Deer antler extract and possible applications for degenerative bone and joint disorders.

OP
CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints

I have a feeling that eating bone marrow would give similar results at a much cheaper price

I was unaware bone marrow could help regenerate tissue in the same way, actually - do you have any studies I could take a look at? From the sounds of the first study it seemed like it was a property fairly unique to deer antlers.

dukesbobby777

I tried a few extracts of this many years ago, and was largely disappointed by its effects. It’s a herb which is hyped up quite a lot but, like most herbs, I noticed little by way of the effects that are supposed to occur.

Jennifer

I tried a few extracts of this many years ago, and was largely disappointed by its effects. It’s a herb which is hyped up quite a lot but, like most herbs, I noticed little by way of the effects that are supposed to occur.

Same here. It was in a herbal bones formula I was taking a few years ago and not only did I not experience improvements in what it was intended for, I developed fingernail ridges and a cavity while taking it so it didn’t even halt degeneration.

OP
CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints

Thanks for the responses!

I am surprised to hear people classifying deer antler extract as a herb! Is it perhaps also the name of a herb, or because of its use in traditional Chinese medicine, or something like that? These studies are about extracts taken from actual deer antlers.

I think actually finding a real extract with a high enough concentrate to achieve some of the results in the experiments would be quite challenging. I don't want to discount either of your experiences, but I suspect if one wanted to use it therapeutically, they might need something potentially much stronger than what might be found in a generalised supplement. Regardless, do you remember the brands you used in particular? Could you perhaps post them, or message them to me, so I could see for myself?

dukesbobby777

I am surprised to hear people classifying deer antler extract as a herb! Is it perhaps also the name of a herb, or because of its use in traditional Chinese medicine, or something like that? These studies are about extracts taken from actual deer antlers.

I think actually finding a real extract with a high enough concentrate to achieve some of the results in the experiments would be quite challenging. I don't want to discount either of your experiences, but I suspect if one wanted to use it therapeutically, they might need something potentially much stronger than what might be found in a generalised supplement. Regardless, do you remember the brands you used in particular? Could you perhaps post them, or message them to me, so I could see for myself?

Yeah I kind of bit the bullet and purchased the surthrival elk antler extract which supposedly is (so they claim) the most potent, but didn’t notice much other than a lighter wallet lol. That was just my experience though.

Jennifer

Sorry for the confusion. I don’t classify it as an herb. It’s included in an herbal formula, but is animal derived. This is the product I used:

OP
CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints

Thank you both for clearing that up!

I'm not sure if there is a functional difference between antler velvet and antler extract, although I did see studies which specified 'velvet' whilst I was looking. I'll need to investigate this, and maybe I'll email both of those companies to see if they might be able to tell me how much is actually in there!

theloge

I was unaware bone marrow could help regenerate tissue in the same way, actually - do you have any studies I could take a look at? From the sounds of the first study it seemed like it was a property fairly unique to deer antlers.
I don't have any particular studies, but bone marrow also contains stem cells as well as a lot of nutrition like collagen and vitamin k. It is very important for the immune system. I would assume the benefits would be similar to elk antler because antlers are bones.

OP
CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints

I don't have any particular studies, but bone marrow also contains stem cells as well as a lot of nutrition like collagen and vitamin k. It is very important for the immune system. I would assume the benefits would be similar to elk antler because antlers are bones.

Thank you for your input.

Well, if you look at the first study, they are actually much more than just bone, they are "the only known mammalian structure that can annually regenerate to produce a tissue containing dermis, blood vessels, nerves, cartilage, and bone". Perhaps I should have lead with that in the thread title.

I used to eat a lot of bone marrow, but I became concerned when I either read a study on here or heard Ray Peat say (I can't remember which) that sometimes heavy metal content can accumulate in animal bones and marrow. I'm not sure where it is, but it would be a good one to find again. I'll look around for that too.

Dr. B

@Lokzo Mate can you post that website with the deer antler i think you posted one before it was a website selling very few products, one of which was a deer antler velvet

FitnessMike

@Lokzo Mate can you post that website with the deer antler i think you posted one before it was a website selling very few products, one of which was a deer antler velvet
its on navi organics

Dr. B

its on navi organics
there was a specific american website selling it, i think the website had a lot of light blue background/coloring, the guy who ran the company/website was some mountain hiker dude so some of the products were based around that. maybe some glacier water

Back
Top Bottom