Deodorant Suggestions

Wolf

Any suggestions for Deodorant? Currently using Tom's of Maine and some CO/clove across my chest. It works, but I have concerns about long term use.

squanch

I've recently switched to just plain alcohol (95%) sprayed under my armpits 2x per day.
It works surprisingly well actually. I thought it would dry out my skin and irritate it at that alcohol level, but it does not at all.

I've tried a baking soda / coconut oil mix before that, but my skin became red and irritated after a while.

OP
W

Wolf

Lilac

I use a hint of coconut oil and a little baking soda. No smell for two days. Maybe the third day a bit of muskiness. I am continually amazed by this.

However: I remember trying the recommended coconut oil and baking soda years ago, earlier in my Peat journey, and it did not seem to work. Got the familiar B.O. smell. So maybe PUFA depletion or improvement in metabolism was key to this working--for me anyway.

Luckytype

I hope this isnt TMI but it definitely applies here.

I have an irritated sweat gland or group of pores where my leg meets my pelvis between my legs. Its right where the boxer brief rides up into my crotch and im sure its from rubbing.

When i reached down to check what was going on I noticed an excessive amount of sweat in the area where the irritation is. I didnt know what to do and I really didnt think i needed to(or wanted to)use any chemicals or creams so I dabbed coconut oil on it.

After 1 night the crazy perspiration on the irritated section stopped. It seems to be the only thing that works. The area is more dry than usual too. Im pretty impressed to be honest because i dont consider myself a "use this for all" type of guy.

Arnold Grape

Previously I was using a magnesium spray, but I just upped to the aluminum free deodorant from Baxter Of California if that says anything about the efficacy of the former - I know some people can get away with it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I use a hint of coconut oil and a little baking soda. No smell for two days. Maybe the third day a bit of muskiness. I am continually amazed by this.

However: I remember trying the recommended coconut oil and baking soda years ago, earlier in my Peat journey, and it did not seem to work. Got the familiar B.O. smell. So maybe PUFA depletion or improvement in metabolism was key to this working--for me anyway.
I think I'm too afraid to go without something strong at work just because the shifts are 12 hours, often stressful and I'm up close with a lot of people. Like you I never notice a B.O. smell anymore though.

shepherdgirl

i haven't tried this but i think trehalose could be promising - they did a study where it suppressed body odor (interestingly they say that the b.o. was caused by " unsaturated aldehydes such as 2-nonenal and 2-octenal. These aldehydes are produced by the degradation of unsaturated fatty acid (palmitoleic acid) in aged people’s skin" - so maybe that means Peaties have less b.o.? I personally seem to have much less b.o. Anyway here's the link):
Trehalose!
I bought a giant bag of it because i thought it could help with weight loss - did not work for me, although maybe I didn't take enough. Anyway maybe i will try making deodorant with it.

Kyle M

How do you apply it, though? Just rub it around under your arm or do you make it wet?

You put a small amount of water on it, just enough to dissolve it, anymore and it will drip down before drying. It's a skill to use it that you learn over time.

One caveat, I was always on the lesser side of the scale with sweatiness and BO, so your mileage may vary using baking soda. If you sweat a lot or if you have strong, quickly developing BO, maybe it's not for you. I can only say that for myself I can easily go an entire day with moderate sweating and not have BO using it.

saene

I found that something with mostly baking soda was effective but very skin irritating. After some experimenting I made a concoction of coconut oil, baking soda, a little charcoal, arrowroot (for dryness) and sometimes a little shea butter so it’s a bit more smooth. This has worked well for me and doesn’t irritate my skin.

Mossy

I found that something with mostly baking soda was effective but very skin irritating. After some experimenting I made a concoction of coconut oil, baking soda, a little charcoal, arrowroot (for dryness) and sometimes a little shea butter so it’s a bit more smooth. This has worked well for me and doesn’t irritate my skin.
I have a pretty precise recipe that uses some of your ingredients.

It's kind of a blend of Schmidt's Lime and Mineral deodorants, and I find that it is quite effective. You'll see that you can add or omit jojoba oil to make it smoother, if desired. The one ingredient I have trouble with is the magnesium. I first tried magnesium chloride, attempting to kill two birds with one stone and up my DHEA at the same time. Well, I have an allergic reaction to straight mag. chlor. topical; I thought blending it with the other ingredients might help--it didn't. So, now I'm trying magnesium hydroxide.

This fills about 2 regular (about 2.5oz/71gr) plastic deodorant containers:
  • 2 oz. cup corn starch /arrowroot

• 2 oz. cup baking soda

• 45 g coconut oil

• 15 g bees wax

• 11 g shea butter

• 5 g Magnesium hydroxide -- ( may be allergenic for some )

• 5 g diatomaceous earth

• 5 g jojoba oil -- ( makes it very soft, if you want that--I don't use it )

• 10 - 30 drops of essential oil -- ( depending on potency of oils )

• 7 drops T-50 tocopherol oil -- ( preservative )

Last edited:

Birdie

We've used rubbing alcohol for years. Easy and it works.

xborg

1oz alcohol (Ethyl) Rubbing/isopropyl is toxic
1oz witch hazel
30 - 40 drops essential oil blend - mostly of wood and citrus oils (spruce, balsam fir, cypress, cedar, clary sage, lemon, orange, grapefruit, lavender, bergamot, etc)

I used to just use a spritz of alcohol only (even a little Purell works fine) but the above blend is very fresh and less harsh than pure alcohol. Just 1 spray lasts me a couple of days.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Milk of magnesia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals