Depleted Minerals In Soil- Is It Impossible To Get Enough Nutrients Without Supplementing?

bistecca

I've asked myself this question.. I'm not keen on taking pills. It's just not as satisfying as eating a delicious nutritious food. I think there is probably something missing by just taking a pill. There are probably a lot of beneficial compounds that are in fruits and meat and other foods that are grown in rich healthy ecosystems.. Vitamin k2 wasn't really well studied until recently and we now know its benefit. There are probably a ton of other things we haven't recognized yet.

I've also asked myself what makes soil rich and what contributes to soil depletion. I don't think it's true that all soil is depleted. Our modern practices definitely exacerbate things. There are groups advocating that we replicate natural methods of soil formation to improve degraded soils. Soil richness depends on mineral richness, and mineral richness is derived from rocks. All soil comes primarily from rocks. The rocks you start with determine the limiting factors. The amount of time, the temperature, the amount of rainfall, the exploitative activities, etc all can contribute to degradation of soil. So there is research being done at big universities about using crushed, mineral-dense rocks as a means of restoring fertility to degraded land, and restoring functionality to the damaged ecosystems surrounding intensive agriculture. Basalt is a black volcanic rock and it degrades very quickly into rich soil. It's like a mineral supplement for the earth. Calcium, magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc, copper, boron, etc, all found in good quantities in basalt.

Dave Clark

From what I had read, and I don't know how true it is, but it was said that the microbiome in the soil has to break down minerals into picometer size in order for the plants to uptake. With the usage of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides, etc., the soil has been sterilized of the needed microbiome, hence little to no uptake of minerals into the plants. The soil doesn't have to be depleted for our food to not have enough nutrients, but disturbing this natural process can cause a depletion in the foods via the aforementioned reason.