haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another bad news for the "young". Given the correlation between mental health and a variety of physiological ailments like CVD, cancer, dementia, etc this latest news matches quite well the overall abysmall picture of the world's declining health.
The "Young" Have Now Become The Old

I am starting to wonder if this rate of sickness and frailty in the chronologically youngest members of society won't lead to some kind of demographic/economic/social cataclysm. We already saw the news on fertility declining below replacement levels, and I suspect declining health is one of the main reasons.
Remarkable Decline In Fertility - Half The World Below Replacement Levels
Lack of finances can only explain so much and many poor people have a lot of children despite the fact that they can't afford to feed them all. There is also the retirement and health care aspect that is ticking bomb currently.
Pensions and medical care for the elderly mostly depend on the young BOTH working AND being healthy as to not overbudren the already strained health system. Yet, all the evidence so far points to the youngest people being so frail and incapacitated that they often need more care and support than the elderly. It's almost like a war between generations for limited financial resources and health care is brewing...

Changes in millennial adolescent mental health and health-related behaviours over 10 years: a population cohort comparison study
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-depression-millennials.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...-the-rise-especially-in-teens-and-millennials
"...Depression diagnoses rose 33 percent in America from 2013 to 2016, mostly among adolescents and millennials. The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association published a study Thursday, Major Depression: The Impact On Overall Health, which found depression diagnoses are increasing rapidly in America, especially among certain demographics. It increased 63 percent in adolescents (ages 12 to 17) and 47 percent in millennials (ages 18 to 34). The mental illness has a 4.4 percent overall diagnosis rate and affects more than nine million commercially insured people in the United States. "Major depression diagnoses are growing quickly, especially for adolescents and millennials," Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer for BCBSA, Trent Haywood, said in a press release. "The high rates for adolescents and millennials could have a substantial health impact for decades to come."

"...According to the study, those diagnosed with depression are almost 30 percent less healthy on average than people living without depression. That's because they commonly have other health conditions. Only 15 percent of people with depression only had that condition. Twenty-one percent had one other health condition, 19 percent had two, 16 percent had three and 29 percent had four or more other chronic health conditions. Additionally, people with depression use healthcare services more than other commercially insured Americans, leading to more than twice the overall healthcare spending, $10,673 compared to $4,283. An average of $920 per year is spent to treat a person with major depression."

Lee Simeon

Hmm, I am curious as to what could have happened during just three years. As a youngster myself, I have recognized it is hard to ignore just how many suffers from this.

johnwester130

Yet you have also written that more intelligent people get depression.

Obviously the chemicals and wifi and vaccines and economic stress are harming people too

Lee Simeon

Yet you have also written that more intelligent people get depression.

Obviously the chemicals and wifi and vaccines and economic stress are harming people too
True, but why would this only occur to young people? Seems like all people would be exposed to chemicals and wifi at least.

Jem Oz

Might not be an increase in depression. Might represent an increase in self-awareness. Or the fact that more people than in the past feel ABLE to be honest about their feelings.

That said, I think young people face incredible pressure to perform, achieve, compete, compare, be across all the issues, live up to the myths of social media etc. So it wouldn't surprise me.

Unachievable examples of a higher quality of life bombarding brain daily mostly via social networks.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Might not be an increase in depression. Might represent an increase in self-awareness. Or the fact that more people than in the past feel ABLE to be honest about their feelings.

That said, I think young people face incredible pressure to perform, achieve, compete, compare, be across all the issues, live up to the myths of social media etc. So it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes, but the other links posted in the "you/old" thread also show increase in a wide number of physiological conditions in the young. So, given depression's correlation with those conditions I am inclined to say that the rise in mental illness rates in young people is real.

somuch4food

I'm noticing my peers are struggling now and showing aging symptoms already.

I'm only 28. My generation seems to be really unhealthy metabolically.

Everyone seems to have issues related to aging: sleep troubles, freezing in the middle of the day, gray hairs, circles under the eyes. The late twenties are the new forties.

A colleague of my partner is always freezing, but since she's a bit overweight she restricts calories and goes to the gym on an empty stomach.

I think we have been so misinformed that we are heading into an unhealthy direction unknowingly. Suggestions from the Internet and media hold better grounds than those of colleagues. We have been trained to follow the authorities' guidelines and have stopped listening to peers and our bodies.

Fortunately for me, I found Ray Peat and started to see that what we're told doesn't add up.

Jem Oz

I don't want to open a can of gender worms, but I am STAGGERED by the number of unhappy young women in my (large) office. They have dead faces, dead voices, and they seem to have lost touch with any kind of radiant femininity.

Lejeboca

"...Depression diagnoses rose 33 percent in America from 2013 to 2016, mostly among adolescents and millennials. The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association published a study Thursday, Major Depression: The Impact On Overall Health, which found depression diagnoses are increasing rapidly in America, especially among certain demographics."

Although I am not questioning the deteriorating health of the young generation, I find it curious that the start year of the interval (2013) corresponds to the start year of the current (5th) edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).
Wouldn't that signify that mental-diagnosis "standards" have been "raised" to pump more money and embrace a new slice of population?
Reminds me of cholesterol numbers lowering for a statin push on people...

NathanK

If you think this is something, hold on to your seats. Check out the latest CDC report on suicide mortality rates. Suicides have increased 33% since 1999. Suicide is now staggeringly the second leading cause of death for the ages of 10-34. In the UK, suicide rates of students according to the ONS has risen 56% in 10 years and has taken over suicide rates of the total 20-24 years old population (Student suicide increase warning). By contrast, suicide rates outside western countries has significantly dropped in that same time.

Products - Data Briefs - Number 330 - September 2018
Key findings
Data from the National Vital Statistics System, Mortality

• From 1999 through 2017, the age-adjusted suicide rate increased 33% from 10.5 to 14.0 per 100,000.
  • Suicide rates were significantly higher in 2017 compared with 1999 among females aged 10–14 (1.7 and 0.5, respectively), 15–24 (5.8 and 3.0), 25–44 (7.8 and 5.5), 45–64 (9.7 and 6.0), and 65–74 (6.2 and 4.1).
  • Suicide rates were significantly higher in 2017 compared with 1999 among males aged 10–14 (3.3 and 1.9, respectively), 15–24 (22.7 and 16.8), 25–44 (27.5 and 21.6), 45–64 (30.1 and 20.8) and 65–74 (26.2 and 24.7).
  • In 2017, the age-adjusted suicide rate for the most rural (noncore) counties was 1.8 times the rate for the most urban (large central metro) counties (20.0 and 11.1 per 100,000, respectively).
Since 2008, suicide has ranked as the 10th leading cause of death for all ages in the United States (1). In 2016, suicide became the second leading cause of death for ages 10–34 and the fourth leading cause for ages 35–54 (1). Although the Healthy People 2020 target is to reduce suicide rates to 10.2 per 100,000 by 2020 (2), suicide rates have steadily increased in recent years (3,4). This data brief uses final mortality data from the National Vital Statistics System (NVSS) to update trends in suicide mortality from 1999 through 2017 and to describe differences by sex, age group, and urbanization level of the decedent’s county of residence.

And then there's this: https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...V9nhHCk7ucihl-dXVWqf_MXtvkvoId_QEfniYnLUSBIjo

Last edited:

schultz

People need purpose in life. Aside from having children, religion and community used to fill that gap to a degree. With the sexual revolution guys can have sex with women with no commitment and a lot of them don't feel the need to stay in a long term relationship. Women are going to school and working and maybe are not having children, or are at least waiting until their late 30's/early 40's. Children give your life meaning. I always felt like what is the point of life if you're not going to have children. (Just my opinion)

Raising kids helps you grow as a human being. They are the greatest gift in this world! (I love my children more than anything)

B

Braveheart

People need purpose in life. Aside from having children, religion and community used to fill that gap to a degree. With the sexual revolution guys can have sex with women with no commitment and a lot of them don't feel the need to stay in a long term relationship. Women are going to school and working and maybe are not having children, or are at least waiting until their late 30's/early 40's. Children give your life meaning. I always felt like what is the point of life if you're not going to have children. (Just my opinion)

Raising kids helps you grow as a human being. They are the greatest gift in this world! (I love my children more than anything)
:thumbsup:

Whichway?

I think you are a absolutely right. However I think you get generations have had to face the fact at an earlier age that relationships are not a paradise, more often a constant negotiation, argument, and finally ending in divorce and financial pain. Also the workplace has increased in intensity (at least here in Australia) where people seem to be super busy from the time they get to work until the time they leave. It leaves you exhausted. Couple that with job insecurity, rising cost of living, housing prices which are becoming out of reach for many, and today’s constant hate filled left vs right political arguments, immigration issues, global warming, etc...

I’m not surprised in the slightest that young people are despondent. I’m surprised more of them aren’t.

Makrosky

I like this point of view. It could be expanded into a more philosophical kind of discussion but I will stick with the OP.

The article talks about depression diagnostics. I don't think people is more depressed "per se" than before, it is other things that have changed :

- The lowering of thresholds for diagnosing depression. What 20 or 30 years ago would be considered just a person with melancholic tendencies, or lazy, or just someoone not very ambitious, is now a depressed patient. You go to the doctor a tell him you have been feel down and unmotivated to go to work for 3 weeks... and you end up with a SSRI prescription. They consider it harmless so they push it to everyone. 3 weeks. Which kind of world is this you cannot be "down" for 3 weeks.

- Lots of other diseases or disregulated things that are not really a depression are diagnosed under the depression umbrella. Hypothyroidism, CFS, EMF issues, you name it...

- The social stigma that have been created in that you cannot be "down". You have to be always happy, bright, motivated to achieve goals (most of them meaningless like corporation world careers and stuff), etc... makes people believe they are depressed, puts them into the narrative of that they are depressed, they ask themselves for antidepressive medications.

- The demanding for higher education standards and higher qualified jobs require a much better mental function than physical jobs and lower education. I don't know if you guys agree but for me it is much easier to do physical jobs when I feel depressed than mental jobs. So a lot of people that naturally would not fit mental jobs is forced to do so because the world trend is going in that direction, and they find themselves unable to catch up with the mental demands. Probably they feel depressed (not in the clinical sense) and frustrated because of that and are diagnosed as depressed. They are put on antidepressants, their mental power increases, so then they can fit their expectations.

And many others. So I would say part of that big increase is in the way we see depression, not that the patient is really depressed.

Literally

I recently saw some videos by a Richard Grannon on YouTube regarding social media. While I couldn't agree with his whole stance, he cited some evidence that teen/young adult suicide and depression in particular has spiked incredibly sharply since 2007, which was a key year for social media adoption. He 100% believes that social media is driving it.

JDreamer

I recently saw some videos by a Richard Grannon on YouTube regarding social media. While I couldn't agree with his whole stance, he cited some evidence that teen/young adult suicide and depression in particular has spiked incredibly sharply since 2007, which was a key year for social media adoption. He 100% believes that social media is driving it.

It's pretty damn obvious.

Cirion

I agree with that statement. Social media, in an attempt to increase connectivity of people, has ironically resulted in the reverse - for both people just looking for friends, and also those looking for dating relationships (including dating apps). Dating apps have ruined dating, ironically enough.

I agree with the social media hypothesis. The thing I have witnessed, is if one does not partake in social media, they may become personally happier and more productive, yet at the same time they are viewed negatively for abstaining by their peers and may also begin to feel left out socially in many ways, as most “socialization” occurs these days in a quazi reality, so in this sense it is a bit like chosing to cut oneself off from “society” which can be depressing in of itself... It is a bit of a paradox beause if you choose to not partake, and seek a real social life, you also cut out most of your friends and family who are more absorbed in this quazi reality. If one has a circle of friends that do not rely on social media for their social gratification that goes a very long way.