Dementia Breakthrough - Alzheimer Disease Linked To Endotoxin And Iron

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nice to see medicine may be finally making a 180-degree turn but I would not hold my breath for it to become mainstream treatment any time soon. Given the abilities of aspirin to chelate iron directly from the brain, this may be one of the reasons for its beneficial effects on Alzheimer's disease I posted about a few months ago.

Dementia breakthrough? Scientists identify one cause sparking hope for new treatments
"...One of the editorials authors is Professor Douglas Kell, of Manchester University's School of Chemistry, who says supposedly sterile red blood cells were seen to contain dormant microbes, which also has implications for blood transfusions. He said: "We are saying there is incontrovertible evidence that Alzheimer's Disease has a dormant microbial component, and that this can be woken up by iron dysregulation. "Removing this iron will slow down or prevent cognitive degeneration - we can't keep ignoring all of the evidence." Professor Resia Pretorius, of the University of Pretoria in South Africa, who also worked on the editorial, said "The microbial presence in blood may also play a fundamental role as causative agent of systemic inflammation, which is a characteristic of Alzheimer's disease - particularly, the bacterial cell wall component and endotoxin, lipopolysaccharide."

Lucas

Is there an ideal ferritin level to go for? Mine is 230 and all my grandfathers had Alzheimer, and my mother is become to have some symptoms.

RMH

Most recommendations I've seen over the years have ranged from 50-100ng/ml. I personally try to keep mine around 75 ng/ml by donating blood about twice a year.

Lucas

My ferritin was 313 some months ago. Starting taking IP6 daily and my ferritin lowered to 230 in one month. Now the goal is to reach the 50-100 level.

Since Alzheimer is strong in my family, the lower iron will be good to me.

Maybe the high ferritin is the reason why I don’t respond to thyroid, getting really fast hyper blood levels of t4 and t3 whit still hyper symptoms.

I trying to find a study that linked high iron to cause hypothyroidism, but only find high ferritin whit hyperthyroidism and low iron to hypo, not high iron to cause hypo.

hang loose

Nice find! :):

I think we can add minocycline to those substances "anti-Alzheimer". Peat has mentioned the therapeutic effects of minocycline in Alzheimer disease a couple of times. Today I happened to read the interview "Current Trends in Nitric Oxide, KMUD, 2015" Current Trends in Nitric Oxide, KMUD, 2015
HD: I wanted to ask you the question about the relationship between antibiotics (and not the latest and greatest antibiotics), specifically minocycline. I saw some articles on PubMed againdemonstrating that it lowered the inducible form of nitric oxideand the cytokines that are pro-inflammatory. What do you think about minocycline?

RP: For several years it's been recognized as a helpful factor for Alzheimer's disease and other brain problems.

HD: Is that just because it's blocking the endotoxinproduction?

RP: It blocks the nitric oxide production.

Minocycline's powerful iron-chelating ability is probably another important factor IMO.

Makrosky

@haidut can endotoxin be produced in anyother place than the digestive system or an infected root canal? Can there be latent asymptomatic infections anywhere else like the brain, the lungs, whatever ?

David PS

Don't go too low when chelating and giving blood.

"Iron deficiency and iron excess damage mitochondria and mitochondrial DNA in rats".
http://www.pnas.org/content/99/4/2264.full.pdf

Although the study was done on rats, the author does relate the paper to humans.

Here is a color version of Figure 3 from the article.

Attachments

• Ames-iron.pdf
    244 KB · Views: 72
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut can endotoxin be produced in anyother place than the digestive system or an infected root canal? Can there be latent asymptomatic infections anywhere else like the brain, the lungs, whatever ?

It can be produced anywhere as long as there is sufficient bacterial presence. Basically, any place infected enough to produce an abscess can be a source of endotoxin.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Probe of Alzheimer’s Follows Paths of Infection

Here a group of scientists have support the "pathogen" angle of the AD pathogenesis. They speculate that brain infection always preceeds onset of AD and amyloid-plaques are actualy similar to immune-cells and represent n immune reaction.

So, what is that pathogen then? I doubt it is bacterial or fungal as even a low grade infection of that kind in the brain will kill pretty quickly. If it is viral, then it does not advance the understanding much as we all have a myriad of "viruses" like JCV, herpes, EBV, etc that stay in the brain for decades and are not much threat unless the person is immunosuppressed. If the person is immunosuppressed then these viruses kill as well. This controlled rate of disease progression seems rather well calculated and reminiscent of other metabolic conditions like diabetes for it to be of infections origin. They do say AD is likely an autoimmune condition just like diabetes I. But I have not seen any solid theories of diabetes I being caused by infection. I do know of quite a few that show it can be caused by intense stress or chemicals that increase NO levels. In fact, inducing diabetes in animal models is done on a rather routine basis with such chemicals, so I wonder why the same link has not been investigated in humans.
And last but not least - if it is indeed of infection origin then why does aspirin help so much?
Salicylate For Alzheimers (Aspirin)

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals