Determining Effect Of Diet On Metabolism And Weight Loss/Gain Through Data Collection

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Well would ya look at this.

upload_2019-6-20_12-49-0.png

I have started upping the ante and looking at 28 day averages now. Look at that. Incredible fit. Carbs directly raise temperature. Protein and fats had a lot more scatter so nothing too cool to look at there, but this carbs plot is very interesting...

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Well hot dayum...

upload_2019-6-20_12-58-8.png

Literally this is my best fit yet AND it proves a VERY interesting point. More calories, better metabolism. I've been saying this for months now, and now I am finally starting to feel vindicated.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Was this ever in contention though? I thought the point was lots of calories = weight loss

My main goal is metabolism increase. Weight loss is also a goal, but its secondary, because I know that metabolism = weight loss. That said, the more I increase calories, the more weight seems to be lost indeed. The R squared of that plot isn't yet what I'd call a "Done Deal" like these (R squared of 0.8 or higher) but the trends seem to point that way. I will show a plot or two later in a bit.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

You may be interested in this blog post: Are carbs stored as fat?

from that:

The participants could barely do it. They were cramming bagels down their throats while the researchers were begging them to persever

So they used starch, which I have already proven to myself is not the ideal carb to eat in large amounts and reduces metabolism and increases body fat. Would be interested if someone did it with sugar mostly.

Also a lot of these studies are misleading because of course if you overnight go from a 3k cal diet to 5k cal diet you will gain weight! I have been eating close to 5k for months so I've adapted to it.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Here's the deal with increased calories, carbs etc with weight loss.

The reason why there is so much scatter and why these can cause weight gain in some and others weight loss is actually simple.

When you're still hypothyroid/broken, the metabolism isn't running optimally, you're outputting lots of lactic acid, PUFA, FFA's, have suboptimal glucose/CO2 levels, lots of problematic aminos in the bloodstream, and more. In this context, just about anything can and often will cause weight gain.

It isn't until the metabolism is restored that the body starts to lose weight. So my hypothesis stand as such: Maintain 98.6F (or close say +/- 0.1F) waking temps, maintain 85 bpm waking pulse (or close say +/- 2/3 bpm), and THEN and only then will weight loss be consistent. You see that in my plots I haven't obtained a better average than 98.2 yet. You might say, well only 0.3-0.4F doesn't matter much. Yes, yes it does, in my personal experience. It doesn't sound like much, but ANYTHING less than 98.6 (even a 98.4 or 98.5) means you're running on at least some PUFA or FFA's. Stress fat burning must be turned off 100% completely, 100% of the time in order to achieve optimal metabolism and healthy weight loss.

It isn't until the metabolism is restored that the body starts to lose weight. So my hypothesis stand as such: Maintain 98.6F (or close say +/- 0.1F) waking temps, maintain 85 bpm waking pulse (or close say +/- 2/3 bpm), and THEN and only then will weight loss be consistent. You see that in my plots I haven't obtained a better average than 98.2 yet. You might say, well only 0.3-0.4F doesn't matter much. Yes, yes it does, in my personal experience. It doesn't sound like much, but ANYTHING less than 98.6 (even a 98.4 or 98.5) means you're running on at least some PUFA or FFA's. Stress fat burning must be turned off 100% completely, 100% of the time in order to achieve optimal metabolism and healthy weight loss.

This sounds pretty legit to me. I think you're gonna do it man - once you burn through all the bad stuff and get real warm you'll be losing weight.

Last edited:

Andman

Im following too, one cant help but appreciate the heart & work youre putting into this!

Maybe ive missed it, but do you take underarm/axial or oral temps?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

upload_2019-6-21_10-55-21.png

As you can see, the data is still very rough still, but still has a noticeable downward slope.

Vinny

Maintain 98.6F (or close say +/- 0.1F) waking temps, maintain 85 bpm waking pulse (or close say +/- 2/3 bpm), and THEN and only then will weight loss be consistent.
My lord,
We achieve those temps and pulse by eating mostly lots of carbs?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

My lord,
We achieve those temps and pulse by eating mostly lots of carbs?

So admittedly the last few days I have been playing with extremely high (upwards of 1,100-1,200) gram of carbs. While it hasn't seemingly hurt my weight loss (had almost 1,200 gram yesterday of carb) and still lost a tad bit today (0.2 lb) it seems my waking temps are starting to suffer. Carbs are mostly definitely required, but it seems in terms of waking temps, too much could potentially be detrimental in the long run.

I still am working out many of the kinks. I won't consider this whole equation solved until my 28 day avgs are 98.6F and 85 bpm pulse. Proteins and fats are most certainly required too, I'm just working out just how much are needed. These two plots are a little more ambiguous compared to the carb plots I have made. Because more calories seem to make metabolism better, that's why I am also looking at ratios like Carb/protein, Protein/Fat, Carb/Fat etc (%carb%protein%fat) to see if maybe increasing the carbs beyond a certain level wasn't helpful because I didn't raise protein and fats alongside carb.

Lots to figure out still...

Vinny

Lots to figure out still...
Well, I hoped to be short and simple..... for a while :)
Anyway, very appreciating your efforts, bro! They contribute tremendously!

Rock_V

@Cirion have you considered that dried fruit may be a issue? I personally don’t tolerate raisins, dates, figs, prunes etc myself. Dates in particular just make me depressed. I haven’t eaten any dried fruit for a long time as I was paranoid about their susceptibility to fungus and obviously many mould species are very harmful to the metabolism. Though everything is potentially prone to fungal infection depending on how a product is produced and stored.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

@Cirion have you considered that dried fruit may be a issue? I personally don’t tolerate raisins, dates, figs, prunes etc myself. Dates in particular just make me depressed. I haven’t eaten any dried fruit for a long time as I was paranoid about their susceptibility to fungus and obviously many mould species are very harmful to the metabolism. Though everything is potentially prone to fungal infection depending on how a product is produced and stored.

Very possible. Raisins tend to give me teeth pain. But, at least they don't bloat me.

I just recently found a new gem I want to experiment with - Juice concentrate. LOTS of carbs in dense format, lets you get juice without the excess liquid problem of actually buying OJ for example. EX - there's like 900 calories in 10-12 oz of straight grape juice concentrate. I must warn you though - the taste is rather intense and you may feel a little high from the huge shot of sugar LOL

To be honest, I'm starting to not like fruit all that much. Simply because the density of calories isn't to my liking. I get bored trying to munch on 2 lbs of grapes only to get a few hundred calories lol.

inurendotoxin

@Cirion I mainly just wanna say how awesome and insightful this whole thread is. You're attacking the problem from every angle. I am following closely and rooting for your success!

So, theoretically this actually makes sense. It's essentially just fasting - in reverse, no? Instead of slowing everything down to match caloric deficit, you routinely cram your system with energy so it has to ramp up the furnace to keep up. Would you agree with that over-simplification?

Also I'm curious - have you noticed a correlation in stuff like cognitive function, focus, mood, energy levels in correlation with the higher temps and pulse? RP has referred to a 'Relaxed alertness' (which I personally experienced frequently in my youth, and can sometimes recreate by drinking coffee). Is this just the effect of improved metabolism?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

@Cirion I mainly just wanna say how awesome and insightful this whole thread is. You're attacking the problem from every angle. I am following closely and rooting for your success!

So, theoretically this actually makes sense. It's essentially just fasting - in reverse, no? Instead of slowing everything down to match caloric deficit, you routinely cram your system with energy so it has to ramp up the furnace to keep up. Would you agree with that over-simplification?

Also I'm curious - have you noticed a correlation in stuff like cognitive function, focus, mood, energy levels in correlation with the higher temps and pulse? RP has referred to a 'Relaxed alertness' (which I personally experienced frequently in my youth, and can sometimes recreate by drinking coffee). Is this just the effect of improved metabolism?

Thanks man. Yeah that's kind of the way to look at it, yes. There are two ways to lose weight, essentially.

1.) Stress pathway. This requires cutting of calories drastically which also lowers metabolism and increases stress hormones.
2.) Anabolic pathway. This requires increasing of calories (generally) which increases metabolism and increases anabolic hormones, thyroid hormones etc and ultimately drives weight loss when done correctly.

I used the stress pathway for weight management all of my life up until now. I'm done doing that, and now I'm figuring out how to do it via the anabolic pathway - it's definitely a lot more challenging to do it this way, and most people end up just falling back to method #1 instead as a result.

Yes, it is in fact the fact that I feel better on higher temp and pulses that made me realize that ultimately this is the way to go about things. I found a few months ago too that there's a massive difference between say a waking temp of 98.6 and 98.2. You wouldn't think 0.4F would mean much, but believe me, it really does. The thing is, by the time your temp drops below 98.6F, the stress pathway has already activated (even at 98.4 or 98.5), and stays elevated for the whole day by a certain degree depending upon your waking temp and pulse was that day (This is my own experience at least) and subjectively verified by my mood, motivation, energy, libido for that day. This is also known by average folk as "waking up on the wrong side of the bed". A very true expression, but most people don't understand what drives it, but now I do. It's something you have to experience to really understand and appreciate. Ultimately a metabolism that is generated lots of CO2, effective use of energy (little to no lactic acid), etc is gonna do all that for you. Yeah caffeine can be helpful and I've tried to make it work, but it's a mixed bag in my experience. Caffeine is troublesome to make work well because while it increases metabolism, it also increases nutrient requirements. Caffeine does seem to also improve digestion. But, every time I try high dose caffeine it doesn't end well for me, just makes me hyper / adrenaline fueled and crushes my waking temps the next day (not to mention insomnia lol). Caffeine also releases toxins from the liver, so maybe if you couple it with some activated charcoal or something it might help purge them. I find that when the effects of caffeine wear off I feel bad, and I suspect that's why - the toxins released didn't get purged and started floating around the bloodstream. This effect is far more pronounced with high dose caffeine.

There have been two times in my life where I was very healthy. Back then I didn't track temps, unfortunately. But both times, whenever I would wake up, I would wake up 100% refreshed and with a "calm" but strong energy in the morning and not "need" coffee or any stimulant to get going for the day, I'd wake up feeling great, motivated, overall just good.

That's how you're supposed to feel in the morning. Sadly, I am willing to bet that 95% of Americans have no idea what good sleep is lol. I'm not yet back to that, but I'm determined to do so.

Last edited:

mrdannyg3

Cirion, do you have a good professional blender? Like most on here, I too eat lots of fruit during the day and kinda get bored of it at times lol. Almost like it's a chore. Anyways, I make smoothies left and right now, really packs a lot of nutrition from fruit that would have taken a lot longer to eat had I not had a Vitamix blender.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Cirion, do you have a good professional blender? Like most on here, I too eat lots of fruit during the day and kinda get bored of it at times lol. Almost like it's a chore. Anyways, I make smoothies left and right now, really packs a lot of nutrition from fruit that would have taken a lot longer to eat had I not had a Vitamix blender.

I have a decent ninja blender. Haven't used it in a while, but probably will use it again when I get un-lazy haha.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I believe I have now solved around one-half of the metabolism equation. It's not necessarily a major epiphany, for me at least, but it's great to finally put it down on paper as officially solved.

upload_2019-7-1_13-20-53.png

Calories are the primary driver for driving waking pulse to the 85+ number that Ray recommends.

Now, I just have to get the other half of the puzzle - How to get 98.6F temp every day.

It seems that for me, roughly 5000 calories is the minimum for 85 BPM pulse.

The 7 day averaged plot shows that maybe I need slightly more than 5000 calories, roughly 5250 or as high as 5,500 even.

upload_2019-7-1_13-36-36.png

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals