Dental Health Degrading Quickly

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion, its an interesting idea if I ever feel at my wits end I'll keep it in mind.

Yah the problem is, once you hit the really overweight point, almost nothing works, even when you do the right thing it takes some time and effort to turn things around at this point. I wouldn't be having all these problems if I abandoned some of my other strategies before I got to this point.

Unfortunately, when you're hypothyroid, your mental abilities are not functional, and as such, I was blindly following the advice of a coach -- it was this coach that made me gain 80+ lbs. I'm not gonna name names as I'm not a name and shame kind of person tho, because I blame myself too for blindly following it so the blame was shared 50/50. I was annoyed though that I kept saying "I shouldn't be gaining all this much weight" and he was just like no man just eat eat eat, eat high fat and high sugar, eat it all. Yeah, no.
I can relate. I gained about 75 pounds from my lowest weight and I’m only 5’2. I had never been overweight in my life let alone obese. I think what kept me from having worse breathing complications was diamox and bromocriptine probably kept me from developing type 2 diabetes. I feel much better back at a normal BMI but it was a very gradual process.

Vinny

I had cavities all my life, but last fife-six years, thanks God, they started to disappear. Not sure why, tho.
I think, Cirion, you just have to accept the worsened dental situation, make the fillings and go on the way you feel best, until you figured it out one day.
I`d agree, however, with @opson123 above, that consuming regularly acidic juices and sodas just can`t be good for the teeth whatsoever. And, this is the most simple possible explanation for your issue as well.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I can relate. I gained about 75 pounds from my lowest weight and I’m only 5’2. I had never been overweight in my life let alone obese. I think what kept me from having worse breathing complications was diamox and bromocriptine probably kept me from developing type 2 diabetes. I feel much better back at a normal BMI but it was a very gradual process.

How long did it take you to lose the 75 lb?

Yah it is a pain. However, I've learned a LOT along the way, that has been valuable.

It's starting to look like I will have to bite the bullet and take thyroid. that's what @ilikecats did and his approach is similar to mine, so I may have to, esp. with opson saying thyroid may be needed to avoid more cavities...

Where did he go anyway? his username isn't even showing up anymore. I guess he cured his hypo and left the forums? Can't blame him. There's a whole world out there to enjoy once you finally fix hypo... I might do the same once I get well, though I definitely plan to put together a lengthy "How I Got Well" thread before I peace out myself. But, that's getting ahead of myself. Lots of work to do still =P

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How long did it take you to lose the 75 lb?

Yah it is a pain. However, I've learned a LOT along the way, that has been valuable.

It's starting to look like I will have to bite the bullet and take thyroid. that's what @ilikecats did and his approach is similar to mine, so I may have to, esp. with opson saying thyroid may be needed to avoid more cavities...

Where did he go anyway? his username isn't even showing up anymore. I guess he cured his hypo and left the forums? Can't blame him. There's a whole world out there to enjoy once you finally fix hypo... I might do the same once I get well, though I definitely plan to put together a lengthy "How I Got Well" thread before I peace out myself. But, that's getting ahead of myself. Lots of work to do still =P
I’ve lost 55 pounds over 2.5 years. I never purposely tried to lose. I’ve averaged 1-2 pounds weight loss per month. It seems to come in fits and starts and I’ll hold steady for a few months and then lose again. I used thyroid during recovery as well. I’m BMI 23 down from 32. It doesn’t matter to me if I lose anymore. I feel strong and healthy at my current size. I felt fine up to BMI 27 really and didn’t develop problems until my BMI went above 30.
Have you considered doing Dr. Ellie’s dental routine?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

yeah BMI 23 is pretty healthy. You'd be fine if you didn't lose any more. I wish I was that low again lol.

How much thyroid do you use, which type (T3 only, T4 only, or T3/T4?), and which brand (tyronene, cynomel, tyromax,...) and # dosages a day?

i'll look into Ellie's routine. The problem is a lot of routines use flouride which I hate the idea of since its goitrogenic =/

Blossom

Forum Supporter
yeah BMI 23 is pretty healthy. You'd be fine if you didn't lose any more. I wish I was that low again lol.

How much thyroid do you use, which type (T3 only, T4 only, or T3/T4?), and which brand (tyronene, cynomel, tyromax,...) and # dosages a day?

i'll look into Ellie's routine. The problem is a lot of routines use flouride which I hate the idea of since its goitrogenic =/
I mostly used haidut’s formulas. I’m not on it anymore but I used t3 during the day and t3/t4 before bed. My dosage changed a lot I think because I was healing and everything fluctuated quite a bit.
The fluoride never bothered me personally and really strengthened my teeth but I understand some people want to avoid it. I just don’t like it in my drinking water.

Collden

There was another user here who had extremely fast tooth decay and he was also getting most of his calories from fruits/juices/sodas and not much protein, did not eat dairy. Also had not used fluoridated tooth paste for years.

If you can't increase your protein or eat dairy, try switching out most of your fruit juice and sugar calories for cooked starches and start using fluoridated tooth paste if you don't already.

I have found thyroid indispensable. It is short term. I’m almost done with it but it’s made a huge difference. I’m going to write about that in my thread about T3 Wilson’s protocol.

For teeth, fluoride TOPICALLY on teeth is okay. I think Dr. Peat has said so in the past. It isn’t systemic and it does strengthen the surfaces of the teeth.

Also, K2 MK4 and calcium is huge. I wonder if you are getting enough.

A rinse of calcium carbonate, a little l-arginine, is very helpful. Add methylene blue and you will probably find it won’t get worse and may get better.

Inaut

@Cirion jusy read your blurb about VoS’ AC+ caffeine protocol.

I was thinking about using carrots and caffeine in a similar manner. I like AC but find eating carrots to be much easier and the fibre sops up bile as it snakes it’s way trough.

Anybody have any thoughts on this approach? I’m sure it’s already been mentioned on th RPForum already but I have t had luck aearxhing the forum

thomas00

How much thyroid do you take? Is it T4 only, T3/T4, or T3 only?

Haidut suggested 20 drops MB with 1 liter of water I'm trying that as of tonight for mouthwash.

It varies....but since I started experimenting with it I don't do more than 5mcg twice a day. Usually less. T3 only. I can't do T4.

ExCarniv

Low protein, low Calcium, high sugar, lots of Coca cola.

I used to have lots of dental problems when I was vegan, went away with animal protein, +1g of calcium per day and VitK2

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Well, okay then. No need to read a book when you're already pretty sure of the content, right?

Literally on his wikipedia page.

Broda Otto Barnes - Wikipedia

Barnes developed and promoted a diagnostic test for thyroid function that became known as the "Barnes Basal Temperature Test". This test is performed by placing a thermometer in the armpit for 10 minutes immediately upon waking(On the 2nd-3rd day of menstruation for premenopausal women).[11] Barnes considered a measurement of 97.8 °F (36.6 °C) or below to be highly indicative of hypothyroidism, especially when hypothyroid symptoms are present. Barnes believed that a reading over 98.2 °F (36.8 °C) was indicative of hyperthyroidism, unless a patient had advanced arthritis, which he claimed would falsely elevate the temperature due to muscle contractions.[3]

97.8F measured orally is around 98.3-98.4F.

Thanks all for suggestions, I'm probably gonna have to play with thyroid now to some degree. Without digestion support, I can't tolerate animal proteins or starches, which is precisely why I went to a sugar based diet. However, maybe thyroid plus the caffine / AC protocol might fix some things.

Energizer

Thyroid and eggshell calcium for teeth. Cynoplus and cynomel are the best products that I'm aware of. Rinse with baking soda after acidic drinks. Nutrient dense foods like liver are especially helpful for keeping estrogen low. Keeping fiber up (carrots, cooked bamboo shoots, boiled white button mushrooms) will help keep estrogen down and help with weight loss and dental health.

In an experiment, rats were given a standard diet, to which had been added 1% Armour thyroid, that is, they were made extremely hyperthyroid. Since their diet was inadequate (later experiments showed that this amount of thyroid didn't cause growth retardation when liver was added to the diet) for their high metabolic rate, they died prematurely, in an apparently undernourished state, weighing much less than normal rats. Their bones, however, were larger and heavier than the bones of normal rats. A few incompetent medical "studies" have made people fear that "taking thyroid can cause osteoporosis." Recognizing that hypothyroid women are likely to have small bones and excessive cortisol production, the inadequate treatment of hypothyroidism with thyroxin (the thyroid-suppressive precursor material), is likely to be associated with relative osteoporosis, simply because it doesn't correct hypothyroidism. Similar misinterpretations have led people to see an association between "thyroid use" (generally thyroxin) and breast cancer--hypothyroid women are likely to have cancer, osteoporosis, obesity, etc., and are also likely to have been inadequately treated for hypothyroidism. T3, the active form of thyroid hormone, does contribute to bone formation. (For example, M. Alini, et al.)

Osteoporosis, harmful calcification, and nerve/muscle malfunctions

Last edited:

akgrrrl

I had a couple of major fillings done 1 month ago, and now I have to do FIVE more (granted, several were on the "watch list" for a couple of years, but still) and my mouth was probably the worst shape it has ever been in my life (they commented on it too) in terms of bleeding/aggravation of gums etc.

I don't know what could have done that in one month.

Yeah I eat high sugar but I've been doing that over a year now.

The only thing I can think of is the last two days I have been adding 3 tbsp of activated charcoal to try to start removing my endotoxin/bacteria. Maybe this backfired on me?[/QUOT

Cirion, you dont have to listen to me, but only know this...I have a full mouth of perfect teeth and gums brushing with baking soda and one drop of therapeutic grade cloves essential oil. My father lost all his teeth by age 40, was educated professional and access to good healthcare. I have beat him by 20 years my pearly perfect whites brush morning and night , more if your gums are getting diseased. Easy to change.

A.R

Sorry don't have the patience to read that article at the moment. Are you saying that vitamin A causes dental cavities? That is one other change I've made lately is lots of liverwurst which is very high in vitamin A.

I do get dry mouth a lot but it's mostly because I mouth breath at night due to sleep apnea / lack of retaining CO2... so yea the dry mouth could be a factor indeed, but don't know what to do because I've literally struggled with CO2 retention since I started peating like 2 years ago, never can seem to fix it. getting through the night IMO is *the* hardest part about optimal health, its by far the most stressful time of the day.

Have you been diagnosed with sleep apnea? If so, I would encourage you to get a cpap machine, it has helped me immensely.

Also, I can attest to the fact that low protein directly correlates with tooth decay. If you struggle to digest whole sources, try powdered essential amino acid complex, dissolved in milk and sugar. After taking this, I feel an immediate relief with my tooth ache.

redsun

Literally on his wikipedia page.

Broda Otto Barnes - Wikipedia

97.8F measured orally is around 98.3-98.4F.

Thanks all for suggestions, I'm probably gonna have to play with thyroid now to some degree. Without digestion support, I can't tolerate animal proteins or starches, which is precisely why I went to a sugar based diet. However, maybe thyroid plus the caffine / AC protocol might fix some things.

Honestly I am surprised you have not tried oral niacin for improving gastric acid production and digestion overall. Niacin is a must, this has been proven time and time again. I spent so much time on this forum and only recently did I give a try and I thoroughly regret not doing it sooner. Every other method you have been trying and are planning on trying for digestion is just cope as it does not get to the root cause. All the charcoal and vinegar stuff will likely even work better with niacin joining the party. Charlie has posted many threads providing info about niacin's vital role in being able to digest food.

There's much more you can read not just charlie's threads from this forum, elsewhere online, if you care to. If 250mg+/meal mega doses put you off that's fine, 40mg is more then enough as higher doses just lead to lots of niacin getting dumped(excreted via methylation) and extra flushing which in an of itself isnt bad if you want to reduce methyl but for digestion is not necessary.