Dental X ray, to wear a thyroid shield or not..

To wear a thyroid shield or not

• Yes

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Josh

Thanks for the replies on my previous post regarding teeth health and what to do. Just another question here RE X rays.

I've actually decided i'm going to get a dental x-ray, i think you've got to weigh up the pros and cons, at the end of the day i could discover cavities that if gone un treated would result in MUCH worse problems down the line, including getting more X rays. I'm 21 and i can't even remember when i had a dental x ray last, it could have been 5 years ago or it even could have been 7 years ago. I plan to get this one last set of dental X-rays and then sort out any exisiting problems i have and just look after my teeth and my health/gut health 10x better than ever before so there's no need again!

I’m in the UK and most dentists do not have them, i’m not too keen on having dental x rays purely because of the risk it poses on the thyroid.

This is what a radiographer told me before: “Wearing a shield for any examination can increase the dose to the tissues as the individual photons cannot escape the tissues as they usually would. In addition, the use of shields can create errors in the image by incorrectly redirecting the beam, thus potentially needing to repeat the image. All of this will increase dose. Dental xrays are the lowest of low dose examinations. If they allow you to safely have your teeth attended to I would have the xray. Dental problems are an expensive and painful experience if not attended to appropriately”

If i do get one i'd have to buy one online and i was thinking something like this: Amazon product ASIN B085CFJL2F
thanks all in advance!

rei

modern dental xray equipment is much safer than before, so i would think it poses little risk. Still, the explanation you presented for a shield being bad sounds completely bogus, and not how radiation works.

RealNeat

Red light bathe immediately after. Listen to my first podcast with Ray Peat where we go over dental xrays and red light.

mostlylurking

Thanks for the replies on my previous post regarding teeth health and what to do. Just another question here RE X rays.

I've actually decided i'm going to get a dental x-ray, i think you've got to weigh up the pros and cons, at the end of the day i could discover cavities that if gone un treated would result in MUCH worse problems down the line, including getting more X rays. I'm 21 and i can't even remember when i had a dental x ray last, it could have been 5 years ago or it even could have been 7 years ago. I plan to get this one last set of dental X-rays and then sort out any exisiting problems i have and just look after my teeth and my health/gut health 10x better than ever before so there's no need again!

I’m in the UK and most dentists do not have them, i’m not too keen on having dental x rays purely because of the risk it poses on the thyroid.

This is what a radiographer told me before: “Wearing a shield for any examination can increase the dose to the tissues as the individual photons cannot escape the tissues as they usually would. In addition, the use of shields can create errors in the image by incorrectly redirecting the beam, thus potentially needing to repeat the image. All of this will increase dose. Dental xrays are the lowest of low dose examinations. If they allow you to safely have your teeth attended to I would have the xray. Dental problems are an expensive and painful experience if not attended to appropriately”

If i do get one i'd have to buy one online and i was thinking something like this: Amazon product ASIN B085CFJL2F
thanks all in advance!
I avoid dental xrays like the plague. I'm reminded of Ray Peat's story of scientists xraying a monkey's arm and causing the monkey to go into estrus. The radiation from a dental xray affects the whole body; the brain, the eyes, the thyroid, your hormones. The red light idea afterwards is a really good idea. I think you have to get under the red light as soon as possible (within an hour?).

OP
J

Josh

I've done a lot of research on the dental xray and it seems the digital x ray that is used these days poses little risk. I think the benefits of having a dental x-ray outweighs the negatives in terms of finding out issues with the teeth way before they manifest into greater problems. I plan to get the dental x ray and fillings and then from here on out look after my teeth as best as i possibly can!

@RealNeat what minute is the x ray section at the podcast?

Comstock

An alternative that's getting popular is the CariVu. It uses near IR to get images of teeth, and has no X rays. I googled "Dentist CariVu [my state]" and found a handful of dentists that use it near me.

I'm 21 and i can't even remember when i had a dental x ray last, it could have been 5 years ago or it even could have been 7 years ago.

Well, I'm almost 29 and I've never had one. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to be getting any. Is that a normal thing, generally? No one ever offered me an X-Ray and all my teeth are fine, though some have become a bit more sensitive throughout the years.

I can say that I don't remember the last time I went to the dentist. I think it was 4 years ago or so, and all they did was clean off some of the plaque. I do think my dental health is above average since everyone around has tons of issues *knock on wood*. Must just be really good "teeth genetics" because otherwise I have plenty of other problems, hypothyroidism, hormonal issues, you name it... but my teeth have lived through it all unscathed, whereas people around me who I'd deem to be a lot healthier than myself, their teeth are no end of problems. It's odd really.

OP
J

Josh

Well, I'm almost 29 and I've never had one. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to be getting any. Is that a normal thing, generally? No one ever offered me an X-Ray and all my teeth are fine, though some have become a bit more sensitive throughout the years.

I can say that I don't remember the last time I went to the dentist. I think it was 4 years ago or so, and all they did was clean off some of the plaque. I do think my dental health is above average since everyone around has tons of issues *knock on wood*. Must just be really good "teeth genetics" because otherwise I have plenty of other problems, hypothyroidism, hormonal issues, you name it... but my teeth have lived through it all unscathed, whereas people around me who I'd deem to be a lot healthier than myself, their teeth are no end of problems. It's odd really.

Yeah it seems the x rays are really really common so your dentist must think your teeth look so good and it doesn't need the x ray, probably a good dentist too because i know a lot of dentists will just perform an x ray every 6 months to ever 2 years for some patients.

Health is weird aint it! I have many examples of things that not optimal with me and then other things that are, same with lots of family members around me, strange strange stange

RealNeat

the only link goes to your website? It does not show the video you reference.
Yes because I said podcast not video. There is a link on my website which says podcast. You can find it there or here if you search my RealNeat + Podcast. But I'll link it for convenience;

if you use the website however it'll also lead you to the time stamps which will make it easier to find things.

mostlylurking

Yes because I said podcast not video. There is a link on my website which says podcast. You can find it there or here if you search my RealNeat + Podcast. But I'll link it for convenience;

if you use the website however it'll also lead you to the time stamps which will make it easier to find things.
the link doesn't work but I did find the link on your site. thanks.