Dementia - How To Cure

dookie

I thought I'd start a post on dementia, to get some feedback on this important topic. Mainstream medicine considers dementia incurable. However, Peat and other people I have read on the internet provide encouraging anecdotes of people coming totally out of dementia, to lead normal and independent lives.

Now I know what the typical Peat recommended supplements for this condition are - mainly progesterone, niacinamide, pregnenolone and thyroid. I also know that it's been discussed sparsely on the forum.

What I'm interested to hear is; has anyone here seen or heard about someone improving or curing their dementia? What supplements did they use or what did they do?

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It's been reported that coconut oil works really well for dementia.

pranarupa

Practices such as yoga might be worth looking into, Alzheimer's seems to involve decreased expression of pgc1a (a promoter of mitochondrial biogenesis ), yoga develops type1 muscle fibres which express increased pgc1a, Inversions also stretch the heart by increasing venous return , the stretched heart releases natriuretic peptides which act to increase pgc1a promoting mitochondrial biogenesis.
A focus on long holds in postures requiring muscular activity and inversions would probably be helpful. This should help to develop type1 fibres with increased innervation which itself probably will have a trophic effect supporting the brain.
Short and medium chain fats also increase pgc1a and appear therapeutic in Alzheimer's.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Practices such as yoga might be worth looking into, Alzheimer's seems to involve decreased expression of pgc1a (a promoter of mitochondrial biogenesis ), yoga develops type1 muscle fibres which express increased pgc1a, Inversions also stretch the heart by increasing venous return , the stretched heart releases natriuretic peptides which act to increase pgc1a promoting mitochondrial biogenesis.
A focus on long holds in postures requiring muscular activity and inversions would probably be helpful. This should help to develop type1 fibres with increased innervation which itself probably will have a trophic effect supporting the brain.
Short and medium chain fats also increase pgc1a and appear therapeutic in Alzheimer's.
I'm wondering you or anyone here might have some suggestions for a senior citizen interested in beginning yoga who has no background in the practice? Perhaps something simple like a book or video that could be done from home?

pranarupa

It's difficult to make a recommendation without knowing more about the individual. A lot of yoga programs aimed at seniors are at best maintenance programs aiming to slow degeneration. I think if there was an emphasis on daily practice more could be accomplished.
The approach should seek to make definite advances at an appropriate pace. Direct contact with a teacher would probably be best.
Simple things like being attentive to posture and breath throughout the day whatever activity is involved would also be helpful.
Daily or at least 5or6 days a week practice is i think necessary to make real changes.
The daily practice doesn't have to be a full practice but some time spent on even simple things is necessary.

Forsythia

A friend of mine, in his early seventies, started having cognitive problems. He started taking B12 and in a very short time, felt himself again.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It's difficult to make a recommendation without knowing more about the individual. A lot of yoga programs aimed at seniors are at best maintenance programs aiming to slow degeneration. I think if there was an emphasis on daily practice more could be accomplished.
The approach should seek to make definite advances at an appropriate pace. Direct contact with a teacher would probably be best.
Simple things like being attentive to posture and breath throughout the day whatever activity is involved would also be helpful.
Daily or at least 5or6 days a week practice is i think necessary to make real changes.
The daily practice doesn't have to be a full practice but some time spent on even simple things is necessary.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I will have a look around locally for yoga instructors.

narouz

I mentioned this over in the Generative Energy (haidut/Roddy) thread about dementia...
Has anyone been following
LM11A-31....?
A new one on me.

I thought I'd start a post on dementia, to get some feedback on this important topic. Mainstream medicine considers dementia incurable. However, Peat and other people I have read on the internet provide encouraging anecdotes of people coming totally out of dementia, to lead normal and independent lives.

Now I know what the typical Peat recommended supplements for this condition are - mainly progesterone, niacinamide, pregnenolone and thyroid. I also know that it's been discussed sparsely on the forum.

What I'm interested to hear is; has anyone here seen or heard about someone improving or curing their dementia? What supplements did they use or what did they do?

I concur Dookie, has anyone seen or heard about someone improving or curing dementia following the RP WOE and supplements?

My MIL has been getting sicker and sicker the last few years, and I'm going to make a last-ditch effort to try to convince her husband to begin her on a RP Dementia Protocol. I believe she got it mostly from years of taking Miralax, and I understand it's the Propylene Glycol that causes it!!! I listened to Haidut on a radio broadcast (Generative Energy?) so I feel I have the supplement list.

For the record they are...
Aspirin
Methylene Blue
Niacinamide
Pregnenalone
DHEA
Progesterone
Vitamins A, D, E, K
How about...
Cascara Segrada?
NDT? (test temp and pulse)
Cyproheptadine?
Thiamine?

I completely know and agree that the diet needs to be individualized, but I was wondering if there are any specific recommendations for dementia/Alzheimer's? I love the idea of the Simple Diet...milk and orange juice, and RP states it is the most therapeutic WOE. In the interest of calories and variety I would probably add to the diet sea salt, cinnamon sugar, vanilla, coffee, eggs, cheeses, pineapple (she LOVES it!), marmalade and fig jam, Hagen Daz ice cream, homemade (by me) marshmallows, gummy bears, Werther's, occ Coke, occ Jell-o, potatoes w butter, rice, cooked spinach, broth, coconut oil, beef, liver and shrimp and oysters. I feel that her brain would greatly benefit from alot of glucose. Before I was a Peatarian I of course shunned sugar (Oh the horror!), and always noticed how she was seriously drawn to sugar, any time it was around (like parties). Of course now I realize that she was just obeying her body in an attempt to fix itself!

Can anyone add anything at all that may make a difference to help this beautiful woman, inside and out, to reclaim her rightful health and self?

Thank you!

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@Mmmaurshmallows, I have run across where people are healing their dementia with coconut oil.

coconut oil dementia - YouTube

Thanks Charlie! Good point. I will definitely push coconut oil in all cooking. I don't know if she would take it straight from the spoon. It's pretty intense.

Maybe someone has any diet/recipe suggestions to intake a therapeutic amount each day? Oops, I haven't watched the video yet...maybe they give ideas.:grin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

PakPik

Can anyone add anything at all that may make a difference to help this beautiful woman, inside and out, to reclaim her rightful health and self?

I believe that's a powerful stack of potential therapeutic things. May I suggest looking into l-theanine and Magnesium as well?
With pregnenolone it's worth checking that the person is tolerating it well, since some people seem to get neurological issues with it. With DHEA also have to be cautious, no more than tiny doses is usually recommended because it can easily convert into estrogen in stressed people.
Also very important something like Peat's carrot salad to absorb intestinal toxins, which as you know, are a real issue for neurological problems.

Environmental enrichment and enough exposure to good light are also very powerful for the brain.
My best hopes for her :)

I believe that's a powerful stack of potential therapeutic things. May I suggest looking into l-theanine and Magnesium as well?
With pregnenolone it's worth checking that the person is tolerating it well, since some people seem to get neurological issues with it. With DHEA also have to be cautious, no more than tiny doses is usually recommended because it can easily convert into estrogen in stressed people.
Also very important something like Peat's carrot salad to absorb intestinal toxins, which as you know, are a real issue for neurological problems.

Environmental enrichment and enough exposure to good light are also very powerful for the brain.
My best hopes for her :)

Such great words of wisdom PakPik! Thank you. For starters, they live in FL and we're in WI, so that's the bad news /good news. Bad news that I have very little ability to help her, but good news that she has ample sun exposure opportunities.

Thanks for all the great info on the supplement cautions...very important. And I forgot the important carrot salad...thanks! :)

I hope you had a Blessed Easter!

OP
D

dookie

I concur Dookie, has anyone seen or heard about someone improving or curing dementia following the RP WOE and supplements?

My MIL has been getting sicker and sicker the last few years, and I'm going to make a last-ditch effort to try to convince her husband to begin her on a RP Dementia Protocol. I believe she got it mostly from years of taking Miralax, and I understand it's the Propylene Glycol that causes it!!! I listened to Haidut on a radio broadcast (Generative Energy?) so I feel I have the supplement list.

For the record they are...
Aspirin
Methylene Blue
Niacinamide
Pregnenalone
DHEA
Progesterone
Vitamins A, D, E, K
How about...
Cascara Segrada?
NDT? (test temp and pulse)
Cyproheptadine?
Thiamine?

I completely know and agree that the diet needs to be individualized, but I was wondering if there are any specific recommendations for dementia/Alzheimer's? I love the idea of the Simple Diet...milk and orange juice, and RP states it is the most therapeutic WOE. In the interest of calories and variety I would probably add to the diet sea salt, cinnamon sugar, vanilla, coffee, eggs, cheeses, pineapple (she LOVES it!), marmalade and fig jam, Hagen Daz ice cream, homemade (by me) marshmallows, gummy bears, Werther's, occ Coke, occ Jell-o, potatoes w butter, rice, cooked spinach, broth, coconut oil, beef, liver and shrimp and oysters. I feel that her brain would greatly benefit from alot of glucose. Before I was a Peatarian I of course shunned sugar (Oh the horror!), and always noticed how she was seriously drawn to sugar, any time it was around (like parties). Of course now I realize that she was just obeying her body in an attempt to fix itself!

Thank you!

That's a long list of supplements, some very powerful things. I would try each thing by itself. Peat has mentioned recovery from dementia using progesterone alone, so trying a very low dose of that first would seem prudent.

Niacinamide could be the next thing tried, it seems to have some good studies supporting its use in dementia, but remember low doses. Something like 100 mg x 2 times per day could be sufficient, and lessens the risk of side-effects.

I just got this info...her temp and pulse. It was a daytime temp, probably after eating lunch. It was 98 and 70. I was kinda hoping/expectating them to be lower. Mine sure are! I will have them take them both again first thing in the morning. Are there any other tests/measurements I could have family do to her?

This kinda shakes my confidence as far as having alot of evidence I need to convince her husband and other family members to begin her Peating.

Thoughts from any of you wonderful, helpful, and knowledgeable Peatys out there???
:kisscheek

PakPik

It was a daytime temp, probably after eating lunch. It was 98 and 70. I was kinda hoping/expectating them to be lower. Mine sure are! I will have them take them both again first thing in the morning. Are there any other tests/measurements I could have family do to her?

Hello Maur, don't let those readings shake your confidence :) Here is why:

High temp/high pulse don't necessarily imply good metabolism, with bad metabolism a person can be suffering from pathological "good"temp/pulse (we had a very interesting discussion in this thread Uncoupling Mice Brain Mitochondria Extends Lifespan). Peat's quotes:

"The basal metabolic rate, which is mainly governed by thyroid, roughly corresponds to the average body temperature. However, in hypothyroidism, there is an adaptive increase in the activity of the sympathetic nervous system, producing more adrenalin, which helps to maintain body temperature by causing vasoconstriction in the skin."

"While the early morning body temperature will sometimes be low in hypothyroidism, I have found many exceptions to this. In protein deficiency, sodium deficiency, in menopause with flushing symptoms, and in both phases of the manic depression cycle, and in some schizophrenics, the morning temperature is high, corresponding to very high levels of adrenalin and cortisol. Taking the temperature before and after breakfast will show a reduction of temperature, the opposite of what occurs in simple hypothyroidism, because raising the blood sugar permits the adrenalin and cortisol to fall."

So old people can have problems with heat regulation, and sometimes have normal temps pulse yet hypothyroid. Taking temp/pulse first thing before getting out of bed and then taking them say 30 mins after breakfast would be more informative.

Peat also says that easiness to fall asleep and sleep quality, the ability for nerves to relax, lack of cramps and tension is very telling about metabolic rate, in conjunction with temps and pulse. (Some people even test the Achilles tendon reflex, but I've never done that. Peat likes that test Assessment of the Thyroid: Achilles Tendon Reflex (Woltman’s Sign) – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)).

Perhaps her husband can listen to some easy going, informative interview on thyroid and metabolism?

Hope this helps.
I hope you had a Blessed Easter!
Thank you!!

My best hopes for her

Something I've been wondering and couldn't find on the forum...red light v sunlight therapy. Are they interchangeable...the same? I will do a search on RP's site, but if you have time PakPik and something you want to add...great!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals