Determining Effect Of Diet On Metabolism And Weight Loss/Gain Through Data Collection

OP
Cirion

Cirion

After some more brainstorming, I came up with a new parameter. It's challenging to try to optimize body temp and pulse rate as separate parameters. So I thought about it, and decided to combine both into a brand new parameter... no fancy smancy name so for now just calling it a "Fitness Function" but basically the idea is this:

% Of Optimal Body temp = Body Temp / 98.6
% Of Optimal Pulse Rate = Pulse Rate / 85

If the % is greater than 100%, then I truncate it to 100%. Also I found out that relatively speaking, the % of pulse rate varied from 70-100% whereas the body temp only varied from like 98-100%. To normalize things, I had to take the body temp ratio to an exponential, such that my worst recorded temps (97.6) were equal to 70% also. Then I basically multiply these %'s together, to come up with a fitness, or overall "Metabolic Marker" parameter, the goal of this is to make this value 100% or as close as possible. I will be putting a few plots together that show trends with this new parameter. I've already done a few and I like what I'm seeing using this, so I'll probably be using this moving forward, will post some more tomorrow.

An example: If I got a score of 80% on both temp and pulse, my overall metabolic score would be 80%*80% or 64%.

Here is a fun one to start it off (2-day rolling avg. plots, as I stil have not scored a single 100 with 3-day avg plots yet, I have to use these to work my way up to a 3 day and beyond)

upload_2019-7-8_20-30-51.png

Clearly, the ONLY time I have ever gotten a perfect 100 was with about 4,500 calories so this should probably be where I focus on caloric intake.

Macros:

% Plots
upload_2019-7-8_20-32-44.png

Just more validation for Ultra Low fat (only 100 perfect score), and low protein (Or at least focusing on very low acidity diet in general) & ultra high carb.

Intake (in grams)
upload_2019-7-8_20-43-3.png

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Curious what the data looks like when you look at copper.

I'll have to go dig that up from cronometer as that is one parameter I haven't input yet in the spreadsheet, but yeah, I can do that.

What are you expecting to see in regards to copper?

redsun

I'll have to go dig that up from cronometer as that is one parameter I haven't input yet in the spreadsheet, but yeah, I can do that.

What are you expecting to see in regards to copper?

Copper is one of the most dangerous trace minerals for humans. Necessary for survival and yet too much built up copper in the body will lead to excess catecholamines, low histamine, low thyroid hormones, high estrogen. One of problems with excess copper is tendency to gain weight as histamine is destroyed too quickly, leading to increased appetite, reduced leptin sensitivity(histamine sensitizes leptin receptors), less stomach acid(increasing potential for SIBO symptoms, poor digestion).

Other problem is the increased(excessive) catecholamines, especially noradrenaline/adrenaline which cause insulin resistance as well overall elevating stress levels because of the copper's stimulating effects. Perfect recipe for easily gaining weight, feeling like trash. Histapenia and obesity are generally related. Usually the more weight you have on you the more copper is interrupting histamine's normal function.

This book is a good read. Discusses histapenia as well as histadelia, protocols for relief as well as expected time tables for relief of symptoms. Worth looking into, it has helped me personally make sense of everything I have dealt with for so long and provides practical instruction as well.

Attachments

• The_Schizophrenias_Ours_to_Conquer-Riordan-Clinic-Books.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 36

RWilly

Copper is one of the most dangerous trace minerals for humans. Necessary for survival and yet too much built up copper in the body will lead to excess catecholamines, low histamine, low thyroid hormones, high estrogen. One of problems with excess copper is tendency to gain weight as histamine is destroyed too quickly, leading to increased appetite, reduced leptin sensitivity(histamine sensitizes leptin receptors), less stomach acid(increasing potential for SIBO symptoms, poor digestion).

Other problem is the increased(excessive) catecholamines, especially noradrenaline/adrenaline which cause insulin resistance as well overall elevating stress levels because of the copper's stimulating effects. Perfect recipe for easily gaining weight, feeling like trash. Histapenia and obesity are generally related. Usually the more weight you have on you the more copper is interrupting histamine's normal function.

This book is a good read. Discusses histapenia as well as histadelia, protocols for relief as well as expected time tables for relief of symptoms. Worth looking into, it has helped me personally make sense of everything I have dealt with for so long and provides practical instruction as well.

Actually, serum copper is an acute phase reactant. Ceruloplasmin is what is measured in the serum, which is a copper carrying protein. When we read studies on copper, one should look at serum copper differently than hepatic copper or dietary copper. The body uses copper to help get rid of inflammation, such as a bacterial infection, which is why serum copper is high and related to health issues. However, like cholesterol, you can't blame the fireman for the fire.

Excess copper is easily excreted via urine, feces and sweat. Certain genetic conditions such as Wilson's disease cause copper overload, but that is rare. Taking too much zinc or iron puts copper out of balance and adds to inflammation. I'm sure most of us do not get enough dietary copper.

And vitamin A by the way, has an inverse relationship with copper.

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

@Cirion

Have you tried T3 therapy to raise body temperature?

Denis Wilson has been able to raise the temperature of many of his hypometabolic patients by giving them T3 (without any T4).

Here I leave you the link to some of his videos:
T3 Therapy to Reset Low Body Temperature in Hypothyroidism – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Tried T3 briefly. Wasn't hugely impressed. It felt like caffeine; somewhat helpful in the moment but then the effects would fade quickly. Didn't feel like it actually was curing any problems.

Haven't gotten around to adding in copper yet. Haven't forgotten, just lazy the last few days.

But, I do bring you a shiny new set of plots:

Intake in %

upload_2019-7-16_13-32-6.png

Intake in grams

upload_2019-7-16_14-59-55.png

I have been long suspecting Veganism has been beneficial for me, and it's hard to deny after seeing these plots. I did it straight for a week and this is what I came up with. I finally (almost) achieved 100% in a full 7-day (week) span which makes it much harder to ignore any trends I come up with.

For a reminder , metabolic marker = Function of waking temp and waking pulse (100% = 98.6F temp and 85 pulse every day)
Metabolic wt. marker being the same as MM except also accounting for weight loss or gain (70% if gain, 100% if loss, that's why there's a weird split in the data, it's more of a discrete parameter)

Low protein, and Ultra low (almost zero) fat. Now I have been playing with yogurt the past couple of days since milk doesn't work well, and I dunno that this is helpful either. My waking temp dropped like a rock (a degree down to 97.6F) this morning. I did lose wt. but I attribute that to the de-stressing effect I've been finding that epsomsalt+bakingsoda baths do for me lately. No matter which protein I try, it seems potatoes are the only protein, alongside gelatin, that seem to work for me.

Last edited:

RWilly

Tried T3 briefly. Wasn't hugely impressed. It felt like caffeine; somewhat helpful in the moment but then the effects would fade quickly. Didn't feel like it actually was curing any problems.

Haven't gotten around to adding in copper yet. Haven't forgotten, just lazy the last few days.

But, I do bring you a shiny new set of plots:

View attachment 14011

I have been long suspecting Veganism has been beneficial for me, and it's hard to deny after seeing these plots. I did it straight for a week and this is what I came up with. I finally (almost) achieved 100% in a full 7-day (week) span which makes it much harder to ignore any trends I come up with.

For a reminder , metabolic marker = Function of waking temp and waking pulse (100% = 98.6F temp and 85 pulse every day)
Metabolic wt. marker being the same as MM except also accounting for weight loss or gain (70% if gain, 100% if loss, that's why there's a weird split in the data, it's more of a discrete parameter)

Low protein, and Ultra low (almost zero) fat. Now I have been playing with yogurt the past couple of days since milk doesn't work well, and I dunno that this is helpful either. My waking temp dropped like a rock (a degree down to 97.6F) this morning. I did lose wt. but I attribute that to the de-stressing effect I've been finding that epsomsalt+bakingsoda baths do for me lately. No matter which protein I try, it seems potatoes are the only protein, alongside gelatin, that seem to work for me.

RWilly

Nice to see your updates.

You said
No matter which protein I try, it seems potatoes are the only protein, alongside gelatin, that seem to work for me.

That's assuming that the protein is working for you (which it is), but there are other powerful nutrients in potatoes like potassium, copper and vitamin C that may be one of the main reasons the potato is working for you.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Nice to see your updates.

You said

That's assuming that the protein is working for you (which it is), but there are other powerful nutrients in potatoes like potassium, copper and vitamin C that may be one of the main reasons the potato is working for you.

Yes that is true. I also learned recently from Haidut (and reading older RP transcripts from KMUD) that potato protein is even better than egg protein (RP's words, direct quote) and from Haidut that ammonia is NOT produced from potatoes thus potato is a very "Clean" burning fuel with very little negative after-burn effects like most other proteins. It seems that 8 oz of potato is worth 8 gram of protein due to the keto-acids. Which means, strictly speaking, my ACTUAL protein intake is likely closer to 90-100 gram on the days it says its 75g. Cronometer doesn't count keto-acids though.

RWilly

Yes that is true. I also learned recently from Haidut (and reading older RP transcripts from KMUD) that potato protein is even better than egg protein (RP's words, direct quote) and from Haidut that ammonia is NOT produced from potatoes thus potato is a very "Clean" burning fuel with very little negative after-burn effects like most other proteins. It seems that 8 oz of potato is worth 8 gram of protein due to the keto-acids. Which means, strictly speaking, my ACTUAL protein intake is likely closer to 90-100 gram on the days it says its 75g. Cronometer doesn't count keto-acids though.

That is interesting. I have a good avatar then. :)

RWilly

You and I are on very similar paths, but I'm taking it more from the bacteria and iron perspective. I'm finding that potatoes are beneficial for me too. I go back and forth on whether to do the butter. I don't like the saturated fat, but I want the butyrate. I'm finding that red meat is problematic too, but I've had mixed experiences with chicken. I think it may depend on what else is in the meal.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Are you experiencing any hair loss with the low protein?

Hair loss has never been a problem for me. I was sometimes getting some slight muscle pains on low protein, but haven't had too much issue with that the past few days, possibly because of the epsomsalt baths. If anything my hair seems healthier. I realized my beard had gotten incredibly long (several inches) in just a couple weeks. It got out of control quickly, had to trim it this past weekend as I was starting to look like a caveman lol

OP
Cirion

Cirion

OP
Cirion

Cirion

You and I are on very similar paths, but I'm taking it more from the bacteria and iron perspective. I'm finding that potatoes are beneficial for me too. I go back and forth on whether to do the butter. I don't like the saturated fat, but I want the butyrate. I'm finding that red meat is problematic too, but I've had mixed experiences with chicken. I think it may depend on what else is in the meal.

Yeah I have tried so many different fats and finally just quit them all. I think the only thing I haven't attempted yet is moderate fat and the low protein, but not sure if I am that interested to try it at this point in time. If you do want to try butter again, Ghee is apparently an alkaline fat (Butter is acid forming). I've never tried ghee before. I do also have some cocao butter wafers I could experiment with if I ever wanted to bring fats back. Cocoa butter seems pretty safe as far as fats go.

Chicken is extremely high in tryptophan so not surprised. I also tried it a couple weeks ago and reacted horribly to it, even worse than beef. That continues to be the reason I'm not the biggest fan of dairy protein too.

upload_2019-7-16_15-28-3.png

P*F = Total protein intake (in grams) multiplied by the fernstrom ratio. To me, it's clear that increasing protein and increasing fernstrom ratio(aka, tryptophan)directly lowers my metabolic rate.

My experience with Epsom salt baths make me think the key is really going back to basics - Reduce stress and everything will fix itself. Get rid of absolutely every stressor imaginable. I've even stopped taking walks. I am as sedentary as I possibly can be. I do plenty of walking across my huge company parking lot anyway. That alone easily results in 20 minutes of walking a day without extra work. The only way I can improve my life further in terms of stress reducing is to move to a beach house & retire. And I am actively working to make that happen too.

Last edited:

RWilly

Yeah I have tried so many different fats and finally just quit them all. I think the only thing I haven't attempted yet is moderate fat and the low protein, but not sure if I that interested to try it at this point in time. If you do want to try butter again, Ghee is apparently an alkaline fat (Butter is acid forming). I've never tried ghee before. I do also have some cocao butter wafers I could experiment with if I ever wanted to bring fats back. Cocoa butter seems pretty safe as far as fats go.

I haven't had much of an issue with cocoa butter either. I think it's because of the copper and polyphenols in there.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

upload_2019-7-16_15-38-24.png

Seems like I can't inch above 90% without a carb/protein ratio of > 10. This is a much higher ratio than you ever see being quoted around here. I would wager most people never experiment with #'s these high. But I'd never have gotten to 100% without like a ratio of 14.

Dobbler

You should really try some T3 or T3/T4 for good 6 months. You said you briefly tried it, in my experience, even with pure T3 the positive effects start to take place well after 1-3 months. Expecting to heal your body and stress systems after T3 kicking in after 30 minutes is bogus. It takes months to stress hormones to come down and THEN the healing may start.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

You should really try some T3 or T3/T4 for good 6 months. You said you briefly tried it, in my experience, even with pure T3 the positive effects start to take place well after 1-3 months. Expecting to heal your body and stress systems after T3 kicking in after 30 minutes is bogus. It takes months to stress hormones to come down and THEN the healing may start.

It shouldn't take months to see any benefit. I agree that it may take months to get the full benefit, sure. But by ditching animal meat, I see benefits within 1-2 days, as example of something I see effects of quickly in days and not months. Yeah I didn't get "Healed" or "Cured" or anything like that but I absolutely see tangible effects soon like increased temps, more energy, etc. A week or two should be long enough to see benefits of some sort ( a little better energy, a little better sleep, some weight loss, improved temps/pulses, etc). That said, maybe I'll try T3 again sometime, I dunno tho. I'm not convinced thyroid is needed especially when at a young age. If you're still young, the thyroid is 100% capable of providing the T3 you need. If it's not, there's always a reason and just taking thyroid feels wrong to me, a cheat, and bypassing why your T3 is low in the first place (lack of nutrients, lack of calories, lack of sleep, lack of sunlight whatever, all of which taking T3 is not going to fix) plus I remain un-interested in using such an approach long-term, don't wanna get stuck relying on it as a crutch. For example--I suspect I'm low in magnesium. Hence the huge benefit of Epsom salt baths. Just taking T3 might possibly help me retain magnesium I do have better, but it doesn't fix the underlying deficiency magically. Then again it might even make me use up magnesium even quicker, making the deficiency even worse. I get why people use it, but if I can fix my thyroid without it, then I know I've truly fixed the root cause of my problems and not just masked it with thyroid. Both times I've been healthy in my life I never took thyroid. I don't think it's needed when nutrition and environmental stressors are on point.