Degraded Sperm Quality And Testicular Function In Marijuana Users

Discussion in 'Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs' started by John Estrada, May 10, 2019.

1. John Estrada

John Estrada Member

Thought this was worth sharing. Any thoughts? "Men who smoked marijuana had significantly degraded sperm quality and testicular function, worse than tobacco users and comparable to men with diagnosed infertility, according to a long-term Brazilian study"

Studies: Weed Degrades Sperm, Spurs LUTS

2. lampofred

lampofred Member

Dr. Peat has said marijuana is estrogenic and accentuates the effects of stored PUFA/prostaglandins.

3. burtlancast

burtlancast Member

One interesting fact: "Marijuana users had a significantly lower median estradiol level (10.04 ng/dL) as compared with all the other groups (P<0.001)"

Also, maybe the explanation for cannabis' anti cancer effect ? : "Hallak noted that marijuana induces production of intracellular ROS whereas tobacco smoke creates extracellular oxidative stress."

In any case, as far as declaring cannabis harmful, the study needs to be reproduced with cannabis oil, instead of smoked cannabis: ANY substance that's being smoked is damaging to health.

4. burtlancast

burtlancast Member

No, it's not.
    It's been posted again and again: THC and CBD by themselves are neither estrogenic or anti-estrogenic.

5. paymanz

paymanz Member

a substance doesnt necessarily need to increase estrogen levels to be called estrogenic.

6. raysputin

raysputin Member

7. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

I think it’s progesteronegenic.

8. paymanz

paymanz Member

Based on studies or experience and observation?

9. Atman

Atman Member

I can tell from personal experience and from observing other people who were chronic users that cannabis is indeed antiandrogenic.
    I am also pretty sure that it's not due to the smoking, since I couldn't observe the same effect in chronic tabacco smokers.

10. Stramonium

Stramonium Member

Cannabis increases cortisol, as seen in many chronic smokers that are super skinny unable to put on muscle

11. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

I’ve read about 10 studies. It seems to me that it is not estrogenic. But it has characteristics that resemble progesterone.

12. kyle

kyle Member

I dont need studies to tell me what a plague on society it is though.

I know the rats park study and all but were rational creatures, not rats. Its absolutely crippling to young people.

It being toted as having some medicinal value is a total smokescreen afaic.

13. Stramonium

Stramonium Member

As an ex cannabis smoker I totally agree, many people use it as a coping mechanism and it ends up making their anxiety a lot worse than it was, with even worse symptoms. I have a friend who get really intense heart palpitations from it every time he smokes, last time he ended up in the emergency room. Its medical value has been over exaggerated to say the least

14. Inaut

Inaut Member

I agree with this. I used to smoke quite heavily and found it quite stressful although i kept doing it. The effects of which I am still probably dealing with to this day ie. high cortisol and estrogen. In the last few months my body has transformed quite substantially and that is partially due to quitting marijuana. If it is not androgenic, which we can all agree on, it will probably lead to estrogenic effects if overdone. I think the frequency should be highlighted here as once and a while it could probably serve the body well.

15. belcanto

belcanto Member