DHEA causes fat-loss and improved glucose metabolism in humans

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another study corroborating the role of DHEA as one of the "youth" hormones. A recent study already demonstrated that DHEA can reverse aging of the human immune system, which usually goes hand in hand with lower cortisol and improved metabolism. The proven anti-cortisol effects of DHEA are probably the reason behind its effects on decreasing fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity seen in the study below. Other important findings included the rise of estrogen (estradiol) in both men and women, as well as the rise in testosterone (T) in women only. The rise in estrogen is not at all surprising considering that the DHEA dosage used was 50mg daily for 6 months - a dose that is 4-5 times higher than the physiological production of DHEA in healthy young humans (10mg-15mg daily). As such, I suspect that if the daily dosage was physiological (10mg-15mg daily) instead of pharmacological (20mg+ daily) the results would have been just as positive, but without the proven risks of elevated estrogen in elderly humans, in whom estrogen levels (in the form of estrone and estrone sulfate) not only do not decline but are higher than their younger peers. In fact, if a lower DHEA dosage was used so that estrogen is not elevated, this would have probably resulted in even more potent anti-cortisol (and, thus, fat-loss and insulin-sensitizing) effects of DHEA due to the fact that estrogen promotes cortisol release. Yet another example of how "less is more" is a core principle in supplementation (and even pharma drug administration).

Effect of DHEA on Abdominal Fat and Insulin Action in Elderly Women and Men

"...Significant decreases in abdominal visceral fat occurred during the 6 months of DHEA replacement (TABLE 3). These decreases were of similar magnitude in the men and women in absolute terms. The decrease in visceral fat relative to initial values averaged 10.2% in the women and 7.4% in the men. The DHEA therapy also resulted in a significant decrease in abdominal subcutaneous fat, averaging approximately 6% in both the men and women."

"...The insulin AUC during the OGTT was significantly reduced after 6 months of DHEA replacement therapy (TABLE 4). Despite the lower insulin levels, the glucose AUC was unchanged, providing evidence for an improvement in insulin action. This improvement is reflected in a significant increase in the insulin sensitivity index (Table 4). There was an inverse correlation between the changes in insulin sensitivity index and visceral fat area (R=–0.50, P=.003)."

"...We found in this preliminary study that DHEA reduced abdominal fat and improved insulin sensitivity index. Larger studies, however, will be needed to verify our findings and should include patient groups that are fully representative of the population at risk."

Fexxx

DHEA makes me super lethargic and I gained weight. Even …or like you pointed out.. especially on low doses :( . So this is no Option for already low Cortisol guys.

T

TheBeard

DHEA makes me super lethargic and I gained weight. Even …or like you pointed out.. especially on low doses :( . So this is no Option for already low Cortisol guys.

You need to push through the initial lethargy. Cortisol will eventually adjust.

sweetpeat

Have you tried taking it in the evening? That's what I do to avoid it tanking my low daytime cortisol.

PolishSun

DHEA helps me concentrate on boring work, like house cleaning. If I know that I have a boring task to do, I use like 2 mg.

Another study corroborating the role of DHEA as one of the "youth" hormones. A recent study already demonstrated that DHEA can reverse aging of the human immune system, which usually goes hand in hand with lower cortisol and improved metabolism. The proven anti-cortisol effects of DHEA are probably the reason behind its effects on decreasing fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity seen in the study below. Other important findings included the rise of estrogen (estradiol) in both men and women, as well as the rise in testosterone (T) in women only. The rise in estrogen is not at all surprising considering that the DHEA dosage used was 50mg daily for 6 months - a dose that is 4-5 times higher than the physiological production of DHEA in healthy young humans (10mg-15mg daily). As such, I suspect that if the daily dosage was physiological (10mg-15mg daily) instead of pharmacological (20mg+ daily) the results would have been just as positive, but without the proven risks of elevated estrogen in elderly humans, in whom estrogen levels (in the form of estrone and estrone sulfate) not only do not decline but are higher than their younger peers. In fact, if a lower DHEA dosage was used so that estrogen is not elevated, this would have probably resulted in even more potent anti-cortisol (and, thus, fat-loss and insulin-sensitizing) effects of DHEA due to the fact that estrogen promotes cortisol release. Yet another example of how "less is more" is a core principle in supplementation (and even pharma drug administration).

"...Significant decreases in abdominal visceral fat occurred during the 6 months of DHEA replacement (TABLE 3). These decreases were of similar magnitude in the men and women in absolute terms. The decrease in visceral fat relative to initial values averaged 10.2% in the women and 7.4% in the men. The DHEA therapy also resulted in a significant decrease in abdominal subcutaneous fat, averaging approximately 6% in both the men and women."

"...The insulin AUC during the OGTT was significantly reduced after 6 months of DHEA replacement therapy (TABLE 4). Despite the lower insulin levels, the glucose AUC was unchanged, providing evidence for an improvement in insulin action. This improvement is reflected in a significant increase in the insulin sensitivity index (Table 4). There was an inverse correlation between the changes in insulin sensitivity index and visceral fat area (R=–0.50, P=.003)."

"...We found in this preliminary study that DHEA reduced abdominal fat and improved insulin sensitivity index. Larger studies, however, will be needed to verify our findings and should include patient groups that are fully representative of the population at risk."
I’m sorry to ask this here but cannot message you @haidut

im trying to determine if the white bottle droppers idealabs sell are suitable for me to reuse and make a dmso supplement in. Are they same as the clear dropper bottles the magnoil in dmso come in?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I’m sorry to ask this here but cannot message you @haidut

im trying to determine if the white bottle droppers idealabs sell are suitable for me to reuse and make a dmso supplement in. Are they same as the clear dropper bottles the magnoil in dmso come in?

Yes, either the white or transparent ones should work and are reusable.

brocktoon

Interesting point on the potential role dhea has regarding visceral fat loss (and improved insulin sensitivity). I've lost 20 pounds over the last year and a half, but my visceral fat/VAT may not have decreased nearly as much as my subcutaneous fat based on MRI results showing my liver remains quite fatty. While I may experiment with supplements like dhea and glycine, what are your thoughts Haidut on HIIT (sprinting specifically) for VAT reduction in particular? Thoughts anyone?

tankasnowgod

Other important findings included the rise of estrogen (estradiol) in both men and women, as well as the rise in testosterone (T) in women only. The rise in estrogen is not at all surprising considering that the DHEA dosage used was 50mg daily for 6 months - a dose that is 4-5 times higher than the physiological production of DHEA in healthy young humans (10mg-15mg daily). As such, I suspect that if the daily dosage was physiological (10mg-15mg daily) instead of pharmacological (20mg+ daily) the results would have been just as positive, but without the proven risks of elevated estrogen in elderly humans, in whom estrogen levels (in the form of estrone and estrone sulfate) not only do not decline but are higher than their younger peers.
There might be another option..... using the pharmacological doses of DHEA, but also controlling for estrogen. In another thread, someone posted an article by Marcus Gitterle who suggested a DHEA + AI combo, instead of TRT-

While Gitterle recommends Letrozole, he does suggest small doses, basically the equivalent of 3-4 pills (less than 10mg) a YEAR. Instead of 1mg a day, he thinks 25-50 mcg is enough to reduce estrogen, and will help to minimize sides. Exemestane in small doses would likely work just as well (such as the 2.5mg a day dose), and present fewer potential side effects.

It would be really cool to see a study compare all of these methods.... Group A gets 50mg DHEA, Group B gets 10mg DHEA, Group C gets 50mg DHEA plus AI, and Group D gets 10mg DHEA plus AI.

Regardless, it seems the hormone path is the better way for long term weight (fat) loss, especially with that 11 year study on TRT patients I posted recently.

Jessie

There might be another option..... using the pharmacological doses of DHEA, but also controlling for estrogen. In another thread, someone posted an article by Marcus Gitterle who suggested a DHEA + AI combo, instead of TRT-

While Gitterle recommends Letrozole, he does suggest small doses, basically the equivalent of 3-4 pills (less than 10mg) a YEAR. Instead of 1mg a day, he thinks 25-50 mcg is enough to reduce estrogen, and will help to minimize sides. Exemestane in small doses would likely work just as well (such as the 2.5mg a day dose), and present fewer potential side effects.

It would be really cool to see a study compare all of these methods.... Group A gets 50mg DHEA, Group B gets 10mg DHEA, Group C gets 50mg DHEA plus AI, and Group D gets 10mg DHEA plus AI.

Regardless, it seems the hormone path is the better way for long term weight (fat) loss, especially with that 11 year study on TRT patients I posted recently.
What is your opinion about mixing pharmacological doses with progesterone, or androsterone? The latter being particularly effective at blocking estrogen in animal studies.

GreekDemiGod

Same here, it converted to Estrogen for me.
I recently read that DHEA will more likely convert to Estrogen in a high-endotoxin state, which made sense for me.

Sampa

I am used to prescribe a combo of dhea + exemestane + low dose clomiphene + boron to clients that don't fit to testosterone replacement therapy, very good results.

Jessie

Same here, it converted to Estrogen for me.
I recently read that DHEA will more likely convert to Estrogen in a high-endotoxin state, which made sense for me.
Try it dissolved in progest-e. Progest-e will deactivate endotoxin and inhibit the aromatase, so it should yield better results.

dukesbobby777

I am used to prescribe a combo of dhea + exemestane + low dose clomiphene + boron to clients that don't fit to testosterone replacement therapy, very good results.

Can you explain the logic behind that prescription, and at what dosages? I'd be willing to give that a try. I would just have to buy some exemestane.

Sampa

Sure buddy
DHEA = Backfill androgen precursor
Exe = weak LH boost and aromatase/E2 control
Clo = Stronger LH boost
Boron=lowering shbg if too high (if it doesn't work, low dose mesterolone)
All chemicals are easy acess by compound pharmacies in Brazil. (Rx only)
The dosages would varies according to baseline T, E2, S-DHEA, LH, PRL(If high, an anti PRL may be necessary).

dukesbobby777

Sure buddy
DHEA = Backfill androgen precursor
Exe = weak LH boost and aromatase/E2 control
Clo = Stronger LH boost
Boron=lowering shbg if too high (if it doesn't work, low dose mesterolone)
All chemicals are easy acess by compound pharmacies in Brazil. (Rx only)
The dosages would varies according to baseline T, E2, S-DHEA, LH, PRL(If high, an anti PRL may be necessary).

Wow cool, thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals