Dhea Low Dose Raises Hormones In Males

timrice23

Hi all

This is what believes me to think that low dose dhea is way better than higher dose. In the study where they gave men 50mg and 100mg the hormone profile wasnt raised at all apart from dhea and dheas.

But just look at this study i dug up that uses 25mg only and how it raised the WHOLE hormone profile of EVERYTHING.

I will be taking 25mg daily from now on because it seems low dose dhea actually works whereas higher dosages, the body does nothing with it.

Maybe an expert can come on and tell us exactly why this is? But my advice is to take 25mg or below daily to raise males hormone profiles to younger men. Anything else is a waste of time and money. Here is the study.

Where has this study been for so long and why hasnt anyone picked up on this?

Long-term low-dose dehydroepiandrosterone replacement therapy in aging males with partial androgen deficiency.
Genazzani AR1, Inglese S, Lombardi I, Pieri M, Bernardi F, Genazzani AD, Rovati L, Luisi M.
Author information
Abstract

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) age-related withdrawal is very likely to be involved in the aging process and the onset of age-related diseases, giving rise to the question of whether preventing or compensating the decline of these steroids may have endocrine and clinical benefits. The aim of the present trial was to evaluate the endocrine, neuroendocrine and clinical consequences of a long-term (1 year), low-dose (25 mg/day) replacement therapy in a group of aging men who presented the clinical characteristics of partial androgen deficiency (PADAM). Circulating DHEA, DHEAS, androstenedione, total testosterone and free testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), progesterone, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, allopregnanolone, estrone, estradiol, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), cortisol, follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) levels were evaluated monthly to assess the endocrine effects of the therapy, while beta-endorphin values were used as a marker of the neuroendocrine effects. A Kupperman questionnaire was performed to evaluate the subjective symptoms before and after treatment. The results showed a great modification of the endocrine profile; with the exception of cortisol levels, which remained unchanged, DHEA, DHEAS, androstenedione, total and free testosterone, DHT, progesterone, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, estrone, estradiol, GH, IGF-1 and beta-endorphin levels increased significantly with respect to baseline values, while FSH, LH and SHBG levels showed a significant decrease. The Kupperman score indicated a progressive improvement in mood, fatigue and joint pain. In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that 25 mg/day of DHEA is able to cause significant changes in the hormonal profile and clinical symptoms and can counteract the age-related decline of endocrine and neuroendocrine functions. Restoring DHEA levels to young adult values seems to benefit the age-related decline in physiological functions but, however promising, placebo-controlled trials are required to confirm these preliminary results.

Mossy

Hi all

This is what believes me to think that low dose dhea is way better than higher dose. In the study where they gave men 50mg and 100mg the hormone profile wasnt raised at all apart from dhea and dheas.

But just look at this study i dug up that uses 25mg only and how it raised the WHOLE hormone profile of EVERYTHING.

I will be taking 25mg daily from now on because it seems low dose dhea actually works whereas higher dosages, the body does nothing with it.

Maybe an expert can come on and tell us exactly why this is? But my advice is to take 25mg or below daily to raise males hormone profiles to younger men. Anything else is a waste of time and money. Here is the study.

Long-term low-dose dehydroepiandrosterone replacement therapy in aging males with partial androgen deficiency.
Genazzani AR1, Inglese S, Lombardi I, Pieri M, Bernardi F, Genazzani AD, Rovati L, Luisi M.
Author information
Abstract

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) age-related withdrawal is very likely to be involved in the aging process and the onset of age-related diseases, giving rise to the question of whether preventing or compensating the decline of these steroids may have endocrine and clinical benefits. The aim of the present trial was to evaluate the endocrine, neuroendocrine and clinical consequences of a long-term (1 year), low-dose (25 mg/day) replacement therapy in a group of aging men who presented the clinical characteristics of partial androgen deficiency (PADAM). Circulating DHEA, DHEAS, androstenedione, total testosterone and free testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), progesterone, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, allopregnanolone, estrone, estradiol, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), cortisol, follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) levels were evaluated monthly to assess the endocrine effects of the therapy, while beta-endorphin values were used as a marker of the neuroendocrine effects. A Kupperman questionnaire was performed to evaluate the subjective symptoms before and after treatment. The results showed a great modification of the endocrine profile; with the exception of cortisol levels, which remained unchanged, DHEA, DHEAS, androstenedione, total and free testosterone, DHT, progesterone, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, estrone, estradiol, GH, IGF-1 and beta-endorphin levels increased significantly with respect to baseline values, while FSH, LH and SHBG levels showed a significant decrease. The Kupperman score indicated a progressive improvement in mood, fatigue and joint pain. In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that 25 mg/day of DHEA is able to cause significant changes in the hormonal profile and clinical symptoms and can counteract the age-related decline of endocrine and neuroendocrine functions. Restoring DHEA levels to young adult values seems to benefit the age-related decline in physiological functions but, however promising, placebo-controlled trials are required to confirm these preliminary results.
Hello timrice, I'll be curious to see how you do on this.

I can note, that I wouldn't even necessarily call 25mg low-dose, though it is a lower dose, for sure. Many discussions on this forum talk of dosing 10mg and under. Sometimes, though, the lower dose is because its being used in conjunction with another supplement.

Here are some threads:
As far as DHEA, I think optimal doses based on extrapolation from animal studies and comparing with human studies show that DHEA is best taken in doses of <= 15mg daily, split in 2-3 doses of no more than 5mg each. I personally always take 5mg DHEA before bed since it protects form cortisol at night when the stress hormones tends to run unopposed. Combined with 5mg B6 (preferably P5P) to keep adrenalin at bay you get a nice combo for battling stress. Btw, vitamin B6 enhances 5-AR so it will boost the conversion of DHEA into DHT. In addition, B6 also blocks the cortisol, and estrogen receptors so the anti-stress effects of DHEA and B6 really amplify each other nicely.
Post.

I think we mentioned earlier that DHEA should be taken below 15mg daily and each dose is no more than 5mg. Peat's statement of physiological output of 12mg - 14mg daily matches well with the studies showing optimal results from under 15mg daily. In one rat study I posted, the human equivalent of 12mg - 14mg DHEA daily had the SAME effects as exercise and raised DHT by about 70%.
By no means am I the "expert" you're requesting, but just sharing some thoughts; and, I'm always searching for the optimal dose and success story.

Elephanto

This "low dose" already seems too high. It significantly increased estrone and estradiol, which I think is the reason why a ≤ 15mg daily intake taken in ≤ 5mg doses is recommended to prevent that. And cortisol levels were unchanged, while a 5-6mg dose is said to directly inhibit cortisol synthesis.

benaoao

yep, 12.5mg per day sounds much better. Keep in mind older people aromatize more

haidut

Forum Supporter
I’ve seen this study as well and the full paper has some sweet figures. Examples:

A275 A8 C3 3912 4 DF6 AD4 A 9 EC904 BB2087
6 F39 B77 E D378 4552 AE09 96189 FA61 F84
FCB17 D80 4 CF3 44 D4 8 A48 EED355 D0660 D

A very good publication. I wish that’s what they were all like.

I also wish we had the same type of work done on stuff like 4-AD and 1-AD.
@haidut have you ever dealt with those two?

Usually delta-1 steroids show liver toxicity. Look up 1-testosterone for more info. The 4-AD is just androstenedione, which converts into either T or estrone. So, if used, then even lower doses than DHEA should probably be taken to prevent aromatization.

Nice thread.

Can DHEA 12.5mg be taken every other day? Or maybe 3-4 days a week for an average of 5-7mg per day?
Opening up a 25mg capsule and roughly splitting it in half is the most convenient thing I could do.

sladerunner69

Hi all

Author information
Abstract

I no longer dose above 2 mg at a time, for these reasons. Even at doses <5mg I know people on the forum who have experienced high estrogen symptoms.

For people who tend to be low in e2, DHEA is a god send. I'm up to 12.5mg 4x a week with 6.25mg Proviron. Good stuff.

Steene

Nice thread.

Can DHEA 12.5mg be taken every other day? Or maybe 3-4 days a week for an average of 5-7mg per day?
Opening up a 25mg capsule and roughly splitting it in half is the most convenient thing I could do.

Dividing capsules is never a good idea you never know how much you have in the end. The content of capsules can vary strongly it isn't evenly mixed so just because you split a capsule of 50 mg doesn't mean you will have 25 mg of each side it can be 10mg and 40mg. Splitting a pill is much safer in this regard.

I didn’t mention splitting a 50mg caps actually?

Anyways. Even if it is 10+40 it will be an improvement from 50/0. My issue is living in a country where I could only purchase 25mg caps and split those in half thus getting 10/15mg per intake.