Diabetes Drug Induces MPB!!! Complete reversal after stopping treatment.

GorillaHead

If this study is to be trusted. Then we just made a huge leap in understanding male pattern baldness.

MPB is almost certainly related to insulin without a doubt as both genes related to insulin have been implicated. and conditions such as myotonic dytrophy highly correlated to mpb and also have insulin related pathology.

I will need to spend more time to understand if increasing dpp-4 is the simple solution to stopping the hairloss or if the drug does more than just inhibit dpp-4.

This is is exciting.

GenericName86

Well if inhibiting dpp-4 is involved in mpb then then things like berberine would be bad for hair? At least those with mpb? It's a dpp-4 inhibitor I believe.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Well if inhibiting dpp-4 is involved in mpb then then things like berberine would be bad for hair? At least those with mpb? It's a dpp-4 inhibitor I believe.
Perhaps yes in men at least if we assume thats what happened.

Quelsatron

Could possibly just be random spot hairloss that happened to center on the vertex, there are many different kinds of alopecia which are much easier to cure than androgenic alopecia

Tim Lundeen

It would have been interesting to have 24-hour continuous glucose readings for this patient. The drug suppresses glucagon, but you need glucagon during the night to keep blood glucose in a normal range. It's possible that low glucose during the night stressed hair follicles, and that caused the hair loss. Not convinced that DPP4 is directly related to hair loss.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

It would have been interesting to have 24-hour continuous glucose readings for this patient. The drug suppresses glucagon, but you need glucagon during the night to keep blood glucose in a normal range. It's possible that low glucose during the night stressed hair follicles, and that caused the hair loss. Not convinced that DPP4 is directly related to hair loss.
Fair. But dpp-4 and dpp-8 receptors found in the skin. Remember that

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Excellent point :):
There is also the fact patient in the study could be suffering from central cicatricial alopecia which i have seen manifests just like mpb in which case a study showed topical metdormin regrew hair.

Tim Lundeen

There is also the fact patient in the study could be suffering from central cicatricial alopecia which i have seen manifests just like mpb in which case a study showed topical metdormin regrew hair.
Metformin reduces ROS from mitochondria complex I (Metformin-Induced Mitochondrial Complex I Inhibition: Facts, Uncertainties, and Consequences - PubMed), so would not be surprising if it helped alopecia (by reducing ROS). Unlikely that this is the optimal solution, seems like it would be better to keep complex I working.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals