Deep Frying With Hydrogenated Coconut Oil?

R J

Never used it before. Sometimes I get mad Chinese takeout craving and would like to make it myself to control the ingredients. Any comments?

tankasnowgod

Never used it before. Sometimes I get mad Chinese takeout craving and would like to make it myself to control the ingredients. Any comments?

It's the best possible oil you can deep fry in (excepting maybe beef tallow). Zero PUFAs, 10% Stearic Acid, high smoke point. Highly Recommend.

OP
R J

R J

It's the best possible oil you can deep fry in (excepting maybe beef tallow). Zero PUFAs, 10% Stearic Acid, high smoke point. Highly Recommend.

I just read from Travis how the potential aluminum contamination in hydrogenated oils can be bad news.

I can get grass fed beef tallow for cheap so I’ll probably stick with that now.

J

james2388

What exactly are you deep frying? Who says you even need to deep fry? Just flour and use a pan stir fry with butter, and throw some water in there to steam the inside.
You know this is the 21st century right and you can use no oils in an air fryer?

tara

I've deep-fried potato chips in regular refined coconut oil - delicious. Also bake them in the oven with a bit of CO sometimes.

OP
R J

R J

What exactly are you deep frying? Who says you even need to deep fry? Just flour and use a pan stir fry with butter, and throw some water in there to steam the inside.
You know this is the 21st century right and you can use no oils in an air fryer?

An air fryer is literally a convection oven repackaged in a different shape. If I want to put my food in an oven I’ll use an oven. If I want deep fried Chinese take out style sweet and sour pork I’ll do it right and use a deep fryer. There’s a world of difference, and thank you for the tip but I’m not gonna put water in a pan with near smoking hot oil.

OP
R J

R J

I've deep-fried potato chips in regular refined coconut oil - delicious. Also bake them in the oven with a bit of CO sometimes.

I’ve done air fried potato fries with CO in oven and they’re not bad but nothing beats the crunch and moistness inside of blanched then fried. I’m gonna use beef tallow, I hear it makes amazing fries

nad

I've been using Bulk Apothecary, but there might be better suppliers out there.

Dan Wich's Toxinless page is a great resource for this- Coconut oil sources and quality issues - Toxinless
Oh, thanks for fast response.
I just got 7 pounds from Bulk Apothecary and it looks not so good, some solid chunks floating in almost liquid oil (the temp. was 75 F), it is solidifying when cooled in fridge, but melting at room temp of 75F. Did you experiencing something like this with them? I'm asking because you said there might be better suppliers out there.

tankasnowgod

Oh, thanks for fast response.
I just got 7 pounds from Bulk Apothecary and it looks not so good, some solid chunks floating in almost liquid oil (the temp. was 75 F), it is solidifying when cooled in fridge, but melting at room temp of 75F. Did you experiencing something like this with them? I'm asking because you said there might be better suppliers out there.

Sounds like regular coconut oil. 92 degree coconut oil appears to be fully hydrogenated. Mine is still solid, but softer, at temps in the 80s. I have some regular coconut oil that is mostly liquid at similar temps.

nad

Sounds like regular coconut oil. 92 degree coconut oil appears to be fully hydrogenated. Mine is still solid, but softer, at temps in the 80s. I have some regular coconut oil that is mostly liquid at similar temps.
Yeah, it looks like mixed oils.
I just never before used 92 degree, neither this company, just wondering about their reputation. Need to contact them,
thank you.

Hugh Johnson

Yeah, it looks like mixed oils.
I just never before used 92 degree, neither this company, just wondering about their reputation. Need to contact them,
thank you.
Hydrogenated CO does that. When it is near the melting point for a long time, the stearic acid seems to coagulate into these little balls. It's normal. You can just melt it properly and mix a bit if it bothers you.

nad

Hydrogenated CO does that. When it is near the melting point for a long time, the stearic acid seems to coagulate into these little balls. It's normal. You can just melt it properly and mix a bit if it bothers you.
thanks, but 75 isn't ''near the melting point'' of 92:???:

yashi

Try to pinpoint what it is that you are craving. Is it the fat? Is it the salt? Is it the starch? Is it the umami?
Sometimes finding out what exactly the craving is, makes it easier to quench it without having to eat all the harmful things that come with it. In any case, making a version without the soy oil is certainly the lesser of two evils.

Jib

could you please also recommend the supplier?

I use Welch, Holme and Clark. They are top shelf. Excellent customer service. You do have to make a phone call to place an order but it's well worth it. I got a 5 gallon pail of hydrogenated coconut oil, and it comes with a batch analysis. It's meticulous and lists exactly the percentage of each and every fatty acid in that particular batch, the melting point, and more. I have no doubts as to the quality of the oil.

The aluminum thing? I've heard about it. And it is concerning. I'll have to do more research. However I will say this coconut oil I got from them seems to be very high quality and is an even more appealing consistency than regular coconut oil.

Home - Welch, Holme, & Clark

Item # 1011, Hydrogenated Coconut Oils On Welch Holme & Clark Co. Inc

All I did was call them at 973-465-1200, told them I wanted to place an order for item #1011, the hydrogenated coconut oil, and they helped me every step of the way.

Jib

Was wondering about this. Might pull the trigger on a deep fryer at this point, now that I have 5 gallons of hydrogenated coconut oil. I couldn't find anything online about the smoke point for HCO but it makes sense that with the pure saturated fat and zero PUFA it would be ideal.

The storage life of HCO should also be indefinite, theoretically. I'm a big fan of nonperishables and as far as oils go, I can't imagine anything keeping better than HCO. Been using it to make granola (organic rolled oats, HCO, honey, salt) and it's the best granola I've ever had in my life. The texture of HCO is really something else, nothing wrong with regular coconut oil but the HCO is the clear winner for me. Not concerned about the aluminum content though maybe I should be?

OP
R J

R J

Try to pinpoint what it is that you are craving. Is it the fat? Is it the salt? Is it the starch? Is it the umami?
Sometimes finding out what exactly the craving is, makes it easier to quench it without having to eat all the harmful things that come with it. In any case, making a version without the soy oil is certainly the lesser of two evils.

I think it’s the salty sweetness and crunch mixed with rice or noodles. Ahhhhh I’m also craving bbq ribs and good ice cream a lot. I think I just want calories! I’ve been eating very rich foods and not putting on weight. “Clean” food doesn’t interest me much lately