Delaying/blocking Tryptophan Absorption In Gut

Vinero

Lowering serotonin by using BCAA and phenylalanine has only done good things for my mood, energy and libido. When I stop taking those amino acids I don't feel worse, but when I return to them I always get the benefits right away (within a few hours). Usually the first thing I notice after ingesting the BCAA combo is improved vision/clearheadedness. This is a side effect I get with most serotonin lowering substances. It feels like serotonin is a cloud which covers your eyes and mental state. When you lower the serotonin the cloud goes away and you can actually see better. I think people who use the argument that you don't want to lower serotonin because it creates an unhealthy "imbalance" are the same kind of people who say that estrogen is healthy and needed for a "balanced hormonal profile".

Giraffe

haidut said:
post 115151
What establishment am I a part of?? If you found an approach that works for you then I don't see why there is a need for any argument about serotonin, or any other biomarker for that matter. But if you are still searching, then I have a question for you - what is the optimal level of serotonin? I'd prefer if you include references in your response.
Nicholas got upset because I merged two of his topics and removed a double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoolTweetPete

Vinero said:
post 115215 Lowering serotonin by using BCAA and phenylalanine has only done good things for my mood, energy and libido. When I stop taking those amino acids I don't feel worse, but when I return to them I always get the benefits right away (within a few hours). Usually the first thing I notice after ingesting the BCAA combo is improved vision/clearheadedness. This is a side effect I get with most serotonin lowering substances. It feels like serotonin is a cloud which covers your eyes and mental state. When you lower the serotonin the cloud goes away and you can actually see better. I think people who use the argument that you don't want to lower serotonin because it creates an unhealthy "imbalance" are the same kind of people who say that estrogen is healthy and needed for a "balanced hormonal profile".

:1

Don't know why people feel the need to get defensive of science when Haidut literally just posts studies and his interpretation of the data. If folks have other opinions, I don't see what's stopping them from providing their interpretation of the studies rather than making abstract blanket statements about subjective behaviors on the forum.

Thanks for your response on beta-alanine, Haidut. I will look for a good source of phenylalanine. :hattip

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
CoolTweetPete said:
post 115299 Don't know why people feel the need to get defensive of science when Haidut literally just posts studies and his interpretation of the data. If folks have other opinions, I don't see what's stopping them from providing their interpretation of the studies rather than making blanket statements about subjective behaviors on the forum.
:1 :hattip

Last edited:

Nicholas

Giraffe said:
post 115291 Nicholas got upset because I merged two of his topics and removed a double post.

right, are you currently going through the thousands of posts on this forum and merging all topics which are similar? .. ..

Nicholas

CoolTweetPete said:
post 115299
Vinero said:
post 115215 Lowering serotonin by using BCAA and phenylalanine has only done good things for my mood, energy and libido. When I stop taking those amino acids I don't feel worse, but when I return to them I always get the benefits right away (within a few hours). Usually the first thing I notice after ingesting the BCAA combo is improved vision/clearheadedness. This is a side effect I get with most serotonin lowering substances. It feels like serotonin is a cloud which covers your eyes and mental state. When you lower the serotonin the cloud goes away and you can actually see better. I think people who use the argument that you don't want to lower serotonin because it creates an unhealthy "imbalance" are the same kind of people who say that estrogen is healthy and needed for a "balanced hormonal profile".

:1

Don't know why people feel the need to get defensive of science when Haidut literally just posts studies and his interpretation of the data. If folks have other opinions, I don't see what's stopping them from providing their interpretation of the studies rather than making abstract blanket statements about subjective behaviors on the forum.

Thanks for your response on beta-alanine, Haidut. I will look for a good source of phenylalanine. :hattip

Because Haidut's interpretations and recommendations are over and over again unscientific. That's neither abstract nor subjective. It's a blanket statement because it's a repetitive theme. Haidut's trend is to make posts with multiple studies about some kind of hormone which he believes needs to be lowered or raised or some vitamin that will contribute to some metabolic process and then proceeds to make recommendations about what someone should take to lower this or improve that. Honestly, the only reason i am now making a deal out of this is because of the recent behavior by some of the moderators towards certain members who they believed to be making very unscientific and misleading claims. Well, if the goal around here is to protect science and weed out the misinformation then it is perfectly valid to challenge the false science that is implicit in the delivery of Haidut's posts. Just because you can curate studies does not mean you are serving science... If anyone is still confused as to why Haidut's posts would be unscientific, you can read my thread "Our first love" all the way through (for the big picture of the true biochemistry of the body) or if you understand better with biochemical lingo and diagrams you can watch Dr. Schwarzbein's lecture "Survival of the Smartest" on youtube where she expresses the same bigger picture, only in more detail. I appreciate all of the studies that Haidut brings to the table (if not the intent of the posts) and his supplement line. I believe that all of these things can be used judiciously.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nicholas said:
post 115376
Giraffe said:
post 115291 Nicholas got upset because I merged two of his topics and removed a double post.

right, are you currently going through the thousands of posts on this forum and merging all topics which are similar? .. ..
As a matter of fact, yes she is. Giraffe is doing an incredible amount of work to help organize the forum. Her intentions are to build up, edify, not break down and be a sower of discord.

Last edited:

sm1693

Haidut is undoubtedly part of the establishment here, and by way of being financially vested in selling supplements, he is committed to his positions and cannot change course easily. The establishment here does suppress new views, probably incidentally, as we all do in the face of information and theories we view as incorrect.

The thing about RP is that he has constructed a theoretical house-of-cards. I believe RP is correct 97% of the time, but it is a house-of-cards nonetheless. The problem with people like Haidut, Edward, VoS (and others, like myself), is that we have constructed our own loose secondary theories on top of RP's loose theories.

These secondary theories cannot immediately be accepted and must be tested hard by the people on this forum. Don't outsource your health to Haidut or anyone else.

PS. I kind of agree with Nic on serotonin, and the reason is also what WP has come up with in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8847

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
sm1693 said:
post 115749 Haidut is undoubtedly part of the establishment here, and by way of being financially vested in selling supplements, he is committed to his positions and cannot change course easily. The establishment here does suppress new views, probably incidentally, as we all do in the face of information and theories we view as incorrect.

The thing about RP is that he has constructed a theoretical house-of-cards. I believe RP is correct 97% of the time, but it is a house-of-cards nonetheless. The problem with people like Haidut, Edward, VoS (and others, like myself), is that we have constructed our own loose secondary theories on top of RP's loose theories.

These secondary theories cannot immediately be accepted and must be tested hard by the people on this forum. Don't outsource your health to Haidut or anyone else.

PS. I kind of agree with Nic on serotonin, and the reason is also what WP has come up with in this thread: https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... =10&t=8847

Wow, another establishment and financial claim. So, why did I post over 2,000 threads (all of which are on scientific studies) years BEFORE starting to sell supplements? Surely, it must be because I had a grand plan to dupe people for years in preparation of what I was about to stat selling. Can you go through my posts and find the ones that conditioned people to buying my stuff? If you had spent the time to go through my posts, you would have seen that in the vast majority of cases I simply QUOTE directly from the studies. No personal opinion given. Finally, I always urge people to work with their doctor and not defer to me or anybody else for that matter.
Where exactly some people see an establishment cabal here is beyond me...but everybody is free to think what they want.

Gl;itch.e

haidut said:
post 115759
Wow, another establishment and financial claim. So, why did I post over 2,000 threads (all of which are on scientific studies) years BEFORE starting to sell supplements? Surely, it must be because I had a grand plan to dupe people for years in preparation of what I was about to stat selling. Can you go through my posts and find the ones that conditioned people to buying my stuff? If you had spent the time to go through my posts, you would have seen that in the vast majority of cases I simply QUOTE directly from the studies. No personal opinion given. Finally, I always urge people to work with their doctor and not defer to me or anybody else for that matter.
Where exactly some people see an establishment cabal here is beyond me...but everybody is free to think what they want.
The amount of great info you've given out can't be possibly renumerated by buying a few supplements.

Thanks for another great year of studies, posts and interactions. Loved the interviews with Danny Roddy too.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Gl;itch.e said:
post 115768
haidut said:
post 115759
The amount of great info you've given out can't be possibly renumerated by buying a few supplements.

Thanks for another great year of studies, posts and interactions. Loved the interviews with Danny Roddy too.

Thank you!
:hattip

T

tca300

I appreciate very much all of the hard work Haidut puts into research and putting together quality supplements. If putting the information to use that he talks about only results in negative responses AND his supplements make you feel like garbage then perhaps you could conclude he's wrong. I personally can't speak for others but I have ONLY responded favourably to things I've heard from him AND his supplements. Thanks Haidut for ALL your hard work, AND your pure supplements.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tca300 said:
post 115812 I appreciate very much all of the hard work Haidut puts into research and putting together quality supplements. If putting the information to use that he talks about only results in negative responses AND his supplements make you feel like garbage then perhaps you could conclude he's wrong. I personally can't speak for others but I have ONLY responded favourably to things I've heard from him AND his supplements. Thanks Haidut for ALL your hard work, AND your pure supplements.

Thank you very much, times two!

jaa

I just want to echo the above gratitude for haidut. His posts and guest appearances on Danny Roddy's Generative Energy podcast have helped me understand Peat's work in a way I don't think I would have been able to otherwise given the amount of time I'm willing to put into it. I've travelled down a bunch of paths experimenting with my personal health thanks to information provided by haidut, and many of those paths have been fruitful. I can say without a doubt I am enjoying better health because of haidut and many of his supplements and I am looking forward to reaching peaks I thought I was long past years ago given the rate of improvement in my health I am currently experiencing. Thank you haidut!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
jaa said:
post 115828 I just want to echo the above gratitude for haidut. His posts and guest appearances on Danny Roddy's Generative Energy podcast have helped me understand Peat's work in a way I don't think I would have been able to otherwise given the amount of time I'm willing to put into it. I've travelled down a bunch of paths experimenting with my personal health thanks to information provided by haidut, and many of those paths have been fruitful. I can say without a doubt I am enjoying better health because of haidut and many of his supplements and I am looking forward to reaching peaks I thought I was long past years ago given the rate of improvement in my health I am currently experiencing. Thank you haidut!

Parsifal

Thanks haidut for your wonderful work! Don't feel helpless because of the 1 or 2 haters that will always be here!

Could you clarify why Ray thinks that protein powders and isolated amino acids are bad? I would like to try dopaminergic and anti-serotoninergic amino acids in the future but I'm a bit reticent because of these.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 115835 Thanks haidut for your wonderful work! Don't feel helpless because of the 1 or 2 haters that will always be here!

Could you clarify why Ray thinks that protein powders and isolated amino acids are bad? I would like to try dopaminergic and anti-serotoninergic amino acids in the future but I'm a bit reticent because of these.

I think he said it in the context of food and dangerous additives. Whole protein is better assimilated than isolated aminos, UNLESS you have a digestive problem and cannot really break down and digest protein. Also, he said that isolated amino acids are almost certain to contain some contaminiants with unknown effects. However, when someone asked him about using BCAA to lower brain serotonin he said it is a valid approach and suggested combining gelatin and BCAA for a stronger effect.

milk_lover

haidut said:
post 115924 I think he said it in the context of food and dangerous additives. Whole protein is better assimilated than isolated aminos, UNLESS you have a digestive problem and cannot really break down and digest protein. Also, he said that isolated amino acids are almost certain to contain some contaminiants with unknown effects. However, when someone asked him about using BCAA to lower brain serotonin he said it is a valid approach and suggested combining gelatin and BCAA for a stronger effect.
Haidut, those haters are gonna continue hating. You've helped me and many people here. We're extremely grateful to you. So what if you sell supplements? They are priced reasonably and money goes to you is better than going to greedy corporate owners.

Speaking of BCAA's, I found many commercial products but all of them have soy oil and soy lecithin, and that putts me off. Not to mention they have to be consumed with food protein or tyrosine so as not to reduce dopamine levels. So as a good replacement candidate for BCAA's, can l-theanine be used freely without balance of other amino acids? The last three days when I drink triple espresso (~225g of caffeine) with 200mg of l-theanine, I become relaxed and very social.

But what would Ray Peat say about a handcrafted product with aminoacids from Sigma-Aldrich :ss2

Nicholas

hi Haidut - i just wanted to say that i don't and have never took issue with you selling supplements or even this forum promoting your supplements. none of my posts even suggest this. i don't use any of them currently but i have purchased Energin, Melanon, Oxidal, and Estroban in the past. actually, i do use Estroban occasionally when i can tell i'm low in vit. A. I appreciate that i can get it in a balanced dose.