renamed to "hypoinsulinemia."

Type two diabetes should be renamed to "glucometanemia." Glu-co-met-a-ne-mia, glucose metabolism disorder.

Now type one diabetics can call themselves "hypoinsulinemic."

And type twos "glucometanemic."

Anyone have any name ideas?

Last edited:

misery guts

Edit: Just read your post on that sugar doc regarding causes of type 2. Would still like to hear your opinion on the causes of type 1.

OP
Westside PUFAs
I think type one is genetic because it is so rare, but it could be caused by toxic exposure and vit. D deficiency from sunlight. I think all cooking oils (besides reasonable amounts of coconut oil, though I think its better to eat whole coconut like fresh coconut meat or dried flakes) and condiments that use oil such as mayo and salad dressings, and foods cooked in them like fried foods, and supplements like fish oil, evening primrose oil, are the main problems dietary wise. I think the obsession with protein may contribute as well because the pancreas in involved with amino acid metaboilsm. There are some who argue that dairy causes an autoimmune response which causes T1D but I'm not fully convinced though it may be true for some.

Some type 2 take insulin because they are so insulin resistant. Also I think the beta cells become impaired in type 2 once it has advanced.

I have the AMA on the line and they're quite interested :writer::cool

It's actually not a phone but a pencil if you look closely :eyes: but yeah diabetes mellitus seems to mean just sweet urine so it seems kind of generic. I guess type 2 would be more of a swamping of the cells in your body which feels different from just a disfunction of an organ.

Tarmander

For type 1s, it's not just about insulin. They also have deficiencies in Amylin, glucagon, and maybe a few other less important things.

lvysaur

Some type 2 take insulin because they are so insulin resistant. Also I think the beta cells become impaired in type 2 once it has advanced.

I wonder if this is due to increased excitation of the beta cells. Desperate need for energy output (in the form of producing insulin), met by excitatory substances (stimulating the cells beyond what they can do, killing them in the process).

Amazoniac

@Westside PUFAs
The quality of your posts has increased remarkably, I've been witnessing a lot of things that you observed in practice apply to a lot of others lords as well. I'm glad that you are willing to persist with your opinions despite the fact that you encounter a lot of resistance sometimes. By the way, I chose this thread merely because it was a recent one. Can I get an aw chucks or what?

Amazoniac

Your too kind @Amazoniac I'm just white trash from Revere, MA who happens to have an interest in nutrition because I had to force myself to get into it because I can not eat whatever I want and feel fine. I put myself through hell since getting into this by making many mistakes along the way over the last nine years. It's been a journey.
I guess that you'll never know how much you impacted people because some are shy to manifest agreement when the majority don't; others will only connect the dots in a future, when they won't even remember who posted that tiny piece of the puzzle that made an entire difference on their health. In other words, don't be discouraged and think that you are posting in vain, you'll never know how the lords all over the world are reacting to it.

schultz

You're too kind @Amazoniac. I'm just white trash from ******** who happens to have an interest in nutrition because I had to force myself to get into it because I can not eat whatever I want and feel fine. I put myself through hell since getting into this by making many mistakes along the way over the last nine years. It's been a journey.

I lived in Malden for a few years. Pretty close!

I too enjoy what you bring to the forum. It creates much needed discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazoniac

Oh, and if there's one more thing I want to comment is that many people, especially smart people like you, start a career in nutrition counseling after they learn what works. The problem is, as you mentioned (and this may or may not apply to you), the sparkle for that learning process was desperation to solve a problem. However, what many people miss is that by starting a career in that field of interest you enter a trap: you'll only be interested as long as you're somewhat ill, and to keep that enthusiasm you'll need to persist in that state; after all it's how you earn your money now; and then suffering begins. Part of you wants to leave to improve in other areas, the other part wants to stay with a safe income and with the gratitude of others that you've helped.
Ironically, I had this same conversation with haidut, and asked if what I mentioned was the reason why he didn't abandoned his current job. And his response was about being cautious that if you start earning money with a pleasure/hobby, in most cases (not all), you fall into many traps and it's no longer a pleasure, it's a duty.
Just something for you and many people here to consider.

I didn't mean to deviate from the subject of the thread with those comments and to turn this into a lounge.
The diabetes nomenclature is indeed confusing..

rei

The patient does not need to inject insulin but instead needs to take drugs to lower blood glucose to keep it from getting too high too quickly because it takes much longer for them to metabolism glucose than a normal person.

Type 2 is simply carbohydrate toxicity. You don't need to take any drug that lowers blood glucose. (insulin being the go-to alternative). You only need to cut out excess carbs! It really is as easy as that! Most type 2 diabetics can reverse and cure their disease by cutting out carbs for a period and then limit them in the future, no need for insulin, metformin etc.

OP
Westside PUFAs
Type 2 is simply carbohydrate toxicity. You don't need to take any drug that lowers blood glucose. (insulin being the go-to alternative). You only need to cut out excess carbs! It really is as easy as that! Most type 2 diabetics can reverse and cure their disease by cutting out carbs for a period and then limit them in the future, no need for insulin, metformin etc.

I disagree. Check out these videos for a different view.

rei

I will check them out later today & tomorrow and get back to you.

But what i wrote is the concept i apply in my practice, and not one 'patient' has had 'side effects' following this advice and they all got cured. Cured here means no need for glucose meds. Not that they can eat carbs freely. But as i said, i will get back to you once i have the time to put 1.5 hours into those videos ;)

rei

hoo-lee-fuk. I watched 3 minutes of the first video to arrive at the first retarded claim: it is not possible for a normal human to satisfy their daily caloric need by just eating plants. WTF really?

Please argue this away before i continue wasting my time watching these.

Mjhl85

I will check them out later today & tomorrow and get back to you.

But what i wrote is the concept i apply in my practice, and not one 'patient' has had 'side effects' following this advice and they all got cured. Cured here means no need for glucose meds. Not that they can eat carbs freely. But as i said, i will get back to you once i have the time to put 1.5 hours into those videos ;)

Yea that's not really a solution. You have them in limbo. Sorry, try again.

rei

I don't think i made myself very clear. Just because the body can handle serious carb overfeeding for some time does not mean it is healthy or sustainable. At some point you reach the limit, and you start becoming t2d. At this point some damage has happened and the compensation is not able to handle it. You can reverse the disease progression by stopping the overfeeding, but you will not get back to the ability to overfeed without problems.

Life is a process of building up and then decay. Some damage simply cannot be reversed since we are not built that way. A lizard can regrow a limb, a human cannot.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals