Dentures or implants

iLoveSugar

I'm younger, late 30s, but have been dealt a terrible deck of cards in life with my teeth. Between root canals at a young age, crowded and crooked teeth, to 4 missing teeth, and severe pain all the time, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of the options above. I'm getting tooth by tooth pulled due to the severity of issues, and they just don't look good anymore. I think implants "look better", but I want to go with the best option.

Think either of these options are safe?

@iLoveSugar

l
My problems are somewhat similar to yours except my problems seemed to begin at age 22 with my first pregnancy when I lost two teeth.
The doctor said to up my calcium which I did but it made no difference I had two further pregnancies lost teeth on those as well.

My problem just deteriorated more loss of teeth over the years they fell out one by one.
Some of them even broke off the baseline so I even have some buried roots..
Lots of pain and abscess over the years until I discovered oil pulling which stopped the abscess's.

I lived with this horrible situation for years trying to save money for implants.

It brought on anxiety depression and really wrecked my life.
I was so upset with losing my teeth that I held onto the loose roots because I knew that if I lost these all the bone in my jaw might really go.

I did deep research into implants and found a very dark side of that, also some of my friends had implants and it never worked out.... Excruciatingly painful jaw deterioration the implants fell out.

Eventually I bit the bullet (gumed the. bullet 🤣🤣) the bullet and decided to go for a full dentures upper and lower it was the best decision I ever made.

I think it may work out well if your teeth were healthy in the first place and your gums were extremely healthy which mind were not,
Also I don't think it will work if you have bone loss which I had they tell you they can give you bone rejuvenation but that is another story altogether and does not always work.
My only advice to you would be to do deep research and be realistic about your health situation in your mouth.
The very best of luck to you and I hope you make the right decision for you🤗

AspiringSage

I’d lean towards implants despite the added expense. I know a few people living with both options. Implants are a pain and they are expensive; but, they seem to result in a higher quality of life. A more natural day to day experience.

I believe that zirconium implants are more biocompatible than titanium implants. This is a delicate area and the nerves are connected right into critical areas.

Personally, I’d ensure that you are in good metabolic health, are healing as rapidly as possible and have suitable antibiotics on hand before any surgery in that area. An untreated infection in a nerve can be really painful and bad.

JamesGatz

Implants definitely - considering they tend to be made up of Titanium and Zirconia, if anything your metabolic rate should vastly improve with this drilled to the bone

Dentures are all acrylic or highly toxic materials so IMO worst option

Cydanic

Implants definitely - considering they tend to be made up of Titanium and Zirconia, if anything your metabolic rate should vastly improve with this drilled to the bone

Dentures are all acrylic or highly toxic materials so IMO worst option
Theres evidence those 2 actually help metabolic rate?
I’d always assumed something more conductive than tissue would be more of an antenna for Emf leading to lower metabolism/health of that area

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I’d lean towards implants despite the added expense. I know a few people living with both options. Implants are a pain and they are expensive; but, they seem to result in a higher quality of life. A more natural day to day experience.

I believe that zirconium implants are more biocompatible than titanium implants. This is a delicate area and the nerves are connected right into critical areas.

Personally, I’d ensure that you are in good metabolic health, are healing as rapidly as possible and have suitable antibiotics on hand before any surgery in that area. An untreated infection in a nerve can be really painful and bad.
I'm definitely not in good metabolic health as I believe this is a culprit behind teeth issues. On the same token, I can't keep dealing with this amount of pain.

Durey

I'm 42 and have a similar dental history. A year ago, after over two decades of almost constant dental and other issues, I decided to have my root-canal-treated teeth extracted and ten ceramic implants put in their place. I didn't want to pull my healthy teeth as well and go for full dentures. I also wanted to avoid peri-implantitis and the kind of bone loss that often comes with titanium implants (I also don't want metal in my mouth). So far everything's fine, but I obviously don't have any long-term experience yet. But I don't regret going that route, and there is no perfect solution anyway if your own teeth are basically gone or irreparably destroyed. As far as I know, you need healthy bone for good osseointegration. Luckily (or thanks to Peat and my high calcium intake) my bone is very dense and all the implants were successful. I'm really happy with them and I'm relieved my dental nightmare is over, at least for the time being.

David PS

I do not have any special experience. I was told years ago that full dentures have only 10% of the biting power of natural teeth. This reference states it more like 20-25%.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Yeah, this is definitely a concern. I'm looking for the lowest toxicity.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Nothing more on this? This is one subject I really can't find much on in the archives.

AspiringSage

I think most people simply get boxed in by what their dentists and possibly oral surgeons are familiar with/are contracted as suppliers. Also by whatever their insurance will cover. Heath care and dental services are a very opaque markets.

I am eventually going to have to have one of my teeth replaced. I’ll likely seek out a zirconium post implant for the reasons I listed above.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Yeah, I think if most teeth are in pretty good condition, it's a good choice. Mine have just always been crooked, then started getting infected tooth by tooth. Now they hurt so bad everytime I eat. It's just one rabbit hole after another despite always taking extremely good care of them.

David PS