Despite Striking Increase In Dieting And Exercise, Obesity Is Skyrocketing

haidut

Forum Supporter
Maybe it takes a study like the one below to finally wake the public health authorities from their century-long slumber. I doubt there is a person alive today living in the Western world who has not been raised by the mantra "eat less and move more" as the single proven way to lose weight. Interestingly, weight loss through dieting and exercise has not been proven to lead to better health outcomes, except possibly for people with diabetes II and only for the first 5 years after losing the excess weight. There is no data on the benefits of weight loss (as a result of diet/exercise) even for these patients beyond the 5-year mark. Now, a new study has demonstrated that even when it comes to weight loss, dieting and exercise did not lead to weight loss for the majority of people despite massive increase in rates for these two interventions. What's worse, over the almost two-decade period covered by the study the population dutifully increased its vegetable and fruit consumption AND reduced sugar intake! Yet, obesity kept rising with tremendous speed. Considering the average daily caloric intake has not really risen for most people in Western countries, the verdict from this study is quite damning - further drop in calories even when accompanied by more exercise and less calorie-dense foods could not offset the increases seen in obesity rates. The only explanation in the face of such damning findings is that one or more environmental factors are at play here. Since the rates for most chronic diseases are also rising, especially among the youngest members of society who have not yet become obese, the evidence points to a common cause(s) for both obesity and chronic disease. In fact, it becomes more and more plausible that obesity is more of an "innocent bystander" than the actual cause of all the illness that plagues civilization as health "experts" would have you believe. I'll give public health authorities a hint - ubiquity of PUFA, stress, endocrine disruptors, sunlight avoidance, and EMF "pollution" can probably explain 99% of any modern society's ills. But don't hold your breath for any upcoming change in public health policies. To the contrary, lately there has been a strong push (funded by Big Pharma) to declare the damning findings about estrogen (coming from the WHI studies) invalid and as such (re)introduce estrogen therapy women and even men.

Trends in Self-perceived Weight Status, Weight Loss Attempts, and Weight Loss Strategies
Study finds Americans can't lose weight, even though they try

"...More and more Americans are trying to lose weight, but few are finding success, a new study has found. According to figures published Wednesday in the journal JAMA: Diabetes and Endocrinology, the percentage of U.S. adults 20 and older that have attempted a weight-loss regimen has increased from 34.3 percent in 1999 to 42.2 percent in 2016. However, over the same period, researchers found increases in weight and weight gain -- an indication that their efforts may be in vain. "Obesity has been increasing in the US, while many people have made efforts to lose weight," study co-author Lu Qi, director of the Tulane University Obesity Research Center, told UPI. He and his colleagues felt "a study linking the trends in weight loss attempts and weight change may help figure out whether the previous strategies were effective or not," he added."

"...The most commonly reported weight loss strategies among study participants were reduced food consumption, which increased from 21.2 percent to 31.9 percent over the study period; exercise, from 18.2 percent to 31.5 percent; and frequent water intake, from 0.2 percent to 26.3 percent. From 2005-2006 to 2015-2016, the authors also noted increases in participants reporting increased consumption of more fruits, vegetables, and salads, from 0.1 percent to 29.4 percent; changed eating habits, from 0.3 percent to 20.5 percent; and reduced consumption of sugar, candy and sweets, from 0.2 percent to 20.9 percent."

tara

Possibly also a significant increase in sedentarism.

Gone Peating

“From 2005-2006 to 2015-2016, the authors also noted increases in participants reporting increased consumption of more fruits, vegetables, and salads, from 0.1 percent to 29.4 percent; changed eating habits, from 0.3 percent to 20.5 percent; and reduced consumption of sugar, candy and sweets, from 0.2 percent to 20.9 percent.

"Poor long-term adherence to weight-loss attempts is likely to be a major reason" these strategies were unsuccessful, Qi noted. He added that the findings of the research suggest that healthcare providers need to "increase the promotion of effective strategies for reducing calorie intake."

Doctors/scientists are frustrating. That is literally the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.

Never do you see the vast majority of them taking a step back and saying wow maybe we are wrong about this. They invent preconceived notions or take the preconceived notions they were tested on and received “A’s” for agreeing with and desperately search for any evidence they can to justify their beliefs, while rejecting every piece of evidence that should cause them to question their beliefs.

We really should stop calling scientists scientists and just start calling them dogmatists

Rick K

“From 2005-2006 to 2015-2016, the authors also noted increases in participants reporting increased consumption of more fruits, vegetables, and salads, from 0.1 percent to 29.4 percent; changed eating habits, from 0.3 percent to 20.5 percent; and reduced consumption of sugar, candy and sweets, from 0.2 percent to 20.9 percent.

"Poor long-term adherence to weight-loss attempts is likely to be a major reason" these strategies were unsuccessful, Qi noted. He added that the findings of the research suggest that healthcare providers need to "increase the promotion of effective strategies for reducing calorie intake."

Doctors/scientists are frustrating. That is literally the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.

Never do you see the vast majority of them taking a step back and saying wow maybe we are wrong about this. They invent preconceived notions or take the preconceived notions they were tested on and received “A’s” for agreeing with and desperately search for any evidence they can to justify their beliefs, while rejecting every piece of evidence that should cause them to question their beliefs.

We really should stop calling scientists scientists and just start calling them dogmatists
Sorry for the correction here: the correct definition of insanity is the inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality. What you espouse is simply stubbornness.

Gone Peating

Sorry for the correction here: the correct definition of insanity is the inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality. What you espouse is simply stubbornness.

It’s a common phrase man I don’t know what else to tell you

lampofred

It's not their fault, it's the food they're eating... I think doing the same thing over and over is closely related to the "sticky" quality of PUFA.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Dino D

All the keto or carnivore folks are losing weight big time

Only we, the raypeat heroes are dieting and gaining.

Others are just eating whatever and only thinking and then just talking about diet, dieting for one day, than binging and claiming bullshxx about dieting and getting fat

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

All the keto or carnivore folks are losing weight big time

No, they're not. Just look at Jimmy Moore, who has been keto for about 7 years or so, and has easily put on over 100+ pounds in that time. He has been practicing and recommending keto longer than anyone else, and is one of the reasons the keto movement became so popular. Based on his results, I have no idea why people fell for the keto scam in the first place.

I know two people at work who tried "going keto." One lost no weight at all, and was very frustrated. The other did lose a noticeable amount of weight for a few months (I'd estimate 40-50 pounds), but it's seems like it's starting to come back. Keto seems more insane to me that just "low carb," as the keto diet wants you to restrict protein in addition to carbs. Always seemed like a bad idea.

Dino D

No, they're not. Just look at Jimmy Moore, who has been keto for about 7 years or so, and has easily put on over 100+ pounds in that time. He has been practicing and recommending keto longer than anyone else, and is one of the reasons the keto movement became so popular. Based on his results, I have no idea why people fell for the keto scam in the first place.

I know two people at work who tried "going keto." One lost no weight at all, and was very frustrated. The other did lose a noticeable amount of weight for a few months (I'd estimate 40-50 pounds), but it's seems like it's starting to come back. Keto seems more insane to me that just "low carb," as the keto diet wants you to restrict protein in addition to carbs. Always seemed like a bad idea.
I dont advocate keto... go to any keto or carnivore group (ketogains, keto, carnivore keto, dr. Eric berg) on facebook and there are thousands of transformations... here we dont have them...
Yea there are a few guys who got fat, but 10000 got ripped, of course you will focus on that one fat guy, ignore all of the others and say peat is right... on the ,,peat diet" its the opossite a few got lean, and everyone else got fat...
Still i dont think keto is good
Male, over 30, 180cm 80 kg
I say, 100-180 gram of proteine (sedentary vs active)
40-80 gram of fat (need to find out if your body likes fat)
100-500 gram of carbs (sedentary vs active)
Every man, 30-60 years old, eating 150gram of protein, 60 gram of.fat and 200-300 gram of carbs will be lean...
If active you can eat more
They are not much fat people (without specific conditions) eating around 2.000-2500 calories a day for 2 or more years with consistance and discipline... there are evan less fat people eating under 2000...
Siping high carbs and high cal and sups while sitting on a chair and resting will not make you lean and healthy...
Never

The study blames overestimates of people’s exercise and activity and therefore over reporting calories consumed. That has to be it!!

Exercising was another of the most commonly reported strategies by participants who attempted to lose weight; however, a 2008 study18 reported that while 65% of adults in the United States reported that they met the recommended levels of physical activity, only 5% actually met these goals as objectively measured using accelerometry devices. Furthermore, a 2018 statement from the American Heart Association19 indicated that 8 in 10 adults in the United States did not satisfy the guidelines for aerobic and muscle-strengthening exercise. Therefore, decreased energy intake, adherence to reduced food consumption, and the quality of exercise are significant challenges to effective weight loss.

tankasnowgod

I dont advocate keto... go to any keto or carnivore group (ketogains, keto, carnivore keto, dr. Eric berg) on facebook and there are thousands of transformations... here we dont have them...
Yea there are a few guys who got fat, but 10000 got ripped, of course you will focus on that one fat guy, ignore all of the others and say peat is right... on the ,,peat diet" its the opossite a few got lean, and everyone else got fat...
Still i dont think keto is good

Your initial post said "all" of the keto and carnivore folks lose weight. So, a single counter example invalidates that claim. And Jimmy Moore is more than just a single counter example, he has been doing keto longer than anyone else, advocating it longer than anyone else, and one of it's biggest promoters. He is an easy target, and I believe is the fact that he's gained so much weight while being a "Weight Loss Guru" should be a massive red flag. Personally, I thought his long term results would keep people from experimenting with Keto. Welp, I was totally wrong on that!

I don't think self selected testimonials on facebook groups promoting a diet are necessarily the best representation of how that diet will work for everyone. I haven't asked if my co-worker who had ZERO weight loss attempting a keto diet went onto one of those groups to post her non-success story..... but I personally doubt it.

And I bet you are just making that "10000" number up out of thin air. Did you actually count the testimonials in the groups you mentioned?

I think it's a lot more than just "a few" people not achieving weight loss on keto and carnivore diets. If not, why would a Keto promoter like Dave Asprey write an article like this? 7 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight on Keto Plenty more examples out there, if you care to look beyond testimonials from those promoting the Keto diet.

By the way, there are people who have had weight loss transformations on this forum, again, you're just ignoring them.

Dino D

Your initial post said "all" of the keto and carnivore folks lose weight. So, a single counter example invalidates that claim. And Jimmy Moore is more than just a single counter example, he has been doing keto longer than anyone else, advocating it longer than anyone else, and one of it's biggest promoters. He is an easy target, and I believe is the fact that he's gained so much weight while being a "Weight Loss Guru" should be a massive red flag. Personally, I thought his long term results would keep people from experimenting with Keto. Welp, I was totally wrong on that!

I don't think self selected testimonials on facebook groups promoting a diet are necessarily the best representation of how that diet will work for everyone. I haven't asked if my co-worker who had ZERO weight loss attempting a keto diet went onto one of those groups to post her non-success story..... but I personally doubt it.

And I bet you are just making that "10000" number up out of thin air. Did you actually count the testimonials in the groups you mentioned?

I think it's a lot more than just "a few" people not achieving weight loss on keto and carnivore diets. If not, why would a Keto promoter like Dave Asprey write an article like this? 7 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight on Keto Plenty more examples out there, if you care to look beyond testimonials from those promoting the Keto diet.

By the way, there are people who have had weight loss transformations on this forum, again, you're just ignoring them.
Nothing is- all is like that-
I just want to pinpoint a general tendency/direction
I still think, mostly 50-90% will lose on keto/carnivore
70-90% will gain if they follow peat or ,,peat groups"

I think keto does not work if youre undereating nutrients and/or calories for long time, or while being to stressed
Thats why a classical bodybuiling aproach works, and it works 4 a long time...
Proteins (100-200g)and fat(40-100gram), carb cycling (100-500) to activity
Bulking and cuting once a year for 2-3months... eating maintance the rest, having cheat days, having days of extreme activity... training most of the year but making longer or shorter ,,holydays"
Then you can go keto or low carb for a month or two and get ripped...

Discipline and hard work is what everyone lacks, me being the first ;)

Searching for a magic pill that allows us to eat as much as we can, stuffing the belly while sitting will never work... if it does i will be the first one to ,,buy it"

tankasnowgod

Nothing is- all is like that-
I just want to pinpoint a general tendency/direction
I still think, mostly 50-90% will lose on keto/carnivore
70-90% will gain if they follow peat or ,,peat groups"

I think keto does not work if youre undereating nutrients and/or calories for long time, or while being to stressed
Thats why a classical bodybuiling aproach works, and it works 4 a long time...
Proteins (100-200g)and fat(40-100gram), carb cycling (100-500) to activity
Bulking and cuting once a year for 2-3months... eating maintance the rest, having cheat days, having days of extreme activity... training most of the year but making longer or shorter ,,holydays"
Then you can go keto or low carb for a month or two and get ripped...

Discipline and hard work is what everyone lacks, me being the first ;)

Searching for a magic pill that allows us to eat as much as we can, stuffing the belly while sitting will never work... if it does i will be the first one to ,,buy it"

Well, as far as "getting ripped," I don't see many people doing that on ANY type of low carb diet. I do think many people do get a quick water weight loss from low carb diets, often of 10-15 pounds, which is a well documented fact, but that is usually just the loss of glycogen. But they often aren't even getting "fit," and certinaly not getting "ripped."

Your "50-90%" range of weight loss on keto is massive, and if it's closer to 50%, that is now a very far cry from "all keto and carnivore" dieters losing weight that you originally started with. Personally, I think it might be about 50% or less even in the short term, with 75% or more of people having poor results from keto in the longer term, say 2 years or so.

As to your last point... well, eating to hunger signals tended to keep people in shape until very modern times. Even in modern times, people who ate great food without "dieting" tended to be in great shape, Julia Child being a prime example. In fact, before the 1940s, people who were very sedentary (think along the lines of writers and such) tended to be VERY thin. So thin, in fact, they were often encouraged to eat beyond appetite, and encouraged to exercise in order to stimulate hunger, and eat more as a result.

I don't think it's a "magic pill" that gets people to an appropriate weight, but things like industrial waste being re-branded as food (specifically, iron shavings used in "fortification" and the so called "vegetable" oils) that have made people gain weight, that I personally believe is some combo of fat, edema and inflammation.

NathanK

I was just listening to a podcast that had Dr. Anthony Jay on from the Mayo Clinic talking about estrogen. He was saying testosterone has tanked particularly since the 80's as well. Testosterone was first able to be measured in the 1920's and was double what it is today. In the 80's, the male average was around 500. In the 90's it was about 400 and it's presently closer to 300. That's a precipitous drop. This is one of the studies he referenced: Population-Level Decline in Serum Testosterone Levels in American Men

tara

I'm not getting the 'despite'. Why wouldn't anyone, mainstream or otherwise, expect them to increase together? Isn't increased obesity a key contributor ('cause'?) of dieting and exercise?