DHEA is an anti-androgen

johnwester130

Although it functions as an endogenous precursor to more potent androgens such as testosterone and DHT, DHEA has been found to possess some degree of androgenic activity in its own right, acting as a low affinity (Ki = 1 μM), weak partial agonist of the androgen receptor (AR). However, its intrinsic activity at the receptor is quite weak, and on account of that, due to competition for binding with full agonists like testosterone, it can actually behave more like an antagonist depending on circulating testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels, and hence, like an antiandrogen. However, its affinity for the receptor is very low, and for that reason, is unlikely to be of much significance under normal circumstances.[19][23]

scoobydoo

Although it functions as an endogenous precursor to more potent androgens such as testosterone and DHT, DHEA has been found to possess some degree of androgenic activity in its own right, acting as a low affinity (Ki = 1 μM), weak partial agonist of the androgen receptor (AR). However, its intrinsic activity at the receptor is quite weak, and on account of that, due to competition for binding with full agonists like testosterone, it can actually behave more like an antagonist depending on circulating testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels, and hence, like an antiandrogen. However, its affinity for the receptor is very low, and for that reason, is unlikely to be of much significance under normal circumstances.[19][23]
My guess is that it depends on dosage
High doses (which many studies use) created antiandrogenic affect due to high aromatization. Also topical use has been shown to go down a more 5ar reduced pathway which would be more optimal for androgens. @haidut any thoughts?

TripleOG

Any merit to this?

Some guy went on a tirade against DHEA on Danny Roddy telegram recently, pointing to it's anti-androgen effect from out-competing T and DHT.

OP
johnwester130

johnwester130

Any merit to this?

Some guy went on a tirade against DHEA on Danny Roddy telegram recently, pointing to it's anti-androgen effect from out-competing T and DHT.

I was writing this in jest, i am not very serious.

But honestly I don't know, i just thought it was interesting

Beastmode

50-60 mg topically dissolved in olive oil works wonders for me. Given that I'm most likely absorbing up to 10% of it, it fits within the range Peat and @haidut mention as safe. I try to do it 2 times per day as my DHEA levels are on the lower end.

Any dose taken orally, I get estrogenic symptoms.

shine

This does not take into account that DHEA gets converted to DHT in tissues.

Fidelio

Any merit to this?
That guy is olive lol. I follow him on Facebook now since he disappeared.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals