Dermalight (uvb Lamp) For Scalp Dermatitis

Motif

Anybody has experiences with it?

Did it help you? How did you use it?

Is it ok to use everyday as long as I don't get sunburnt?

Zpol

Nobody ever used something similar?
I'm currently researching this (RP recommended it to me via email). I plan to start using one in winter. Im frankly suprised as well that more people on this forum haven't shared their experiences.

OP
M

Motif

I'm currently researching this (RP recommended it to me via email). I plan to start using one in winter. Im frankly suprised as well that more people on this forum haven't shared their experiences.

He did? For what issue? Never heard him talk about it!

Zpol

I have a bunch of issues which I explained to him in detail (fatigue, migraine, dizziness, digestion issues, malabsorbtion Celiac, food allergies) , he deduced many of them stemmed from possible hyperparathyroidism, which is basically not enough calcium to balance phosphate, and the calcium getting displaced. Since Vit D is important in regulating this process, and mine is currently quite low, he made the following recommendation, "Much larger vitamin D supplements might help, or using an ultraviolet light." That's all he said on that topic, he didn't give an exact protocol unfortunately.

Dan W

Is it ok to use everyday as long as I don't get sunburnt?
I don't know specifically for the Dermalight, but I believe the Philips medical UVB bulbs for psoriasis can be used daily. But people start with very short treatment times.

he made the following recommendation, "Much larger vitamin D supplements might help, or using an ultraviolet light." That's all he said on that topic, he didn't give an exact protocol unfortunately.
I've been doing the approach I describe here for a couple years now, and it's boosted me out of deficiency range. Although knowing what I know now, I'd probably just go with the UVB narrowband bulbs like the Rayminder if I were starting from scratch. I figure they're both safer and might be less time-consuming.

Zpol

I've been doing the approach I describe here for a couple years now, and it's boosted me out of deficiency range. Although knowing what I know now, I'd probably just go with the UVB narrowband bulbs like the Rayminder if I were starting from scratch. I figure they're both safer and might be less time-consuming

Thanks! Good call on the safety measures you mention on your page.

TripleOG

@Motif
@Zpol

I've been using UVB light sporadically (don't have ideal setup yet) the last month in an effort to raise Vit. D. I was pleasantly surprised when a small psoriasis patch behind my one ear disappeared after 3 sessions of 1 minute. Was unbelievable, honestly. Looking forward to my next Vit. D test.

If you're in the states like myself, Phillips narrowband can be a hassle to get or expensive. This website was a nice guide that introduced me to midrange UVB bulbs. The spectrum of Ushio, Sankyo-Denki, Rayminder, and Sperti bulbs are all the same. Sperti has had research to prove its effectiveness for Vit. D, but the unit is expensive. Ushio and Sankyo-Denki can be had for around $20 a bulb (12 and 18inch)

But then I found HTGsupply.com that has 2ft and 4ft midrange UVB bulbs with the same spectrum. Trusted seller, too. Bought their reflective 4ft, 2 lamp fixture packaged with 2 UVB bulbs for $70. Haven't found a better deal online.

Hope this helps.

Dan W

But then I found HTGsupply.com that has 2ft and 4ft midrange UVB bulbs with the same spectrum. Trusted seller, too. Bought their reflective 4ft, 2 lamp fixture packaged with 2 UVB bulbs for $70. Haven't found a better deal online.
Thanks for this, that seems like a really good deal! I ended up spending more than that *trying* to be frugal with smaller bulbs/fixtures.

How long do you use your UVB narrowband bulb for at a time, what distance away from you and how often? Thanks!
I do 90 minutes every day (circumstances permitting). I point two of the bulbs pointed at my back/shoulders (about 7 inches away), and one at my chest (about 12 inches away). They're in mirror-reflective / directional fixtures. I assume that'd be a recklessly high "dose" with some of the other bulbs though, I've noticed they usually suggest starting with a minute or two. Mine are the 23watt Exo Terra CFL UVB reptile bulbs, which I thought would be fairly strong, but they didn't budge my levels until I started using them for long periods at close distances.

raypeatclips

Thanks for this, that seems like a really good deal! I ended up spending more than that *trying* to be frugal with smaller bulbs/fixtures.

I do 90 minutes every day (circumstances permitting). I point two of the bulbs pointed at my back/shoulders (about 7 inches away), and one at my chest (about 12 inches away). They're in mirror-reflective / directional fixtures. I assume that'd be a recklessly high "dose" with some of the other bulbs though, I've noticed they usually suggest starting with a minute or two. Mine are the 23watt Exo Terra CFL UVB reptile bulbs, which I thought would be fairly strong, but they didn't budge my levels until I started using them for long periods at close distances.

You use uvb bulbs for an hour and a half a day? The advice I got with my uvb bulb was start at 30 seconds 3 times a week and work my way up, stopping when skin gets red and doing less time next time. 90 minutes seems impossible. I've got one of the long strip bulbs though.

TripleOG

Yea, they're legit. Pricing seemed too good, I had to call them and verify the website wasn't BS'ing the output and spectrum. They assured me, and recalled a staff member of theirs experiencing erythema from 30min indirect exposure sitting across the room from it . They also measured the UVB output @ 2ft in one of their youtube videos. Checks out.

Dan W

You use uvb bulbs for an hour and a half a day?
Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but that's what it took to start budging my vitamin D levels. I'd really like to compare some of the other bulbs, I think a lot of my problem is their output/spectrum, they're wasting a lot of power in wavelengths I don't want:
vitamin-d-uvb-lamps-uvb200-spectrum.jpg