Delirium May Be An Inflammatory Reaction/condition

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study was done on old surgical patients but I don't see why it would not apply to everybody. Post-surgical delirium is a very big issue in surgical wards these days and there are no reliable ways to prevent/treat it. This study found that elevated CRP is the best predictor of delirium occurrence, and given the recent posts about magnesium from @Amazoniac it made me think about magnesium deficiency as it is the most common reason for elevated CRP. And given that magnesium status/retention is largely determined by thyroid function, this is yet another validation of Ray's advice to take T3 if one is to have surgery.

Blood Analyses May Predict Risk of Delirium in Older Surgical Patients

"...High levels of a protein called C-reactive protein (CRP), which has been linked to inflammation and infection, emerged from an analysis of more than 100 proteins as being strongly linked to delirium. Compared with patients without delirium, those with delirium had significantly higher plasma CRP levels at PREOP, PACU, and POD2, but not at PO1MO. Although the relationship between CRP and delirium has been previously reported, this study is the first to document and analyze CRP levels before onset of symptoms."

scarlettsmum

That's what I feel is happening to me right now, being the hypochondriac that I am.:) Just ordered some magnesium just in case, since I already know to be hypothyroid.

DaveFoster

Very interesting; of course people with mental illness tend to develop other metabolic disorders (particularly the connection between Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis and diabetes).

Do you think oral magnesium (say carbonate) is merited? Most people have great results with topical.

Mjhl85

Very interesting; of course people with mental illness tend to develop other metabolic disorders (particularly the connection between Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis and diabetes).

Do you think oral magnesium (say carbonate) is merited? Most people have great results with topical.
It can be tried. Thing is I don't see these things as so black and white, just from personal experience.
I've specifically had a relative who had back surgery a couple of years ago. For over a year now, she is taking
progesterone with magnesium glycinate and bicarbonate plus active b6 along with thyroid. Her ESR and CRP
go from elevated to lowered back to elevated, as if it didn't matter if she was taking these things. It seems the
individual and the genes we're dealing with really play an integral role.

Simonsays

That's what I feel is happening to me right now, being the hypochondriac that I am.:) Just ordered some magnesium just in case, since I already know to be hypothyroid.
:( I feel your pain. Just because you're a hypochondriac doesnt mean your not ill!:D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals