Desiccated Liver

jaguar43

tomisonbottom said:
Is anyone here taking desiccated liver power supplements instead of actual liver?

why not just eat liver ?

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

It's also hard to get when looking for a good clean source of beef liver. My organic grocery doesn't even carry it.

Mittir

@tomisonbottom
At the end of the Politics and science interview on Diabetes ,RP mentioned that
liver is the cleanest part of animal. Fat and muscle meat get contaminated
easily but not the liver. He said that just eating liver one can avoid most of the
contaminants .He was talking about industrial meat. At the end, he recommended
organic milk and meat. My understanding is that liver of commercial meat is
quite safe.
It is very important to make liver palatable by proper processing.
You can try chicken liver, it has milder taste. Chris Masterjohn has a nice recipe
for liver where he uses acid to neutralize the bad taste.
It is quite good. Though RP recommends against using acidic food with
iron rich meal. I do not think few drops of lemon juice will be that harmful.
I cut the liver into very small pieces and soak in milk or salt water for few hours.
Then i quickly fry in oil with salt and pepper, It does not taste bad at all.
I used to eat half an ounce with each meal. I still can not eat more than 1-2 oz at a time.

jaguar43

tomisonbottom said:
I just don't like it.

Have you tried beef liver ?

Bruv

I don't know what your reasons for wanting some form of liver are but I don't think dessicated liver contains very much if any of the fat soluble vitamins A and D that you would get in fresh liver.

jyb

Bruv said:
I don't know what your reasons for wanting some form of liver are but I don't think dessicated liver contains very much if any of the fat soluble vitamins A and D that you would get in fresh liver.

Maybe there'd be some zinc or copper. But I don't know if they can be absorbed like fresh food.

slayers

liver powder is an excellent source of protein, iron, b12, b6, zinc....
I too hate liver but usually taking 3-4tablespoons of liver a few times a week, it works very well

marcar72

Try eating some liver raw! Freeze it for a couple weeks first, then thaw it out a bit and score the hell out of it with a knife to increase it's surface area. (easier to digest) Also in this scored up state you don't even have to chew it, just put some in your mouth and swallow it. I think it honestly tastes better than cooked liver and it's more convenient. :2cents

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

Ok, thanks for all the tips; I'll try cooking it differently, soaking it and seeing if that works or try it raw/frozen if it doesn't.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
tomisonbottom said:
Ok, thanks for all the tips; I'll try cooking it differently, soaking it and seeing if that works or try it raw/frozen if it doesn't.
Like Mittir said, cutting it up in super small pieces really does help the taste. It's extra work but totally worth it.

Mittir

I get fresh liver from my butcher. They seemed to know which liver will have good taste.
Sometime i get bad tasting liver when i buy from other stores.
Now i can spot good liver just by looking at it.
If some liver taste really bad it probably has gotten bad from
improper storage or was bad from the start.
By bad i mean not so appealing texture.

OP
tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom

I get fresh liver from my butcher. They seemed to know which liver will have good taste.
Sometime i get bad tasting liver when i buy from other stores.
Now i can spot good liver just by looking at it.
If some liver taste really bad it probably has gotten bad from
improper storage or was bad from the start.
By bad i mean not so appealing texture.

Do you get a noticeable effect on your health from the liver? and if so, how soon after you eat it?

Marcus1000

I have contacted different suppliers regarding the vitamin A content.

The Now Foods liver powder contains barely any vitamin A: (a serving is 10 grams iirc)
"Thank you for your inquiry. The Vitamin A is approximately 18IU per serving and the iron is approximately 1mg per serving. These are naturally occurring, we do not fortify this powder. So, the nutrients can vary slightly.
The RDA for B6 is 1.7mg and the RDA for B-12 is 2.4mcg. So, there are tiny amounts of these two nutrients.

Thank you,

NOW Foods Product Info

----------------------

Keep in mind, the nutrients will vary a bit depending on what the animal is being fed. There is no error on our labeling. There’s no direct comparison between raw liver and our liver powder. Our liver powder has the moisture removed, and has been heated during processing. This process can reduce some of the nutrients naturally found in raw liver.

Thank you,

NOW Foods Product Info"

While the Nutricology brand liver powder contains a lot of vitamin A:
"Hi
The Vitamin A content is 26,000 IU per 100grams.
We do not test for mineral content.
Regards
Rick
Technical Support"

It seems it has to do with manufacturing methods or something maybe.

Peater Pan

Try eating some liver raw! Freeze it for a couple weeks first, then thaw it out a bit and score the hell out of it with a knife to increase it's surface area. (easier to digest) Also in this scored up state you don't even have to chew it, just put some in your mouth and swallow it. I think it honestly tastes better than cooked liver and it's more convenient. :2cents
Hardcore. I'll try it. By the time you consume, it's fully thawed?

marcar72

Some of it is a little iced up still but I just let it rest between my tongue and the roof of my mouth and sort of move it around a bit. This warms it up and gets some saliva flowing. I just had a 4 ounce piece raw a couple hours ago.

Peater Pan

Some of it is a little iced up still but I just let it rest between my tongue and the roof of my mouth and sort of move it around a bit. This warms it up and gets some saliva flowing. I just had a 4 ounce piece raw a couple hours ago.
Tomorrow's breakfast!

yashi

I do the exact same thing, but I let it fully thaw in the fridge over night then chop it up with a knife and swallow it down with some coffee (or water with a splash of vinegar). It goes down very easy (even with very small sips of liquid) and I have never been sick from weekly raw liver in 2 years. I think it's very safe. The raw liver should be very deep red and look very juicy. It will stay good for a few days in an air tight container (longer is even fine, but it gets a bit fermented/funky, but still perfectly save aslong as there is no mold).

For me it digest very well like this. I have heard from some people though that really hate liver and they don't digest it well this way, I guess cause they loath it so much that they don't generate enough digestive juices for it.