Dentist finds a bizarre case of fluorosis (age 22)

ursidae

Went to the dentist today
he found extensive dental fluorosis

I already had fluorosis by age 12 due to being given lots of sodium fluoride pills by my parents as a child. The fluorosis spots that I had were stable. A year ago I started developing more of the white spots all over my teeth despite having as low as possible intake of fluoride. There's so much of it I assumed it was tartar, but today the dentist confirmed it's not. They also said the enamel is smooth so it does not appear to be caused by demineralisation

The dentist thinks this is bizarre and he assumed it has to do with high fluoride intake as theres no way for me to have endogenous production

Only thing I can think of is I have/had some form of osteopenia and as my bones dissolved, the fluoride that was stored in them was released into my blood stream, secreted by my salivary glands and deposited into my teeth. I also ingest a lot of iodine while keeping my fluoride intake low which could lead to displacement of my body stores but I'd have thought this is eliminated in urine

any ideas?

Tim Lundeen

Bones store fluoride, and as they remodel (totally normal, that's the way they work), they release fluoride. It takes years to fully detox this, and have high-F bone replaced with normal/low-F bone. Tissues also store fluoride. You can do low-dose boron (3mg at night), low-dose iodine on the skin in the am, make sure you get enough copper, make sure you have good inorganic selenium in your diet or use low-dose SeSelenate/SeSelenite supplements. All of these help.

The more calcium you consume (along with vitamin D to absorb it of course) the less your bones will release stored calcium (and perhaps fluoride).

The less calcium you consume and absorb the higher your Parathyroid hormone rises which pulls minerals out of your bones to keep blood levels just right.

You may be surprised at how much calcium one needs in a day. I take 500mg calcium 2x a day and still need to drink lots of milk (and of course I take vitamin D)

So maybe taking more calcium+d would slow down this fluoride release from your bones and make it easier on your body to dispose of it properly

(my parathyroids do not work well due to a surgery so I have to ingest lots of calcium...sometimes I have to take more than my normal dose...like today, I feel like I can't get enough calcium. Some people need much more than I do because of total loss of parathyroids. The point is, the body is constantly taking calcium (and phosphorus and fluoride etc) out of the bones and it doesn't have to take too much if you are consuming enough calcium.

Peatress

In the UK there's been talk about adding fluoride to the water in areas that do not already have it. Knowing how trustworthy our governments are I suspect this has already happened.

You might need to supplement vitamin D if you are not doing so.

Last edited:
OP
U

ursidae

In the UK there's been talk about adding fluoride to the water in areas that do not already have it. Knowing how trustworthy our governments are I suspect this has already happened.

You might need to supplement vitamin D if you are not doing so.
Yeah I've seen that article, I checked the local water and it's stated online its not fluoridated but they could be lying

I take some vit D but not a ton. Problem with calcium is so many of the calcium rich foods and all supplements cause me digestive upset

Yeah I've seen that article, I checked the local water and it's not fluoridated but they could be lying

I take some vit D but not a ton. Problem with calcium is so many of the calcium rich foods and all supplements cause me digestive upset
why the digestive upset? lactose? you could take lactase enzyme, I used to until my thyroid meds "cured" me of lactose intolerance. I take calcium citrate powder/caps and it digests very well...the calcium carbonate just makes me constipated.

Vitamin D is so important, especially during winter. Most people are deficient! This is for so many things not just bones

OP
U

ursidae

why the digestive upset? lactose? you could take lactase enzyme, I used to until my thyroid meds "cured" me of lactose intolerance. I take calcium citrate powder/caps and it digests very well...the calcium carbonate just makes me constipated.

Vitamin D is so important, especially during winter. Most people are deficient! This is for so many things not just bones
The dairy doesn't cause digestive upset, causes acne

OP
U

ursidae

Yeah I've read about that and always have a bottle of taurine on hand, thanks for reminding me. Won't hurt to take it more consistently

Peatress

Yeah I've seen that article, I checked the local water and it's stated online its not fluoridated but they could be lying

Try this topically

iu

OP
U

ursidae

powdered eggshell, calcium sulfate, calcium hydroxyapatite (MCHA), calcium malate, some other ones I've lost count at this point

Plant foods with calcium like greens, broccoli but those probably aren't even bioavailable. I did drink nettle tea but that stuff lowers SHBG and I don't want it low as I have the pcos phenotype. I ate bones of small fish. Ate ground eggshells. Tried mixing it with lemon juice. bonemeal is risky because of high lead. I tried a supplement derived from it and it wrecked me

OP
U

ursidae

will be applying a hydroxyapatite paste to my teeth and keeping it on the surface that for an hour a day using retainers, let's see if it does anything

powdered eggshell, calcium sulfate, calcium hydroxyapatite (MCHA), calcium malate, some other ones I've lost count at this point

Plant foods with calcium like greens, broccoli but those probably aren't even bioavailable. I did drink nettle tea but that stuff lowers SHBG and I don't want it low as I have the pcos phenotype. I ate bones of small fish. Ate ground eggshells. Tried mixing it with lemon juice. bonemeal is risky because of high lead. I tried a supplement derived from it and it wrecked me
I have not tried those types of calcium supplements so I cannot comment on how they would feel. I use calcium citrate (I started with citracal petites, now other powders and caps) and occasionally calcium carbonate (usually in the form of tums if I am out of the house and need a quick boost of calcium). For me and many others calcium citrate is well tolerated and gently helps bowels move (or is at least neutral). Calcium carbonate is ok for my stomach but I can expect more difficult bowel movements the next day.

If I don't take vitamin D at least once a day I don't absorb the calcium and I can feel that for sure. I am constantly having to make sure my calcium levels are adequate or I will feel awful hypocalcemia symptoms. I say this because the calcium may sit in your gut (and maybe wreck you) if you aren't using enough vitamin D to absorb it. The citracal petites contain a little vitamin D, so that helps a bit.

OP
U

ursidae

I tried taking calcium malate (Thorne) with vitamin D and I got a horrific migraine. It happened more than once

I tried taking calcium malate (Thorne) with vitamin D and I got a horrific migraine. It happened more than once
hmmm. sounds like you are getting too much calcium too quickly. I used to have that problem with calcium and D before I had surgery that damaged my parathyroids.

maybe just take D and the calcium in your regular diet is sufficient then. and maybe slowly add calcium...like really slow

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals