DHT Causes Hair Loss, You Sure About That?

mrchibbs

Hi. This is just an update. I did as you said . I dissolved 2500mg of powder in 10ml of ethanol. This went well. However, when I added water to the alcohol solution, the powder reappeared. And because it was a fair amount of powder, it started to overflow. I think that the reason for why this happened is that the powder is not terribly soluble in water. In the end, I did it over and dissolved 300mg of powder in 30 ml of ethanol instead. This made for a 1% solution (10mg/ml). Yesterday, I applied it to my scalp for the first time. A dropper full of the solution (about 1ml) is plenty to spread over the area of my scalp before it evaporates. I’ll report here with any results I might get in the near future. Wish me luck. :):

Great job! You're the first person I've seen who went ahead and tried to replicate Papa & Kligman's study. I worry that an alcohol only solution may be a little drying and irritating to your scalp, so maybe you can add MCT oil instead of water for your next batch.

At any rate, it's all about finding a solution that works for you so you can stick with a daily application long term. The effects of hormones are very slow and cumulative, but if it becomes a habit like brushing your teeth, you might indeed be surprised at the benefits and results for your hair in several months to a year. Certainly, no significant cosmetic results should be expected in the near future though.

It may also have systemic effect to due to absorption, which is another benefit.

Apple

Hi. This is just an update. I did as you said . I dissolved 2500mg of powder in 10ml of ethanol. This went well. However, when I added water to the alcohol solution, the powder reappeared. And because it was a fair amount of powder, it started to overflow. I think that the reason for why this happened is that the powder is not terribly soluble in water. In the end, I did it over and dissolved 300mg of powder in 30 ml of ethanol instead. This made for a 1% solution (10mg/ml). Yesterday, I applied it to my scalp for the first time. A dropper full of the solution (about 1ml) is plenty to spread over the area of my scalp before it evaporates. I’ll report here with any results I might get in the near future. Wish me luck. :):
You could also try dermaroller on top of that

mrchibbs

You could also try dermaroller on top of that

Dermaroller is risky. If your metabolic issues are not in order and wound healing processes aren't adequate, it could just make matters worse instead of helping.

It causes injury to stimulate renewal, so it can be helpful as is obvious from countless of stories of guys regrowing some hair with dermarolling, but there are also others who just cause more fibrosis.

Spacing out the dermarolling sessions appropriately (10-14 days), and using red light on the scalp to improve wound healing, along with the topical, could mitigate the risks while providing more benefits. It's still a long term thing.

Apple

Dermaroller is risky. If your metabolic issues are not in order and wound healing processes aren't adequate, it could just make matters worse instead of helping.

It causes injury to stimulate renewal, so it can be helpful as is obvious from countless of stories of guys regrowing some hair with dermarolling, but there are also others who just cause more fibrosis.

Spacing out the dermarolling sessions appropriately (10-14 days), and using red light on the scalp to improve wound healing, along with the topical, could mitigate the risks while providing more benefits. It's still a long term thing.
Dermaroller has been useless for me so far, but this guy is going to use testosterone on scalp. Surely testosterone will boost regenerative abilities of tisssue, I think it is worthy to try.
Too many positive comments on the internet about dermaroller , i wouldn't deny it

mrchibbs

Dermaroller has been useless for me so far, but this guy is going to use testosterone on scalp. Surely testosterone will boost regenerative abilities of tisssue, I think it is worthy to try.
Too many positive comments on the internet about dermaroller , i wouldn't deny it

I did not deny its potential benefits, but many guys have made their scalp worse with it. It's a fine line.

Gerard1989

I did not deny its potential benefits, but many guys have made their scalp worse with it. It's a fine line.
To be honest, I do not feel comfortable with the idea of inflicting damage, however minute, in order to stimulate regeneration. The reason is that I tried using a scalp massaging device at one time on the balding areas of my scalp and it made things worse. Whatever little hair that I had left around my hairline was lost because of that. But I feel confident that Testosterone applied topically will restore the tissue in the balding areas in time.

mrchibbs

To be honest, I do not feel comfortable with the idea of inflicting damage, however minute, in order to stimulate regeneration. The reason is that I tried using a scalp massaging device at one time on the balding areas of my scalp and it made things worse. Whatever little hair that I had left around my hairline was lost because of that. But I feel confident that Testosterone applied topically will restore the tissue in the balding areas in time.

I think this is why Danny Roddy is so cautious about dermarolling/massages. He's consulted with hundreds of men at this point who have experienced worsening of their hair with mechanical stimulation while still suffering from a subpar metabolism and/or inflammation.

It can work, but I think it's an "advanced" form of therapy.

Good luck to you on the testosterone! I hope you stick to it!

Gerard1989

I think this is why Danny Roddy is so cautious about dermarolling/massages. He's consulted with hundreds of men at this point who have experienced worsening of their hair with mechanical stimulation while still suffering from a subpar metabolism and/or inflammation.

It can work, but I think it's an "advanced" form of therapy.

Good luck to you on the testosterone! I hope you stick to it!
Thank you. I have a question. With regards to the Papa & Kligman study, did you pay to view the study’s contents in their entirety? I’m thinking of doing this with not only this study but a few others as opposed to just reading abstracts all the time. Was wondering if anyone else does this and if it’s worth the money.

stoic

Thank you. I have a question. With regards to the Papa & Kligman study, did you pay to view the study’s contents in their entirety? I’m thinking of doing this with not only this study but a few others as opposed to just reading abstracts all the time. Was wondering if anyone else does this and if it’s worth the money.

mrchibbs

Never pay just to read a study, use sci-hub as @stoic linked above.

S

StayPositive

Hi, what was your experience with topical testosterone on your scalp?

Gerard1989

Hi, what was your experience with topical testosterone on your scalp?
Hello. I am sorry to say that I have long since stopped applying Testosterone on my scalp. I have these tiny raised bumps on my scalp, that are traceable to some bacteria I think, and that were there long before I started applying the Ethanol-Testosterone solution on my scalp, but applying the solution really aggravated those bumps and so I stopped. I do not think it was the Testosterone that did it, however, but rather the Ethanol, which is denatured. These days I take a hefty dose of Progesterone orally instead. I take 50mg of Progest-e daily and I started doing this at the beginning of October. So far, it has made a difference only to the hairs growing from those areas on my scalp that are not balding. Those hairs are now lush and thick, thanks to the Progesterone but I have not noticed any difference to the hairs, or lack of hairs rather, on my hairline and crown. I now look like Heihachi Mishima from Tekken. Lol. I love taking Progesterone though. It is such a godsend. I am not sure what would have become of me in my adult life had I not discovered it. I think I would have met with an early demise, probably.

JamesGatz

Oddly enough - I start to lose strands whenever I am on the computer for long periods of time - even if I have f.lux and doing a lot to block the blue light it seems its never enough to block the backlit display stress - what I have been doing recently is experiment with EMF-blocking film -

feels amazing - i once had it taped to my monitor and my laptop broke for a day so now I am more careful with it - what I do is hold it a few inches away from the monitor and at a angle - my hairline looks a lot healthier now - I do think stress is the ultimate cause of hair loss - strands falling out when DHT is high I think occurs because if one doesn't raise progesterone with it I feel like high DHT may raise adrenaline or something similar and lead to stress - it's all just stress in my view but I do think these electronics play a major role in more people losing their hair

mrchibbs

Oddly enough - I start to lose strands whenever I am on the computer for long periods of time - even if I have f.lux and doing a lot to block the blue light it seems its never enough to block the backlit display stress - what I have been doing recently is experiment with EMF-blocking film -

feels amazing - i once had it taped to my monitor and my laptop broke for a day so now I am more careful with it - what I do is hold it a few inches away from the monitor and at a angle - my hairline looks a lot healthier now - I do think stress is the ultimate cause of hair loss - strands falling out when DHT is high I think occurs because if one doesn't raise progesterone with it I feel like high DHT may raise adrenaline or something similar and lead to stress - it's all just stress in my view but I do think these electronics play a major role in more people losing their hair

EMF affects cellular health at a deep level, along with vaccines, PUFAs and the myriad of other environmental toxins we're really getting messed up and it will have transgenerational effects which may have devastating ripple effects.

And yes, ultimately stress has always been able to cause hair loss, going back to antiquity. But most people, with basic natural foods, activity and sunshine had sufficient energetic resources to keep chronic stress at bay, that is until the past few decades. Hence why we're starting to see hair loss in extremely young people and even children more and more.

I think DHT is protective/adaptive just like DHEA. It's there to compensate for chronic elevated stress hormones like aldosterone, cortisol, prolactin etc. However, it is not ideal unlike progesterone, and it can probably have adverse ''androgenizing'' effects like unsightly body hair growth and inappropriate bone/tissue growth which can affect the scalp negatively. DHT is anti-inflammatory and promotes wound-healing in tissues, so it's unlikely that it has any direct deleterious effect on the hair follicle, but it could have an indirect effect as part of the downstream cascade.

Back
Top Bottom