DHEA Solution for topical application, how to make it?

BrianF

The price of buying DHEA drops is too high even before shipping.

I can buy DHEA powder and create my own solution. Anyone willing to advise on the best carrier method , ratios or any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks in advance?

johnwester130

The price of buying DHEA drops is too high even before shipping.

I can buy DHEA powder and create my own solution. Anyone willing to advise on the best carrier method , ratios or any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks in advance?

personal experience:

5 grams DHEA in 60ml Fractionatd Coconut oil = cloudy, it didn't mix, just made the oil milky white

5 grams DHEA in 30ml vitamin E/30ml Fractionated Coconut oil = still cloudy, did not mix at all. the oil is just milky white

5 grams DHEA in 30ml rubbing alcohol/30ml fractionated coconut oil = the solution is totally clear. I assume the DHEA is 100% dissolved into the liquid

so mixing the oil with alcohol worked for me

I assume that 100% alcohol will also dissolve it - this may be too harsh though

Last edited:
OP
B

BrianF

personal experience:

5 grams DHEA in 60ml Fractionatd Coconut oil = cloudy, it didn't mix, just made the oil milky white

5 grams DHEA in 30ml vitamin E/30ml Fractionated Coconut oil = still cloudy, did not mix at all. the oil is just milky white

5 grams DHEA in 30ml rubbing alcohol/30ml fractionated coconut oil = the solution is totally clear. I assume the DHEA is 100% dissolved into the liquid

so mixing the oil with alcohol worked for me

I assume that 100% alcohol will also dissolve it - this may be too harsh though
Which strength/type of alcohol did you use, john?

OP
B

BrianF

Which strength/type of alcohol did you use, john - sorry, I have no experience of this (rubbing alcohol is what we call 'surgical spirit' here in the UK for some reason).

Pablo Cruise

I would dissolve the DHEA in the IPA first. My guess is 70%-91% IPA (isopropyl alc) would work fine. Methanol may be better.

Here is a recommended vehicle for solution: 5%DMSO+30% PEG300+5%Tween 80+ddH2O. Do that in order. start with Dissolve the DHEA in DMSO.
Tween, DMSO all readily purchasable. It is a nice smooth product, not drying or irritating. It appears DHEA is unstable past 24 hours in solution, see below.

"CAYMAN CHEMICAL1180 EAST ELLSWORTH RDANN ARBOR, MI 48108 · USAPHONE: [800] 364-9897 [734] 971-3335FAX: [734] 971-3640CUSTSERV@CAYMANCHEM.COMWWW.CAYMANCHEM.COMDehydroepiandrostero neItem No. 15728CAS Registry No.: 53-43-0Formal Name: 5-androsten-3β-ol-17-oneSynonyms:Androstenolone, trans-Dehydroandrosterone, DHEA, Diandrone, NSC 9896, Prasterone, Psicosterone MF: C19H28O2FW:288.4Purity:≥98%Stability:≥2 years at -20°CSupplied as: A crystalline solidLaboratory Procedures For long term storage, we suggest that dehydroepiandrostero ne (DHEA) be stored as supplied at -20°C. It should be stable for at least two years. DHEA is supplied as a crystalline solid. A stock solution may be made by dissolving the DHEA in the solvent of choice. DHEA is soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol, DMSO, and dimethyl formamide, which should be purged with an inert gas. The solubility of DHEA in these solvents is approximately 10, 15, and 25 mg/ml, respectively. DHEA is sparingly soluble in aqueous buffers. For maximum solubility in aqueous buffers, DHEA should first be dissolved in DMSO and then diluted with the aqueous buffer of choice. DHEA has a solubility of approximately0.5 mg/ml in a 1:1 solution of DMSO:PBS (pH 7.2) using this method. We do not recommend storing the aqueous solution for more than one day.

Last edited:

johnwester130

I would dissolve the DHEA in the IPA first. My guess is 70%-91% IPA (isopropyl alc) would work fine. Methanol may be better.

Here is a recommended vehicle for solution: 5%DMSO+30% PEG300+5%Tween 80+ddH2O. Do that in order. start with Dissolve the DHEA in DMSO.
Tween, DMSO all readily purchasable. It is a nice smooth product, not drying or irritating. It appears DHEA is unstable past 24 hours in solution, see below.

"CAYMAN CHEMICAL1180 EAST ELLSWORTH RDANN ARBOR, MI 48108 · USAPHONE: [800] 364-9897 [734] 971-3335FAX: [734] 971-3640CUSTSERV@CAYMANCHEM.COMWWW.CAYMANCHEM.COMDehydroepiandrostero neItem No. 15728CAS Registry No.: 53-43-0Formal Name: 5-androsten-3β-ol-17-oneSynonyms:Androstenolone, trans-Dehydroandrosterone, DHEA, Diandrone, NSC 9896, Prasterone, Psicosterone MF: C19H28O2FW:288.4Purity:≥98%Stability:≥2 years at -20°CSupplied as: A crystalline solidLaboratory Procedures For long term storage, we suggest that dehydroepiandrostero ne (DHEA) be stored as supplied at -20°C. It should be stable for at least two years. DHEA is supplied as a crystalline solid. A stock solution may be made by dissolving the DHEA in the solvent of choice. DHEA is soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol, DMSO, and dimethyl formamide, which should be purged with an inert gas. The solubility of DHEA in these solvents is approximately 10, 15, and 25 mg/ml, respectively. DHEA is sparingly soluble in aqueous buffers. For maximum solubility in aqueous buffers, DHEA should first be dissolved in DMSO and then diluted with the aqueous buffer of choice. DHEA has a solubility of approximately0.5 mg/ml in a 1:1 solution of DMSO:PBS (pH 7.2) using this method. We do not recommend storing the aqueous solution for more than one day.

methanol and isopropyl alcohol are both toxic

ethyl alcohol is the alcohol you get in drinks, but you are only taking it in drops anyway

retroactive

200 mg DHEA from purebulk in 4 ml of MCT oil
heated gently and stirred on the stop top until dissovled

It is soluble in olive oil. I don't know how high the concentration can go. I have done low concentrations of something like 1mg per 1ml. It was easy to measure out my dose that way. Maybe it can go up to around 50mg per 1ml. To dissolve the powder, heat up the oil a bit, and then stir the oil a lot. It may take a lot of stirring, which is why people in labs use automatic stirring devices. A lot of olive oil is [edit: might be] faked, so if you are ingesting it you may want to investigate whether the oil has been diluted with corn oil or another high PUFA oil.