Logan-

Has anyone asked Ray Peat his opinion about this drug?

Would he think it is safe for long term usage?

Do you think it is safe, and good to use as a nootropic?

Selegiline Experiences
"Q: What are your thoughts on Selegiline?

RP: It’s safer than many antidepressants, it depends on the nature of the problem, though."

He does mention of it in one of his articles on his web site called dark side of stress learned helplessness
New Page Title Here

"Brain trauma consistently leads to decreased activity of this enzyme (Östberg, et al., 2011; Donat, et al., 2007), causing the acetylcholine produced in the brain to accumulate, with many interesting consequences. In 1997, a group (Pike, et al.) created brain injuries in rats to test the idea that a cholinesterase inhibitor would improve their recovery and ability to move through a maze. They found instead that it reduced the cognitive ability of both the injured and normal rats. An anticholinergic drug, selegeline (deprenyl) that is used to treat Parkinson's disease and, informally, as a mood altering antiaging drug, was found by a different group (Zhu, et al., 2000) to improve cognitive recovery from brain injuries."

It does not appear he has spoken on long term use.

It is fairly safe used at appropriate dosages. There are various dosage protocols you can find on Google. It is pretty good as a nootropic.

Dave Clark

Thank you.
For what it's worth, I have been using deprenyl for about 20 years. I take a half a tab, 2.5 mg/day during the week, and take the weekend off. Never noticed any negative effects, I usually have good drive, etc., but that could also be from other things that I use/do. I was mostly interested in the reduced aging of the brain area that produces dopamine (substantia nigra). I think a drug like deprenyl is very important when you get into your senior years, maybe not a good one for the younger guys.

Dave Clark

@Dave Clark have you ever tried piracetam? What do you think about that?

Wikipedia page for Hydergine says :
Ergoloids are also used by many people as a nootropic.[citation needed] It may be used in conjunction with other cerebral enhancers like piracetam, with which it may act synergistically.[3][unreliable source]
Ergoloid - Wikipedia

Hydergine? Where are you : Nootropics
Have used Hydergine for years after learning about it from Pearson & Shaw, but all of the sudden it is not available. I am not sure if Sandoz is making it anymore, and all of my over seas sources stopped carrying it. If you know a good source please post it. I was thinking about checking with my doc to see if he could even get it for me, but I have a feeling it isn't available. When I did use it it seemed like it had nice effects.

Dave Clark

Have used Hydergine for years after learning about it from Pearson & Shaw, but all of the sudden it is not available. I am not sure if Sandoz is making it anymore, and all of my over seas sources stopped carrying it. If you know a good source please post it. I was thinking about checking with my doc to see if he could even get it for me, but I have a feeling it isn't available. When I did use it it seemed like it had nice effects.
To answer your piracetam question, yes I tried it once, but didn't give it enough time to make a judgement. After studying some of the racetems, I think the aniracetem might be what I am looking for: Aniracetam Powder (check out their whole site, they have some nice stuff). The hydergine interested me more for the benefits to mitochondria, etc.

OP
L

Logan-

other things that I use/do
@Dave Clark what else do you use to prevent/slow down cerebral aging and increase drive?

From my research I have formed the idea that deprenyl and piracetam are probably safe for long term use. I quite care about drug safety.

I tried sulbutiamine some time ago, but didn't see any benefit, even at high doses.

I might try methylene blue next.

As for hydergine, seems like you are not the only one looking for it: Hydergine Effects, Benefits, Dosages and Side Effects
Comments section has people looking for a seller. I think, if you look hard enough on the internet, you may find new sources. Maybe ask on relevant online forums, reddit etc. Someone might give you a useful info, at least.

Last edited:

Anders86

I have read somewhere that Peat speaks positivly about piracetam, but good sources are scarse. I know it increases the brains utilisation of glucose and it is also considered anticholinergic. Piracetam seem to be very popular in lowcarb nootropic community's..

Dave Clark

I have read somewhere that Peat speaks positivly about piracetam, but good sources are scarse. I know it increases the brains utilisation of glucose and it is also considered anticholinergic. Piracetam seem to be very popular in lowcarb nootropic community's..
I know it increases the brains utilisation of glucose and it is also considered anticholinergic. Piracetam seem to be very popular in lowcarb nootropic community's..
That makes sense, since they always recommend taking a choline supplement when using racetems, I guess they utilize or deplete acetylcholine.

Dave Clark

@Dave Clark what else do you use to prevent/slow down cerebral aging and increase drive?

From my research I have formed the idea that deprenyl and piracetam are probably safe for long term use. I quite care about drug safety.

I tried sulbutiamine some time ago, but didn't see any benefit, even at high doses.

I might try methylene blue next.

As for hydergine, seems like you are not the only one looking for it: Hydergine Effects, Benefits, Dosages and Side Effects
Comments section has people looking for a seller. I think, if you look hard enough on the internet, you may find new sources. Maybe ask on relevant online forums, reddit etc. Someone might give you a useful info, at least.
I use centrophenoxine, which I can always feel a difference in memory and quick recall. I use very small doses of methylene blue, but not for brain issues. I want to try aniracetam next, I hear good things about it. That's pretty much it: centro, deprenyl, and hydergine (if I can get it). I also cycle mucuna, which is good for dopamine.

Wolf

+1 for deprenyl.
Just be wary of psychosis if you happen to be taking any other dopaminergics

Dave Clark

@Dave Clark what form of deprenyl do you take? ive seen everything from powders, to liquids, to pharma grade tablets
I take the tablets. I split them in half and take one half tab/day during the week. I used to use the deprenyl citrate in liquid, but that seems to not be available anymore.

No_Energy

@Dave Clark , Hi Dave, Did you use Hydergine and deprenyl at the same time? Or were you using the two substances on different periods to avoid any interactions?. Thanks man.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals