Decreased Serotonin In Healthy Adults After Consumption Of Wholegrain Rye: PubMed 2019

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31136658

Decreased plasma serotonin and other metabolite changes in healthy adults after consumption of wholegrain rye: an untargeted metabolomics study.
Keski-Rahkonen P1, Kolehmainen M2, Lappi J2, Micard V2,3, Jokkala J2, Rosa-Sibakov N2,3, Pihlajamäki J2,4, Kirjavainen PV2,5, Mykkänen H2, Poutanen K6, Gunter MJ1, Scalbert A1, Hanhineva K2.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Wholegrain consumption has been associated with beneficial health effects including reduction of diabetes and cancer risk; however, the underlying mechanisms are not fully understood.

OBJECTIVE:
The aim of this study was to characterize the effects of wholegrain rye intake on circulating metabolites in a human intervention study using untargeted metabolomics.

METHODS:
The intervention consisted of 2 successive 4-wk periods in a randomized crossover design, where 15 adults consumed wholegrain rye bread (WGR) or white wheat bread enriched with fermented rye bran (WW+RB), following a 4-wk rye-free period with white wheat bread (WW). Fasting plasma samples were collected at the end of each period and analyzed using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. Metabolic profiles were compared to identify compounds discriminating WGR from the WW+RB and WW periods. Because peripheral serotonin is produced mainly in the gut, a hypothesis of its altered biosynthesis as a response to increased cereal fiber intake was tested by measuring intestinal serotonin of mice fed for 9 wk on a high-fat diet supplemented with different sources of fiber (rye bran flour, ground wheat aleurone, or powdered cellulose).

RESULTS:
Five endogenous metabolites and 15 rye phytochemicals associated with WGR intake were identified. Plasma concentrations of serotonin, taurine, and glycerophosphocholine were significantly lower after the WGR than WW period (Q < 0.05). Concentrations of 2 phosphatidylethanolamine plasmalogens, PE(18:2/P-18:0) and PE(18:2/P-16:0), were lower after the WGR period than the WW+RB period (Q < 0.05). The concentration of serotonin was significantly lower in the colonic tissue of mice that consumed rye bran or wheat aleurone compared with cellulose (P < 0.001).

CONCLUSIONS:
Wholegrain rye intake decreases plasma serotonin in healthy adults when compared with refined wheat. Intake of rye bran and wheat aleurone decreases colonic serotonin in mice. These results suggest that peripheral serotonin could be a potential link between wholegrain consumption and its associated health effects

somuch4food

Interesting. I was wondering why fruit and vegetable fibers seem to aggravate symptoms while fibers from grains seem fine.

That could explain it.

J

jb116

Rye is one of the grains that is extremely high in phytases.

It seems haidut is right when he says that times are changing. This study is suggesting that the reason why whole grains have some benefits is that they lower peripheral serotonin. Happy to see that there is movement towards a coherent view of the role of serotonin.

SOMO

After years of being gluten-free (it gave me acne) I started introducing sourdough wheat in small amounts and I seem fine.

I do think the hard insoluble fiber in grains has more of a disinfecting and scrubbing action than vegetable or fruit fiber.

Too much fruit, even dried fruit can cause bloating. But eating a lot of grains does not seem to cause this.

The best compromise are sourdough grains because the yeast reduces the gluten.

Korven

I wish I had access to good quality ripe fruit in abundance... but sadly I don't. So I reckon I need some starchy carb source if I don't want to starve to death.

Rye bread has lots of calories and according to this study rye whole grain fibers actually seem to have a serotonin lowering effect + it tastes amazing.

Anyone else made rye bread a staple in their diet? I could easily eat 1000 + kcal from sourdough rye bread.

SOMO

I wish I had access to good quality ripe fruit in abundance... but sadly I don't. So I reckon I need some starchy carb source if I don't want to starve to death.

Rye bread has lots of calories and according to this study rye whole grain fibers actually seem to have a serotonin lowering effect + it tastes amazing.

Anyone else made rye bread a staple in their diet? I could easily eat 1000 + kcal from sourdough rye bread.

As a child, whole grain rye bread was common in my home, but eventually everyone moved to the white processed bread.
I don't remember having any issues with gluten when I was very young, except maybe acne, but that could have been from many other things.

rei

I thought rye bread has been reliably associated with large intestine/rectal cancer in humans, i have seen a local intestinal surgeon on mainstream debate program trying to raise awareness of this many many years ago. He said he can immediately see from the appearance of the large intestine if the patient has been consuming rye bread.

Ras

I wish I had access to good quality ripe fruit in abundance... but sadly I don't.
I wouldn't feel too bad about that - fruit is good, but almost all of it is low in nutrients in comparison to other foods that might be easier for you to get.

lampofred

Alcohol also lowers serotonin but isn't good for you metabolically. I think in general both things that raise CO2 and things that lower vitality lower serotonin. Whole grains lower serotonin by lowering vitality.

gaze

the problem with whole grains for me personaly is more so the phosphorus and iron as opposed to the starch.

SOMO

I thought rye bread has been reliably associated with large intestine/rectal cancer in humans, i have seen a local intestinal surgeon on mainstream debate program trying to raise awareness of this many many years ago. He said he can immediately see from the appearance of the large intestine if the patient has been consuming rye bread.

I don't think grains are an ideal food, but if someone is consuming enough calcium to offset the phosphorus from the grains, the insoluble fiber should have an anti-cancer effect.

rei

I think what he was saying is that the whole grain rye used to make bread is so resistant that it still femrents as it exits the body, causing problems in places where no fermentation is expected (the rectum) and thus cancer. The bad shape of large intestine is downstream effect.

gaze

Do you have any links for more info on this?

rei

Sorry, no. It was just a 30min or so appearance on a talk show, talking about cancers and iirc the increase in rectal cancers. And this was the anecdotal experience of the doctor vs. the "but rye bread is known to be good for you" host.

I never really looked into the science as i had pretty much limited grain intake already back then. I just assumed the doctor must have been quite confident in his opinion because our culture is very conservative and doctors have very little room for stepping out of line.

CastorTroy

Rye is one of the grains that is extremely high in phytases.
I don't think grains are an ideal food, but if someone is consuming enough calcium to offset the phosphorus from the grains, the insoluble fiber should have an anti-cancer effect.

"Phytases are a class of enzymes that catalyze the removal of phosphate from either phytic acid or phytate (salt form) and can be classified as histidine acid phosphatases (HAPs), β-propeller phytase (or alkaline phytase), purple acid phytase, or protein tyrosine phosphatase."

Phytase - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics