DHEA And Hair?

showmo

Does anyone know why Ray would recommend topical DHEA (I assumed on the scalp) for combating hair loss? Other than it’s said to be a youth hormone of sorts.

I am wondering if anyone can speak to the mechanics behind why it might be useful.

To be honest, I am a little confused as DHEA is known for increasing DHT, which doesn’t seem to have a favourable relationship with the balding scalp – or at least the conventional thinking has been that the later conversion of it downstream into PGD2 is said to maybe affect inflammation, etc. and is a big contributor in some way.

I am also quite confused about the estrogenic conversion of DHEA that I have been reading about on threads.

From what I have been able to glean, adding too much DHEA results in estrogenic effects, but also adding DHEA into an already estrogenic environment may make things worse? This part confuses me a bit. Or am I misunderstanding?

I’m not sure if a balding scalp would be consistent with a more estrogenic state or an androgenic state at this point. Though it seems some Peatarians believe that an estrogen dominance of the body, if not the scalp itself (if that's even possible), is a factor in hair loss.

Nonetheless, this recommendation seems counter-intuitive, and I am wondering if anyone might have a guess at the reasoning behind it.

Thanks.

johnwester130

fdsgdfgdfg.png

it won't work if being honest

Sol Invictus

Ray said to use it with progesterone, not alone. I guess Dhea would antagonize cortisol and progesterone would antagonize estrogen. Dht or testosterone is not directly responsible for hair loss if so all 18 to 25 year old males would be bald.

OP
S

showmo

Okay, interesting. Thank you very much for your replies.

Agent207

Dht or testosterone is not directly responsible for hair loss if so all 18 to 25 year old males would be bald.

Of course it IS, a key factor when you have a high density 5-ar scalp. But this does not occur in all people; thats why is called AGA, androGENETIC alopecia.

There other forms of alopecia where dht is not involved, however.

Sol Invictus

Of course it IS, a key factor when you have a high density 5-ar scalp. But this does not occur in all people; thats why is called AGA, androGENETIC alopecia.

There other forms of alopecia where dht is not involved, however.

But isn't rising estrogen responsible for the high density DHT?

Agent207

Yes, but that is just aggravating the problem, making the situation worse. If you have a blessed scalp with little to none 5-ar no problem (no problem as for AGA, but high estrogen may trigger other problems that can lead to other forms of hair loss).

I see lots of people around here use to mix up AGA with other typical forms and causes for hair loss. You can have multiple types of hairloss simultaneously, but AGA is AGA.

DKayJoe

DHT does not cause hair loss

fdsgdfgdfg.png

This is nice, but can you explain how bald people with AGA can have successful hair transplants through this? Or how LLT can regrow hair?

I'm not an expert but it seems to me that if the head shape was the defining factor in cutting blood flow to the follicle and causing hair loss then transplanted hair follicles would not regrow anything as the blood flow to the affected region was already constricted to the point of killing off the cells...instead what I seem to see online is a repeat of AGA on transplanted hair indicating that fluctuating factors are the definitive cause of AGA.

I agree that head shape may make you more susceptible as there are people who clearly suffer AGA who do not go fully bald, rather they thin out to the point you can see the entire scalp.

Another thing that can't be explained by this is that in some cases the odd hair follicle remains unaffected in an otherwise bald area, surely if the head shape caused the hair to die then a single follicle growing normally could not exist?

johnwester130

This is nice, but can you explain how bald people with AGA can have successful hair transplants through this? Or how LLT can regrow hair?

I'm not an expert but it seems to me that if the head shape was the defining factor in cutting blood flow to the follicle and causing hair loss then transplanted hair follicles would not regrow anything as the blood flow to the affected region was already constricted to the point of killing off the cells...instead what I seem to see online is a repeat of AGA on transplanted hair indicating that fluctuating factors are the definitive cause of AGA.

I agree that head shape may make you more susceptible as there are people who clearly suffer AGA who do not go fully bald, rather they thin out to the point you can see the entire scalp.

Another thing that can't be explained by this is that in some cases the odd hair follicle remains unaffected in an otherwise bald area, surely if the head shape caused the hair to die then a single follicle growing normally could not exist?

"
If a predisposition towards inferior “circulation” alone was really the “genetic” basis of this problem then these transplanted plugs, now dependent upon the inferior blood supply at the top of the scalp SHOULD ALL DIE, especially in a person who is already bald because of this “genetic” predisposition. But these transplants do not die and they survive a long time. In fact, if I am right, in most cases the transplants survive while the original hair on top continues to die. The transplanted plugs certainly did NOT bring with them the entire vascular system in which they were previously rooted! Why do they not die? The corollary to this is that follicles taken from a bald area and transplanted into areas in the side or back of the scalp with a richer blood supply do NOT revive and grow hair. Consequently, I decided that a tendency towards lower blood circulation could also NOT be the “genetic” trigger, or principle cause, for HAIR LOSS or male pattern baldness."

DKayJoe

Ok, I think I may of misunderstood, is the image you posted getting across that the green circle are factors for pre-disposition and the blue circle are triggers?

johnwester130

Ok, I think I may of misunderstood, is the image you posted getting across that the green circle are factors for pre-disposition and the blue circle are triggers?

no

the point is that baldness in men is CONFUSED with other things.

baldness in men = scalp muscles and head shape

hair loss = hormone and dietary problem (dhea, testosterone, estrogen etc)

it's two different things, but people confuse them as the same thing

DKayJoe

no

So why does shedding come in waves, why do some people become completely bald before others etc...your trying to say that AGA is completely controlled by the factors in the green circle? Not to mention the fact that head shape is gradually altered through age, the triggering mechanisms most probably being from hormonal shifts? Sorry it just seems like your view on things is very flawed...I will post a proper reply when I am in a more accommodating environment but factors in the green circle are also mediated through factors in the blue circle. To completely separate the two into different categories doesn't make any sense to me.

Agent207

no

Why isn't there baldness in women due to head shape?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals