DHEA essential for absorption of DHT??

ddjd

if you watch this Joe Rogan clip, at 13 minutes 28 seconds in, the dr says that DHEA is important for allowing DHT to get into the cells.

he then says DHT is essential for sugar to get into the myocyte/ muscles.

ive not heard about this in the peat community

is this generally regarded as accurate??

haidut

Forum Supporter

That part is true, and this is why DHT helps with sugar metabolism and insulin sensitivity. I think a few older studies showed that administering T with a 5-AR inhibitor almost completely removes the beneficial effects of TRT on glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity, which to me confirms that DHT is the the actual beneficial agent in TRT when it comes to metabolism/OXPHOS. By itself, T still has cortisol and estrogen antagonism, but also can raise estrogen so TRT would probably be hit or miss for a lot of people if used on its own without something like say progesterone or pregnenolone to control estrogenic side effects.
I don't think the comment on DHEA is accurate. There is nothing unique to DHEA that controls uptake of DHT into the cell. In fact, DHT is more lipophilic and as such gets inside the cell quite easily. More lipohilic chemicals like pregnenolone, cholesterol, or saturated PC can and do help with androgen uptake into the cell though. Caffeine does as well.

Dhair

if you watch this Joe Rogan clip, at 13 minutes 28 seconds in, the dr says that DHEA is important for allowing DHT to get into the cells.

ive not heard about this in the peat community

is this generally regarded as accurate??

I know this isn't really related to the topic at hand, but I find it irritating that there are so many doctors who are involved in this kind of self-promotion of their practice. It does not sit right with me at all, and it's very discouraging and depressing knowing that Gordon and Goldstein in San Diego are basically the only two doctors in the US who are attempting to treat post-finasteride syndrome, yet they both engage in this type of behavior. They seem to push patients to help them get media exposure and make extraordinary claims about their successes while minimizing their failures. It's no wonder so many people dismiss the idea of hormonal therapies as alternative treatment for disease. These people don't exactly help the cause.

Kram

I know this isn't really related to the topic at hand, but I find it irritating that there are so many doctors who are involved in this kind of self-promotion of their practice. It does not sit right with me at all, and it's very discouraging and depressing knowing that Gordon and Goldstein in San Diego are basically the only two doctors in the US who are attempting to treat post-finasteride syndrome, yet they both engage in this type of behavior. They seem to push patients to help them get media exposure and make extraordinary claims about their successes while minimizing their failures. It's no wonder so many people dismiss the idea of hormonal therapies as alternative treatment for disease. These people don't exactly help the cause.
A lot of his suggestions (fix diet and nutrition, use pregnenolone / DHEA, b-vitamins, lower inflammation etc.) are much better than being prescribed harmful pharmaceuticals by your typical doctor. As such, I have no problem with self-promotion as most people with chronic issues get no help from the mainstream and are not aware there are better alternatives out there.

takx12

moreplatesmoredates did a video on this topic. Should be this one:

He pretty much said that these things are wrong