Depleting tryptophan with grits

beachbum

Hello all,

I was searching for information on grits if it increases or lowers tryptophan. I came across this like I thought was very interesting. They say grits depletes tryptophan.

http://aminoacidstudies.org/cancer/

Tryptophan is an amino acid essential for the spreading of cancer cells, and grits help to deplete this, making grits the preferred carbohydrate for many of the CAAT food regimens, although rice is also considered a good carbohydrate.

It would like you science/nutrition people to give input on this link.

Thank you
Beachbum

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Deleting tryptophan with grits

Oh dang, I love me some grits with syrup. :drool

haidut

Forum Supporter
beachbum said:
post 116770 Hello all,

I was searching for information on grits if it increases or lowers tryptophan. I came across this like I thought was very interesting. They say grits depletes tryptophan.

http://aminoacidstudies.org/cancer/

Tryptophan is an amino acid essential for the spreading of cancer cells, and grits help to deplete this, making grits the preferred carbohydrate for many of the CAAT food regimens, although rice is also considered a good carbohydrate.

It would like you science/nutrition people to give input on this link.

Thank you
Beachbum

This is a great find, but I am having trouble verifying the claims in that link. How is grits depleting tryptophan? The limited info out there shows that grits has very little protein, so even if it's deficient in tryptophan it would have a small effect on depleting body stores.
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrien ... -2069.html
Is there anything else in grits that has a tryptophan-depleting effect? If you have some additional info please share as if grits turns out to be legit then it would be a great addition to the Peat diet given how widely available and cheap it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
beachbum

beachbum

Lol..I was hoping one of you guys/gals would be able to explain it.. so while we are waiting on more info I will investigate more. Yes you do have a good point on where they are coming from with that info. :?:

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Okay the more I research them I keep reading they are deficient in niacin and tryptophan before the nixtamalization process. If this process isn't done you develop pellagra a niacin deficiency. After that process the niacin and tryptophan increase (change).

From Wikipedia:

Nixtamalization (IPA: [ˌnɪkstɑmɑlɪˈzeɪʃən]) typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater, and hulled. The term can also refer to the removal via an alkali process of the pericarp from other grains such as sorghum.

Maize subjected to the nixtamalization process has several benefits over unprocessed grain: it is more easily ground; its nutritional value is increased; flavor and aroma are improved; and mycotoxins are reduced. Lime and ash are highly alkaline: the alkalinity helps the dissolution of hemicellulose, the major glue-like component of the maize cell walls, and loosens the hulls from the kernels and softens the corn. Some of the corn oil is broken down into emulsifying agents (monoglycerides and diglycerides), while bonding of the corn proteins to each other is also facilitated. The divalent calcium in lime acts as a cross-linking agent for protein and polysaccharide acidic side chains.[1] As a result, while cornmeal made from untreated ground corn is unable by itself to form a dough on addition of water, the chemical changes in masa allow dough formation. These benefits make nixtamalization a crucial preliminary step for further processing of maize into food products, and the process is employed using both traditional and industrial methods, in the production of tortillas and tortilla chips (but not corn chips), tamales, hominy and many other items.

Now what confuses me is I'm guessing this process is done automatically now.right? Because that link above I posted wasn't decades ago ;) so how can they say it depletes it unless your in a place they don't treat maize first. This is just what I gathered from my own investigation, maybe I'm missing something else. I did learn though tryptophan isn't that bad. I have a question though, why supplement with niacin instead of eat foods with tryptophan which IMO Ray Peat recommend foods should do go for niacin. Just curious ;)

haidut

Forum Supporter
beachbum said:
post 116804 Okay the more I research them I keep reading they are deficient in niacin and tryptophan before the nixtamalization process. If this process isn't done you develop pellagra a niacin deficiency. After that process the niacin and tryptophan increase (change).

From Wikipedia:

Nixtamalization (IPA: [ˌnɪkstɑmɑlɪˈzeɪʃən]) typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the grain is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater, and hulled. The term can also refer to the removal via an alkali process of the pericarp from other grains such as sorghum.

Maize subjected to the nixtamalization process has several benefits over unprocessed grain: it is more easily ground; its nutritional value is increased; flavor and aroma are improved; and mycotoxins are reduced. Lime and ash are highly alkaline: the alkalinity helps the dissolution of hemicellulose, the major glue-like component of the maize cell walls, and loosens the hulls from the kernels and softens the corn. Some of the corn oil is broken down into emulsifying agents (monoglycerides and diglycerides), while bonding of the corn proteins to each other is also facilitated. The divalent calcium in lime acts as a cross-linking agent for protein and polysaccharide acidic side chains.[1] As a result, while cornmeal made from untreated ground corn is unable by itself to form a dough on addition of water, the chemical changes in masa allow dough formation. These benefits make nixtamalization a crucial preliminary step for further processing of maize into food products, and the process is employed using both traditional and industrial methods, in the production of tortillas and tortilla chips (but not corn chips), tamales, hominy and many other items.

Now what confuses me is I'm guessing this process is done automatically now.right? Because that link above I posted wasn't decades ago ;) so how can they say it depletes it unless your in a place they don't treat maize first. This is just what I gathered from my own investigation, maybe I'm missing something else. I did learn though tryptophan is that bad. I have a question though, why supplement with niacin instead of eat foods with tryptophan which IMO Ray Peat recommend foods should do go for niacin. Just curious ;)

You can eat foods with tryptophan but they need to be high in calcium since that steers the metabolism of tryptophan towards naicin and not towards serotonin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

Pellagra, a severe vitamin B3 deficiency, is often blamed on the lack of tryptophan (a precursor) in the diet. Pellagra is often seen where maize in staple food:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

The traditional food preparation method of maize ("corn"), nixtamalization, by native New World cultivators who had domesticated corn, required treatment of the grain with lime, an alkali. The lime treatment has been shown to make niacin nutritionally available and reduce the chance of developing pellagra.[24] When maize cultivation was adopted worldwide, this preparation method was not accepted because the benefit was not understood. The original cultivators, often heavily dependent on maize, did not suffer from pellagra; it became common only when maize became a staple that was eaten without the traditional treatment.

RP: Yeah, women in particular are very susceptible to too much tryptophan. They used to be the victims of pellagra much more often than men. That's because estrogen redirects the metabolism of tryptophan into serotonin rather than niacin or niacinamide. When corn treated with — alkalized — to make hominy or tortillas, the chemistry shifts it over in that pathway to make niacin out of it and doesn't let so much serotonin be formed.

Aging and Energy Reversal - KMUD, 2013-12-20

RP: Most people know hominy, alkali-treated corn, when you grind up hominy, you make the traditional tortilla or molle, and if people eat their corn or wheat in that form , they aren‘t susceptible to pellagra for example, because niacin is created in the treatment, and it lowers the problem of too much leucine in the diet from the corn, so it nutritionally corrects the natural problems of the grain.

Health and Diet - One Radio Network, 2014-01-01

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Thank you soooooooo much...now making sense. .so if the tryptophan is redirected to produce niacin all good. And look at that dang estrogen dominance messing things up. As for estrogen dominance all I can say since using progesterone (before reading it from RP) I have major changes for the good. Eveyone needs to remember that when you are changing your hormones and neurotransmitters give it time and expect changes, meaning if you get a rash, headache your body my be adjusting/repairing. I know I went through many changes, in the beginning things got worse. I just listened to my body and educated myself two very important things. I also believe food first especially for the fact I don't tolerate them well, except my best friend progesterone that is applied.

Thank you again
Beachbum

tara

Nixtamalisation involves cooking the corn up with calcium hydroxide, right? Does the nixtamalisation also add significant calcium to the corn, along with creating niacin and modifying the proteins? If so, that could be a factor too?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals