Denise Minger Says "Hello Ray Peat"

Glassy

This is probably a repost, but seriously, this is an incredible article. More like, the longest most incredible review of Peat-friendly ideas run by doctors for decades in North America.

In Defense of Low Fat: A Call for Some Evolution of Thought (Part 1)

The Pritikin database is out there... Seriously, if you hop on a train or a plane or whatever, leave this article open.

So what's the reason, in 2018, for having more than, huh, 20g of saturated fats, maybe the same amount of MUFAs, and trace PUFAs?

Wow cool article - it’s been 2 days and I’m still chomping through it. I like the way she writes even if the intro was way too verbose.

I’ve not looked into the rice diet before but seems there’s some substance to it. Not sure I could do it without salt though and I’m not sure why it would be excluded. The thought of dropping protein out would make me nervous but I need to look into it more.

Thanks for sharing it!

Luk3

To prevent having liver/gallbladder problems from low fat, make sure you consume at least some fat as well as dietary acids (fruit) and protein that stimulates bile flow (glycine & taurine).
Will do, thanks. Initially, I’m thinking 10-15% fat on a 3000 calorie diet, so about 35-40g.

yerrag

I don't know whether that applies to grain fats or mono/dicotyledones that don't have a trunk nor a shell to filter away toxins. The topic on glyphosate in Oats is an interesting one to read.

I don't think it would apply to small plants or plants that don't have a sizeable trunk, or maybe it does, but it's just that there isn't much of a filter to fully filter the toxins out before it reaches the fruit, or the nut, or the seed.
That said here's my way of doing it. Just a suggestion:
- Breakfast: lemon, orange and cranberry freshly squeezed juice, skim yogurt, dextrose or buckwheat
- Lunch: basmati, shellfish, beet and carrot salad vinegar only dressing
- Workout: fruits
- Dinner: potatoes, extra lean beef or white fish, vegetables puréed

It's not time consuming, it's cheap, it's compatible with a social life... If you feel low on calories it's easy to add more fruits or sugar to the mix.

That's a nice plan. I may have to slowly get to that. I would need to start with more protein, or else I get hungry quickly.

OP
B

benaoao

I just realized I forgot the gelatin/collagen, of course... another Peaty option!

DDK

Will do, thanks. Initially, I’m thinking 10-15% fat on a 3000 calorie diet, so about 35-40g.

Sounds fine. To achieve benefits on low fat, fat should be 20% or under. So what you are aiming for sounds good.

tankasnowgod

This is probably a repost, but seriously, this is an incredible article. More like, the longest most incredible review of Peat-friendly ideas run by doctors for decades in North America.

In Defense of Low Fat: A Call for Some Evolution of Thought (Part 1)

The Pritikin database is out there... Seriously, if you hop on a train or a plane or whatever, leave this article open.

So what's the reason, in 2018, for having more than, huh, 20g of saturated fats, maybe the same amount of MUFAs, and trace PUFAs?

I don't know that you can really call them "Peat Friendly Ideas" There are four dietary interventions in the article, and one of them, the Swank diet that upped PUFAs, runs counter to one of Peat's central ideas.

Pritikin's Dietary intervention, as mentioned in the article, lasted only 26 days. Kempner's Rice Diet was always a temporary intervention diet (though it did likely result in PUFA and Iron reduction). I have only seen Peat mention Kempner once, in this article, and it wasn't in the most favorable of lights- Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity So, those would be two temporary dietary measures, which could indeed help with some issues Peat talks about, but I don't think he would necessarily recommend in the long term, or even generally in the short term.

The last diet discussed, the Morrison Trial, had confounders when compared to the control group (with weight loss being a big one), and while the intervention is in line with some of Peat's ideas, other parts, such as permitting breads and cereals, and restricting foods like liver and egg yolks, are counter to some of Peat's suggestions.

Last edited:

TNT

This is an awesome article! Does anyone know if there's a Part 2?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals