DHEA + Pregnenolone Helps POTS But Kills Libido?

SB4

Hi, recently I have been applying around 6mg DHEA + 20mg Pregnenolone transdermally to my scrotum. It has massively helped my POTS symptoms (basically autonomic issues) which is a giant relief, particularly the reduced heart pounding however my libido has suffered.

My libido was very low to begin with however at the day or so of applying the cream my libido was a lot better, but after that it has now swung even lower than to start with despite my testicles being significantly larger when using the cream.

My insomnia also has increased however I offset this with inositol + lithium orotate.

Could it be the dosage is too high (I am chronically ill so things can affect me worse)? Is applying pregnenolone to the skin as well as dhea not wise? Is excess getting turned into estrogen?

I really don't want to lose the benefits it has on POTS symptoms so has anyone any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

OP
SB4

SB4

6mgs is a lot. Ray has said 5 is more than enough. I would cut it back
I am reading through threads but it's hard to find the up to date info. What is recommended for pregnenolone, do you know?

Frankdee20

I am reading through threads but it's hard to find the up to date info. What is recommended for pregnenolone, do you know?

Some suggest about a 2:1 or 1:1 ratio favoring Pregnenalone. But topical vs oral I am unsure of the equations

OP
SB4

SB4

Some suggest about a 2:1 or 1:1 ratio favoring Pregnenalone. But topical vs oral I am unsure of the equations
Thanks, will be a bit awkward with these 100mg caps. I will stay off them for a few days then try again at 2-3mg DHEA and <10mg Pregnenolone. Hopefully I will report the results here.

Wagner83

For the record Ray said he didnt see why one would use dhea topically (unless for a local condition) given its powerful effects on the brain. Haidut would say lower doses spread out during the day are betterthan big dosesat once. Im not making any recommendations btw, just forwarding some thoughts which are not mine.
Why DHEA Must Be Taken In Small Doses Only

Frankdee20

For the record Ray said he didnt see why one would use dhea topically (unless for a local condition) given its powerful effects on the brain. Haidut would say lower doses spread out during the day are betterthan big dosesat once. Im not making any recommendations btw, just forwarding some thoughts which are not mine.
Why DHEA Must Be Taken In Small Doses Only

Very interesting, for me, anything that powerfully helps the brain, I go for. If it happens to boost libido, then great. Pregnenalone, I’ve only done upwards of 25 mg daily, and can’t say it profoundly helped my brain function.

Lurker

Have you considered applying somewhere other than the jewels? Inside of arms, legs, top of feet are some of Ray’s recommendations for topicals.

• One study has found that the only hormone abnormality in a groupt of Alzheimers patients' brains was an excess of DHEA. In cell culture, DHEA can cause changes in glial cells resembling those seen in the aging brain. These observations suggest that DHEA should be used with caution. Supplements of pregnenolone and thyroid seem to be the safest way to optimize DHEA production.

OP
SB4

SB4

Thanks, I should also say that about 1.5years ago my pots got significantly worse. Before this my morning cortisol was very high and dhea low. Now my morning cortisol is very low (despite morning sunlight every day) and dhea lowish.

I figured that switch from high to low morning cortisol coincided with my POTS massively worsening. This is probably why DHEA+PREG seems to help these symptoms. Perhaps it was too high dosage though.

On reading another thread @haidut posted this "If your cortisol is low DHEA is probably not good for you. It is a powerful glucocorticoid antagonist and also an inhibitor of 11b-HSD1. So, it will push your cortisol levels even lower.
Pregnenolone or progesterone may work, but may also suppress cortisol. So, you can try and see how it affects you."
Perhaps I need a higher dose of Preg (10mg?) and lower DHEA (2-3mg?) in hopes that it will go to cortisol. Thoughts?

OP
SB4

SB4

Did you also raise your doses of these 2?
I restarted these at small doses after a few days of the effects of dhea+preg. I understand that Li can have negative effects on libido but this came on before the Li. I am now just doing the inositol anyway,

OP
SB4

SB4

I have restarted the dosages using pansterone at 1 drop in the morning every 5/6 days. I still feel that 1mg of each is too much on the first day (strong headache, insomnia) however overall over the 5/6 days I experience increased energy , decreased heart pounding and increased libido.

ddjd

particularly the reduced heart pounding however my libido has suffered.
this is purely thanks to the estrogen lowering effect.

I have a similar situation but not POTS. I get terrible problems with palpitations when my estrogen is high. and when i take everything that reduces estrogen this problem disappears but along with my libido. to be honest, im not that bothered about the libido. lowering estrogen makes such a big positive difference in many ways. dandruff stopped. sleep better. hair loss stopped. list goes on...

OP
SB4

SB4

@Joeyd Interesting, thanks. Yeah I am sticking at it for the benefits but I will have to drop it if I can't get the libido sorted. This is purely because I think it a bad sign if something is killing libido. Like, if I'm throwing that out of wack, what else is it doing?

OP
SB4

SB4

I have just received my testosterone levels when I was doing 1 drop of pansterone every 5 days. My testosterone was low; it's usually within range.

What could cause such a low dose of DHEA + PREG to suppress testosterone?

Glassy

I have just received my testosterone levels when I was doing 1 drop of pansterone every 5 days. My testosterone was low; it's usually within range.

What could cause such a low dose of DHEA + PREG to suppress testosterone?
Estrogen is the main hormone that regulates testosterone production and excess conversion will also drop your testosterone conversion. High estrogen levels will downregulate testosterone production and vice versa.

I don’t think I’d be blaming on the Pan and I’d focus on strategies to inhibit aromatase and boost test production. Do you take vit K? Tried boiled mushrooms?

aarfai

DHEA and Pregnenolone doesn't belong on the scrotum. Apply it topically on the legs/forearms or find a safe oral brand to use.

OP
SB4

SB4

Estrogen is the main hormone that regulates testosterone production and excess conversion will also drop your testosterone conversion. High estrogen levels will downregulate testosterone production and vice versa.

I don’t think I’d be blaming on the Pan and I’d focus on strategies to inhibit aromatase and boost test production. Do you take vit K? Tried boiled mushrooms?

I think you are right in that it will have increased estrogen but the question is why did such a small dose do this to me? I think almost certainly because I'm pretty ill with CFS/POTS but what mechanism is at play here? I have tried some vit K recently but had dodgy effects, can't remember what, so left it for a while, I do have mushrooms but usually fried.

I do think it was the PREG/DHEA/Pansterone since it had very noticeable instant effects, including lowered libido. I stopped taking it toward the end of February and my libido still hasn't really recovered.

DHEA and Pregnenolone doesn't belong on the scrotum. Apply it topically on the legs/forearms or find a safe oral brand to use.

Yes I since learnt this and at the time of the test I was applying it to my wrists one drop every 5/6 days. This was after a break from it, of course I could have had some lingering effects, but why has my libido not recovered since.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals