Desaturase inhibition rejuvenates heart

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's interesting such_saturation. A few years ago I had blood work done by a 'functional medicine practitioner' that indicated NO delta 6 desaturase activity. The prescribed treatment of course was Evening Primrose Oil. I suppose the more mainstream/alternative idea is that without delta 6 desaturse one can't convert O6 to DGLA so it must be provided in the diet. Obviously I don't believe I need GLA in my diet anymore but it's difficult to find any information on this topic. It would be interesting to know Peat's thoughts on impaired/absent delta 6 desaturase enzyme. I seem to be doing fine without it (the enzyme) and much better without GLA supplements!

OP
S
If you don't eat it, it won't get desaturated, all probably for the better.

OP
S
The reversal of the swelling of the heart is also one of the effects seen in some new age-reversing molecules.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hmmm... It seems this lack of delta 6 desaturase may not be such a bad thing after all. When I started reading Peat I made the leap in my mind that if PUFA really aren't necessary then I wouldn't worry too much about that enzyme. I have to say since making the switch my health has done nothing but steadily improved. I suppose that's all the evidence a girl could want. People like me kinda ruin the theory that O6/ GLA is necessary for health (and cell membranes!).

OP
S
Our membranes are at least fifty percent protein, I wouldn't worry about that. I wonder if through some thermodynamical calculation we could prove that desaturase are really a way to dispose of PUFA.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Our membranes are at least fifty percent protein, I wouldn't worry about that. I wonder if through some thermodynamical calculation we could prove that desaturase are really a way to dispose of PUFA.
I've wondered that too. I also tend to not believe in the traditional view of the cell membranes either.

OP
S
Blossom said:
Such_Saturation said:
I've wondered that too. I also tend to not believe in the traditional view of the cell membranes either.

It's not even a view, they know how the cell is a gel, they're just too lazy to bring that concept over to biology.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals