Delaying/blocking Tryptophan Absorption In Gut

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
milk_lover said:
post 116451
haidut said:
post 115924 I think he said it in the context of food and dangerous additives. Whole protein is better assimilated than isolated aminos, UNLESS you have a digestive problem and cannot really break down and digest protein. Also, he said that isolated amino acids are almost certain to contain some contaminiants with unknown effects. However, when someone asked him about using BCAA to lower brain serotonin he said it is a valid approach and suggested combining gelatin and BCAA for a stronger effect.
Haidut, those haters are gonna continue hating. You've helped me and many people here. We're extremely grateful to you. So what if you sell supplements? They are priced reasonably and money goes to you is better than going to greedy corporate owners.

Speaking of BCAA's, I found many commercial products but all of them have soy oil and soy lecithin, and that putts me off. Not to mention they have to be consumed with food protein or tyrosine so as not to reduce dopamine levels. So as a good replacement candidate for BCAA's, can l-theanine be used freely without balance of other amino acids? The last three days when I drink triple espresso (~225g of caffeine) with 200mg of l-theanine, I become relaxed and very social.

I think theanine is a good option as it does not affect the LNAA balance. The studies show that 600mg is almost as potent as 1,200mg for reducing serotonin and increasing dopamine. However, some people say they develop tolerance to the high doses so you may need to stop every 3-4 weeks and have a week of "rest" or use BCAA/tyrosine combo.
Btw, have you seen this vendor? Their amino acid products have no additives. Disclaimer: I do not endorse them in any way and do not get royalties from them.
http://www.nutrabio.com/category/bcaa/

Last edited by a moderator:

milk_lover

haidut said:
post 116752
milk_lover said:
post 116451
haidut said:
post 115924 I think he said it in the context of food and dangerous additives. Whole protein is better assimilated than isolated aminos, UNLESS you have a digestive problem and cannot really break down and digest protein. Also, he said that isolated amino acids are almost certain to contain some contaminiants with unknown effects. However, when someone asked him about using BCAA to lower brain serotonin he said it is a valid approach and suggested combining gelatin and BCAA for a stronger effect.
Haidut, those haters are gonna continue hating. You've helped me and many people here. We're extremely grateful to you. So what if you sell supplements? They are priced reasonably and money goes to you is better than going to greedy corporate owners.

Speaking of BCAA's, I found many commercial products but all of them have soy oil and soy lecithin, and that putts me off. Not to mention they have to be consumed with food protein or tyrosine so as not to reduce dopamine levels. So as a good replacement candidate for BCAA's, can l-theanine be used freely without balance of other amino acids? The last three days when I drink triple espresso (~225mg of caffeine) with 200mg of l-theanine, I become relaxed and very social. Bold was edited.

I think theanine is a good option as it does not affect the LNAA balance. The studies show that 600mg is almost as potent as 1,200mg for reducing serotonin and increasing dopamine. However, some people say they develop tolerance to the high doses so you may need to stop every 3-4 weeks and have a week of "rest" or use BCAA/tyrosine combo.
Btw, have you seen this vendor? Their amino acid products have no additives. Disclaimer: I do not endorse them in any way and do not get royalties from them.
Thank you haidut for the useful info! Someday I will experiment with the BCAA/tyrosine combo and I'll report back here. Does taurine also decrease serotonin in the brain and subsequently decrease prolactin?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
milk_lover said:
post 117021
haidut said:
post 116752
milk_lover said:
post 116451
haidut said:

Speaking of BCAA's, I found many commercial products but all of them have soy oil and soy lecithin, and that putts me off. Not to mention they have to be consumed with food protein or tyrosine so as not to reduce dopamine levels. So as a good replacement candidate for BCAA's, can l-theanine be used freely without balance of other amino acids? The last three days when I drink triple espresso (~225mg of caffeine) with 200mg of l-theanine, I become relaxed and very social. Bold was edited.

Thank you haidut for the useful info! Someday I will experiment with the BCAA/tyrosine combo and I'll report back here. Does taurine also decrease serotonin in the brain and subsequently decrease prolactin?

Most GABA agonists tend to lower serotonin. The data on taurine specifically is mixed but given that it increases testosterone I doubt it is serotonergic.

milk_lover

haidut said:
post 117048
milk_lover said:
post 117021
haidut said:
post 116752
milk_lover said:
post 116451
haidut said:

Most GABA agonists tend to lower serotonin. The data on taurine specifically is mixed but given that it increases testosterone I doubt it is serotonergic.
I remember in one of your Generative Energy podcasts you mentioned bile acid produced from ingesting high fat could increase serotonin in the gut. Taurine increases bile acid secretion in the liver. So could this be the reason the data on taurine is mixed regarding serotonin? It may increase it in the gut, but decrease it in the brain, leading to its dopamine/testosterone increase? kinda opposite to vitamin D supplementation.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
milk_lover said:
post 117444
haidut said:
post 117048
milk_lover said:
post 117021
haidut said:
post 116752
milk_lover said:
post 116451
haidut said:

I remember in one of your Generative Energy podcasts you mentioned bile acid produced from ingesting high fat could increase serotonin in the gut. Taurine increases bile acid secretion in the liver. So could this be the reason the data on taurine is mixed regarding serotonin? It may increase it in the gut, but decrease it in the brain, leading to its dopamine/testosterone increase? kinda opposite to vitamin D supplementation.

Good point. Bile acids tend to be serotonergic due to their property of irritating the colon. I guess if someone takes a lot of taurine (10g+) they may get the gut irritation and thus gut serotonin. Btw, taurine is also an anti-depressant, which is another hint that it is probably not serotonergic at least in the brain.

nostalgic

The studies noticed delay of absorption but could not determine if there was also a block even though they thought it is likely. Aspirin taken with a meal will actually block a significant portion of the ingested tryptophan from absorption. I posted another thread on that so it should be easy to find.
Are you sure Aspirin blocks the absorption and not just delays it?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Are you sure Aspirin blocks the absorption and not just delays it?

Yes, I think the studies showed inhibition of absorption with aspirin and not just delay. Unless you have other information, in which case please share.

nostalgic

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

nostalgic

This study is not about absorption of tryptophan from food, it is about effects of aspirin on absorbed tryptophan already present in the blood.
Yeah. So if I understand correctly, already absorbed tryptophan will be degraded slower. What I meant was that maybe it reduces the absorption of the amino acid but also reduces the degradation of it? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Koveras

I think I found our why it didn't work that well for me:

Aspirin down‐regulates tryptophan degradation in stimulated human peripheral blood mononuclear cells in vitro

I could be mistaking the meaning of the study as well, my brain is semi disabled.

This study is not about absorption of tryptophan from food, it is about effects of aspirin on absorbed tryptophan already present in the blood.

Isn't that study saying that aspirin maintains/increases tryptophan by preventing it's conversion into inflammatory products (through the kynurenine pathway)? Quinolinic acid being the big offender there.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Tryptophan is only about 1% per unit of weight of casein protein. Some places listed as high as 1.2% but have not seen much more than that. Beef, lamb, goat, chicken protein has about the same amount of tryptophan (~1%) but they are much higher in phosphates, which is bad, and also lower in calcium so the tryptophan will get converted to serotonin and not to niacin.
I think I posted in one of my other threads on BCAA and carbs, that having as little as 2% of protein in any given meal will block the serotonin increases in the brain from that meal. So, if you look at milk, I think it passes the 2% test, so you should be able to delay tryptophan absorption with ~6g of casein.
"2% of protein in any given meal"
Haidut,
Does this mean "2% of BCAA protein in any given meal?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals