Determining Effect Of Diet On Metabolism And Weight Loss/Gain Through Data Collection

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Any insights on how light exposure affects your metabolism?

Unfortunately, no not really as of yet. Admittedly I've been lazy on tracking light exposure, so my data there is rather spotty, not enough to plot anything interesting.

What I will say though is that maybe it's not as critical as diet, because often times on weekends where I am sedentary and don't even leave the house at all that I feel symptoms improve. Although I do like to use at least one 300W bulb near me while using my computer or watching TV.

I believe I am also close to cracking the code on 98.6F temps, but I'm trying not to count my chickens before they're hatched as this has been the hardest part of the two pieces to solve. But I think one of the big factors here is % macros. Increasing calories almost regardless of macros seems to raise pulses, but then you have to get more nitty-gritty with macros, and other things like starch/pufa avoidance to nail the temps, so getting the temps right seems to be a lot more difficult, but definitely doable.

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Also here is my 28 day plot

upload_2019-7-1_14-29-28.png

Ron J

@Cirion
Are you waiting to achieve certain weight loss before posting your results? I'm curious what your current weight is, at least before the binge you recently mentioned.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

@Cirion
Are you waiting to achieve certain weight loss before posting your results? I'm curious what your current weight is, at least before the binge you recently mentioned.

I haven't yet been able to really lose any weight in a sustained manner, nor have I achieved stable 98.6F temperatures. As a result, I'm holding off on posting anything relating to either until I find something conclusive, like I did with the pulses. Also, I remain personally 100% convinced that once temps are stabilized at 98.6F in mornings, that the weight loss will also be automatic, so I'm not surprised that my wt. loss hasn't been consistent yet because neither has my temperatures. I had some days with really high intakes (7000-8000 calories) that my temps dropped like a rock to like 97.7F. So, excessive calories (especially of the wrong foods) are definitely not helpful.

Lol the really high calorie experiment last week was fun but yeah ultimately wasn't helpful, but it did get me some valuable data points at the really extreme end of caloric intake so there is that. I gained like 6-7 lbs pretty quickly last week but already have lost 3-4 lb of them back down again after resuming more reasonable intakes. Getting these data points made this experiment worth it to me.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

My strategy to nail down 98.6F temp 100% of the time is as follows:

- Achieve a 3 day avg. Temp of 98.6 (Have not even done this yet. Shows how difficult it is to do consistently, though I've had many one off days I got 98.6) I have LOTS of data now though, so it's just a matter of really wracking my brain to figure this thing out. Because of how difficult even 3 days a row of 98.6 is,, I am thinking of adding a step before this of even getting 2 day avg 98.6F first.
- Using the information from 3 day avg plots, work on getting 7 day avg 98.6F
- Using information from 7 day plots, work on getting 14 day avg 98.6
- Finally, using information from 14 day plots, work on getting 28 day average 98.6F
- ... profit

One experiment I haven't really properly done yet is moderate protein, virtually zero fat, and very high carb. I am thinking of buying and trying out some 98% lean grass fed beef this week to do just this. I accidentally did this one or two times in my data by getting over 100 gram protein even while on vegan (so almost zero fat also) and it seems like, from what I can see, this may be the only way for me to actually achieve 98.6F temps on a consistent basis so I want to experiment with it again. Need more data points here to really see...

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

upload_2019-7-1_16-27-38.png

This is all I have to work with so far. Basically everything riding on two data points lol. Low protein, ultra low fat. But, the ultra low fat days were also low protein. I think it is more likely that the low fat was driving the increased temps than the low protein. I ended up ditching that diet because I started getting muscle pains. But maybe with 98% lean beef I can get protein, and keep fats low, and keep the 98.6F temps? I don't feel right when I restrict both fats and protein, but I think I could survive on virtually zero fat if I had protein.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I found 98% lean beef. A huge ordeal to find it that lean lol. 2 gram of fat per 4 oz....

about

I wasn't able to find it at my health food store so I gotta order it. I decided to buy some organic chicken, just for now until I can get that beef, yes yes I know, a heresy in Peat land, but at least I can get rid of almost all fat that way and still eat some meat.

I will potentially experiment with milk again, but I just don't think milk will ever work for me due to crap like added vitamin A, still, I'll give it a fair shot one more time, since the last time I had milk it was in the context of fats as well, and I don't believe that I've tried it without any fat yet.

Last edited:

Bushido1

Wow! I just went through this whole thread and found it extremely inspiring.

I am going to start a very similar experiment with my own macros, lab tests, temp and pulse from tomorrow onwards.

I hope this is not too much to ask but would it be possible for you to share the spreadsheets and how to use them? I am a novice with excel and I am unsure on how to track things like you are doing.

Great work.

I found 98% lean beef. A huge ordeal to find it that lean lol. 2 gram of fat per 4 oz....

about

I wasn't able to find it at my health food store so I gotta order it. I decided to buy some organic chicken, just for now until I can get that beef, yes yes I know, a heresy in Peat land, but at least I can get rid of almost all fat that way and still eat some meat.

I will potentially experiment with milk again, but I just don't think milk will ever work for me due to crap like added vitamin A, still, I'll give it a fair shot one more time, since the last time I had milk it was in the context of fats as well, and I don't believe that I've tried it without any fat yet.

Could be messy but you probably can remove added vitamins from milk. Shake some coconut oil in, shake it well I mean, cool it down and remove oily layer. Should do the trick.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

So I think one of the missing links is definitely a strong function of Protein, Fats, and Vitamin A for increased body temps (waking). There's a big thread about the possibility that Vitamin A is a poison and not a nutrient, and you can read that thread for more info (it's in the anti peat sub forum).

So first I looked at this plot
upload_2019-7-3_11-32-21.png

Interesting, but just correlation because lots of pts at low VA were also trash temps... Until I did this...

upload_2019-7-3_11-33-0.png

Oh snap. Now there's something to this. Logic would dictate that Vitamin A * Fat is a better proxy for actual liver toxicity because the fat in your diet determines actual liver absorption/load. However I had to acknowledge that I did somewhat of trends for both Protein,Fat also (Which had led me to try veganism briefly awhile back).

upload_2019-7-3_11-35-15.png

This led me to do a little more digging and I played with some ratios, specifically Protein/Fat ratio.

upload_2019-7-3_11-28-19.png

Now filtering this plot for only days high carbs (800+ gram)

upload_2019-7-3_11-30-51.png

Interesting...

So perhaps, my next experiment should be Ultra low Fat, Ultra low Vitamin A, enough protein to drive protein/fat ratio to 10+, and very high carb like usual.

It seems like Carbs should be >>> (much greater than) Protein, and Protein should be >>> Fats.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-3_11-29-51.png
    upload_2019-7-3_11-29-51.png
    4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Ingenol

Wow! I just went through this whole thread and found it extremely inspiring.

I am going to start a very similar experiment with my own macros, lab tests, temp and pulse from tomorrow onwards.

I hope this is not too much to ask but would it be possible for you to share the spreadsheets and how to use them? I am a novice with excel and I am unsure on how to track things like you are doing.

Great work.
I'd also be interested to see your spreadsheet (just the columns/headers/setup, no data necessary) if you're up for it.

milkboi

Also here is my 28 day plot

View attachment 13828

Nice one :)
So I think one of the missing links is definitely a strong function of Protein, Fats, and Vitamin A for increased body temps (waking). There's a big thread about the possibility that Vitamin A is a poison and not a nutrient, and you can read that thread for more info (it's in the anti peat sub forum).

So first I looked at this plot
View attachment 13858

Interesting, but just correlation because lots of pts at low VA were also trash temps... Until I did this...

View attachment 13859

Oh snap. Now there's something to this. Logic would dictate that Vitamin A * Fat is a better proxy for actual liver toxicity because the fat in your diet determines actual liver absorption/load. However I had to acknowledge that I did somewhat of trends for both Protein,Fat also (Which had led me to try veganism briefly awhile back).

View attachment 13860

This led me to do a little more digging and I played with some ratios, specifically Protein/Fat ratio.

View attachment 13855

Now filtering this plot for only days high carbs (800+ gram)

View attachment 13857

Interesting...

So perhaps, my next experiment should be Ultra low Fat, Ultra low Vitamin A, enough protein to drive protein/fat ratio to 10+, and very high carb like usual.

It seems like Carbs should be >>> (much greater than) Protein, and Protein should be >>> Fats.

Great finding. Although I don‘t know if it implies that Vitamin A is a toxin. Like you said over in the Anti-Peat thread it‘s probably just a sign of an overloaded liver...

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I'd also be interested to see your spreadsheet (just the columns/headers/setup, no data necessary) if you're up for it.

Yeah, sure. Send me a PM w/ your email address. I'd probably just give you the whole spreadsheet w/ data because I'd be too lazy to change anything. That'd give you calculations and stuff anyway.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Nice one :)

Great finding. Although I don‘t know if it implies that Vitamin A is a toxin. Like you said over in the Anti-Peat thread it‘s probably just a sign of an overloaded liver...

Yeah maybe maybe not. Something to note though, that when I was the healthiest in my life a couple of years ago, I realize now I accidentally was also virtually zero vitamin A, and also virtually zero dietary fat. The zero fat was on purpose, but the zero vitamin A was accidental, as whey and maltodextrin shakes are almost zero VA as well as almost zero fat. This would also have driven up my protein/fat ratios a lot. The bulk of calories I had back then was from these whey/maltodextrin shakes. Not the ideal nutrition, but perhaps its just more proof that nutrition is more of what you avoid, and overall macros, than it is micronutrients.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

OK, still working on body temp. Over the 4 day July 4 weekend I relaxed a lot, and got some OK temps but still not what I want. I did get three days in a row of 98.4F temps though. And this morning had horrible (97.7) temp, which seems to happen a lot on Mondays though.

Anyway, obviously still missing some key parameters, but over the weekend I realized I'm probably acidic in my body and going to really work hard to limit/eliminate all forms of acidity between proteins (animal meats), salt (replace w/ baking soda) and phosphoric acid (eliminate sodas).

I made a few more plots though and made an interesting discovery. It seems that for me I actually need a healthy amount of starch to get the elusive 98.6F temps.

upload_2019-7-8_12-22-30.png

These plots were definitely NOT what I was expecting to see! But that's why looking at data is paramount. You make discoveries you weren't expecting to see and this leads to insights.

I also plotted up gelatin, and it seems I need 18-36 gram of it a day also:

upload_2019-7-8_12-23-36.png

Finally, it seems I've finally officially found the cutoff point for benefits for carbs, and it's roughly 1,000. Any more seems not helpful and may even drop temps. In addition, the cutoff for benefits from sugar seems to be around 500-600 grams, any other carbs should come from starch. Anecdotally, it does make sense, thinking about it in more detail. A super high sugar day tends to make me feel spacey and empty in the stomach. Historically, I had put the blame on starch for many problems. But now, I realize, it's probably because of the SALT that I tend to bathe starch in, which causes acidity in the body.

upload_2019-7-8_12-25-23.png

Last edited:
Salt amount vs Waking temp please.
Acetic acid ends up being turned in bicarbonate, Im suggestimg trying acetic acid(vinegar with starch) before going all salt free.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Salt amount vs Waking temp please.
Acetic acid ends up being turned in bicarbonate, Im suggestimg trying acetic acid(vinegar with starch) before going all salt free.

I remember sodium acetate from reading Nathan Hatch's book. Haven't done that in a while.

I really wish I could do a salt vs. Temp plot, but unfortunately I can't. I haven't been measuring the salt I put on meat, rice, or potatoes, so for now it's speculation/best guess based upon what I've read about what causes acidity in the body.

I just found out talking to Haidut that potatoes do not generate ammonia. FWIW, the best day I have had in a long time was the result of 2-3 lbs of potatoes on a regular basis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals