Deficiency Of Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Can Cause The Cancer Metabolism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peat has written extensively on the metabolic phenotype of tumor cells - i.e. the so-called Warburg effect and its reversal. The official theory is that mutations cause the cell to turn into a tumor and there is no reversing it. I posted a few studies on vitamin B1 (thiamine) and its similarity to drugs like DCA, as well as its ability to inhibit the enzyme carbonic anhydrase directly and thus increase levels of CO2 in the body.

Thiamine acts similarly to DCA and may be helpful in cancer
Thiamine is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor as effective as acetazolamide
Thiamine Normalizes Pyruvate / Lactate Levels In Rats With Cancer

This would make thiamine a prime candidate for cancer treatment, especially considering the recent human studies with high dose biotin stopping progressive MS - a condition considered incurable and often fatal. The mechanism of action for biotin's success was the same as the one of thiamine - i.e. it improved oxidative metabolism, raised CO2 levels and eventually the nerves remyelinated themselves.

This study deserves attention (IMHO) because it shows that a deficiency of vitamin B1 can directly cause the tumor phenotype, no mutations needed. Also, the paper is authored by the obscure fellow Otto Warburg:):
I have been able to find small excerpts of this study translated and was able to glean that simple administration of high dose thiamine was able to reverse the tumor phenotype but I was not able to get access to the full paper, and it is in German. So, @Giraffe, can you please help get a copy of this full study and also a possible translation in English?

[Genesis of tumor metabolism by vitamin B1 deficiency (thiamine deficiency)]. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks @haidut! The full text can be downloaded from this site (or see attached file). I could also help with the translation if needed.

Oh, this is great! Thanks so much! Can you please skim through the study and see if they used vitamin B1 supplementation in cells or in animals to reverse the deficiency and the cancer phenotype? If yes, can you please post whatever numbers they cite for doses? I will try to do the same using my very limited knowledge of German from 20 years ago.

Giraffe

Oh, this is great! Thanks so much! Can you please skim through the study and see if they used vitamin B1 supplementation in cells or in animals to reverse the deficiency and the cancer phenotype? If yes, can you please post whatever numbers they cite for doses? I will try to do the same using my very limited knowledge of German from 20 years ago.

They grew cells from chicken embryos in a culture medium. They mentioned only one concentration of vitamin B1 (0.025 g per cm³ culture medium), and they talk more about prevention of "spontaneous" cancer [quotations marks theirs] than the reversal of cancer metabolism (fermentation).

I think that they had to shorten the text to two pages.

"Mißt man den Stoffwechsel solcher in vitro gewachsenen embryonalen Zellen, so findet man entweder, daß der rein aerobe Stoffwechsel, mit dem die embryonalen Zellen im Körper wachsen, erhalten bleibt; oder daß der embryonale Stoffwechsel in den Gärungsstoffwechsel der Krebszellen umschlägt. Der Umschlag kann reversibel oder irreversibel sein. Ist er irreversibel, so kann man nach allen Erfahrungen fortgesetzter in-vitro-Züchtung die gärenden Zellen mit Erfolg auf Tiere transplantieren."

"If you measure the metabolism of embryonic cells grown in vitro, you find that either the aerobic metabolism is maintained or that the metabolism changes to the fermentation of cancer cells. The change can either be reversible or irreversible. If it is irreversible, you can according to experience successfully transplant the cells to animals."

"Bei der Anwendung des Tests hat sich gezeigt, daß man den Umschlag des embryonalen Stoffwechsels in den Krebsstoffwechsel auf zweierlei Art erzeugen kann: entweder, indem man mit B-Vitaminen gesättigte Zellen zeitweise unter Sauerstoffmangel 2,3 bringt; oder indem man mit Sauerstoff gesättigte Zellen zeitweise unter Vitamin-B-Mangel bringt. Beiden Methoden gemeinsam ist eine Atmungshemmung, die irreversibel sein muß und verbunden sein muß mit einem energieäquivalenten Anstieg der Gärung."

In our tests it turned out that you can produce the change from embryonic metabolism to cancer metabolism in two ways: either you put cells saturated with B-vitamins in a temporary oxygen deficit or you put cells saturated with oxygen in a temporary B-vitamins deficit. What these two methods have in common is a inhibition of respiration, which must be irreversible and which is accompanied by energy equivalent raise in fermentation.

"Es ist ein weiteres Ergebnis der Anwendung des Tests, daß das Vitamin B1 eine Sonderstellung unter den B-Vitaminen einnimmt. Unter unseren Versuchsbedingungen genügte der Zusatz von 0,025 g pro cm3 Medium + Vitamin B1 , ohne den Zusatz anderer B-Vitamine, um den Umschlag des embryonalen Stoffwechsels in Krebs-Stoffwechsel, also die Entstehung des Krebses, zu verhüten."

Another result is that vitamin B1 is special among the B-vitamins. In our test conditions the addition of 0.025 g per cm3 culture medium + vitamin B1, without the addition of other B-vitamins could prevent the change from embryonic metabolism to cancer metabolism and therefore the formation of cancer.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
They grew cells from chicken embryos in a culture medium. They mentioned only one concentration of vitamin B1 (0.025 g per cm³ culture medium), and they talk more about prevention of "spontaneous" cancer [quotations marks theirs] than the reversal of cancer metabolism (fermentation).

I think that they had to shorten the text to two pages.

"Mißt man den Stoffwechsel solcher in vitro gewachsenen embryonalen Zellen, so findet man entweder, daß der rein aerobe Stoffwechsel, mit dem die embryonalen Zellen im Körper wachsen, erhalten bleibt; oder daß der embryonale Stoffwechsel in den Gärungsstoffwechsel der Krebszellen umschlägt. Der Umschlag kann reversibel oder irreversibel sein. Ist er irreversibel, so kann man nach allen Erfahrungen fortgesetzter in-vitro-Züchtung die gärenden Zellen mit Erfolg auf Tiere transplantieren."

"If you measure the metabolism of embryonic cells grown in vitro, you find that either the aerobic metabolism is maintained or that the metabolism changes to the fermentation of cancer cells. The change can either be reversible or irreversible. If it is irreversible, you can according to experience successfully transplant the cells to animals."

"Bei der Anwendung des Tests hat sich gezeigt, daß man den Umschlag des embryonalen Stoffwechsels in den Krebsstoffwechsel auf zweierlei Art erzeugen kann: entweder, indem man mit B-Vitaminen gesättigte Zellen zeitweise unter Sauerstoffmangel 2,3 bringt; oder indem man mit Sauerstoff gesättigte Zellen zeitweise unter Vitamin-B-Mangel bringt. Beiden Methoden gemeinsam ist eine Atmungshemmung, die irreversibel sein muß und verbunden sein muß mit einem energieäquivalenten Anstieg der Gärung."

In our tests it turned out that you can produce the change from embryonic metabolism to cancer metabolism in two ways: either you put cells saturated with B-vitamins in a temporary oxygen deficit or you put cells saturated with oxygen in a temporary B-vitamins deficit. What these two methods have in common is a inhibition of respiration, which must be irreversible and which is accompanied by energy equivalent raise in fermentation.

"Es ist ein weiteres Ergebnis der Anwendung des Tests, daß das Vitamin B1 eine Sonderstellung unter den B-Vitaminen einnimmt. Unter unseren Versuchsbedingungen genügte der Zusatz von 0,025 g pro cm3 Medium + Vitamin B1 , ohne den Zusatz anderer B-Vitamine, um den Umschlag des embryonalen Stoffwechsels in Krebs-Stoffwechsel, also die Entstehung des Krebses, zu verhüten."

Another result is that vitamin B1 is special among the B-vitamins. In our test conditions the addition of 0.025 g per cm3 culture medium + vitamin B1, without the addition of other B-vitamins could prevent the change from embryonic metabolism to cancer metabolism and therefore the formation of cancer.

Excellent! Thank you so much.
So, this means they got about 25mg / L concentration, which is 83 uMol / L. That is not too high and is achievable with about 500mg oral thiamine taken for at least a week. There is a recent study which found that oral and IV thiamine actually achieve the same concentration at the same dose but the oral thiamine has to be taken for longer. So, taking 500mg oral thiamine daily for a week will achieve concentrations on the 7th day comparable to a single IV dose of 500mg thiamine. So, it looks like there is no need for even allithiamine or all the other expensive fat-soluble thiamines. Plain old thiamine Hcl will do just fine if used for a few days.

Last edited:

zooma

Excellent! Thank you so much.
So, this means they got about 25mg / L concentration, which is 83 uMol / L. That is not too high and is achievable with about 1g oral thiamine taken for at least a week. There is a recent study which found that oral and IV thiamine actually achieve the same concentration at the same dose but the oral thiamine has to be taken for longer. So, taking 300mg oral thiamine daily for a week will achieve concentrations on the 7th day comparable to a single IV dose of 300mg thiamine. So, it looks like there is no need for even allithiamine or all the other expensive fat-soluble thiamines. Plain old thiamine Hcl will do just fine if used for a few days.
What do you think about thiamine pyrophosphate?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What do you think about thiamine pyrophosphate?

TPP is the active form of thiamine, the one that is actually used in enzymatic reactions. In theory it should be more useful but it is much more expensive and there is no evidence that plain thiamine cannot do the same. It will get converted to TPP anyways.

zooma

Could you speculate on how dosing TPP would equate to the plain HCL?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Could you speculate on how dosing TPP would equate to the plain HCL?

The study that I have seen compare the 2 vitamer used the same doses, so they probably expected about equal effectiveness.

zooma

Thanks. I'll just look forward to your DMSO-delivered product instead!