Decrease High SHBG

Vida

How is it possible to decrease high SHBG concentrations? My latest testresult showed superhigh, feels like crap that whatever I do nothing seems to improve:(

Mittir

In hyperthyroid state SHBG can be high. SHBG is protective, since it binds estrogen.
High dose of thyroid supplement can cause hyperthyroidism. Some hypothyroid
people go through temporary phase of hyperthyroidism. High estrogen blocks
release of thyroid hormone from the glands and increases the storage of thyroid
hormone. When estrogen decreases for some reason, thyroid gland releases
abnormally high amount of thyroid hormone. RP has mentioned this
phase can last few months. Progesterone can also cause this release
of stored thyroid hormone.

OP
V

Vida

In hyperthyroid state SHBG can be high. SHBG is protective, since it binds estrogen.
High dose of thyroid supplement can cause hyperthyroidism. Some hypothyroid
people go through temporary phase of hyperthyroidism. High estrogen blocks
release of thyroid hormone from the glands and increases the storage of thyroid
hormone. When estrogen decreases for some reason, thyroid gland releases
abnormally high amount of thyroid hormone. RP has mentioned this
phase can last few months. Progesterone can also cause this release
of stored thyroid hormone.
Thank you @Mittir but I' m hypothyroid, not hyper. And I'm not anorexic or on the pill, just to clarify. I've read so much about this glycoprotein and its a hard nut to crack figuring out where the problem lies in me. So you say its protective, would that mean im major estrogen dominant? Since it binds up testosterone, estrogen and DHEA and makes them less functioning in the cells, how is it possible to reverse it? My DHEA-S and testosterone is on the lower side in bloodtests and for me it doesnt feels right to start supplementing these because the problem lies in the SHBG that binds them up and not the actual fact that I'm lacking these hormones from the start. Am I wrong? I've also read that low cortisol and low IGF-1 causes high SHBG. And that being hypo causes low IGF-1. And by supplementing thyroid (especially t3) you increase SHBG. So you see, what's the solution :wtf:? Is it my liver? Maybe I'm obsessing about this but I wouldnt if I felt that my health was great (or maybe I would, I seek the truth) I've asked several doctors/endos/gyno and believe me when I say that no one can answer my questions and figure out why I have a high level. That makes me want to understand och figure this out even more.
@haidut or anyone, thoughts?

Last edited:

Drareg

Thank you @Mittir but I' m hypothyroid, not hyper. And I'm not anorexic or on the pill, just to clarify. I've read so much about this glycoprotein and its a hard nut to crack figuring out where the problem lies in me. So you say its protective, would that mean im major estrogen dominant? Since it binds up testosterone, estrogen and DHEA and makes them less functioning in the cells, how is it possible to reverse it? My DHEA-S and testosterone is on the lower side in bloodtests and for me it doesnt feels right to start supplementing these because the problem lies in the SHBG that binds them up and not the actual fact that I'm lacking these hormones from the start. Am I wrong? I've also read that low cortisol and low IGF-1 causes high SHBG. And that being hypo causes low IGF-1. And by supplementing thyroid (especially t3) you increase SHBG. So you see, what's the solution :wtf:? Is it my liver? Maybe I'm obsessing about this but I wouldnt if I felt that my health was great (or maybe I would, I seek the truth) I've asked several doctors/endos/gyno and believe me when I say that no one can answer my questions and figure out why I have a high level. That makes me want to understand och figure this out even more.
@haidut or anyone, thoughts?

I find the SHBG to be confusing,it's protective against high estrogen but can also bind up testosterone which is not good,som many things influence it. Nettle root can bind to SHBG and stop hormones binding to it freeing them up,unfortunately estrogen seems to increase here,vitamin E could mitigate the estrogen rise.

Is there any specific talks articles where Peat elaborates on SHBG,anybody?

OP
V

Vida

I find the SHBG to be confusing,it's protective against high estrogen but can also bind up testosterone which is not good,som many things influence it. Nettle root can bind to SHBG and stop hormones binding to it freeing them up,unfortunately estrogen seems to increase here,vitamin E could mitigate the estrogen rise.

Is there any specific talks articles where Peat elaborates on SHBG,anybody?
@Drareg, do you have high SHBG level, have you tried nettle root? Searching through a lot of litterature, the web, everything from Peat, Jack Kruse, pubMed and so on. I just dont get it to be honest, especially when reading what Kruse has to say about it.

Drareg

@Drareg, do you have high SHBG level, have you tried nettle root? Searching through a lot of litterature, the web, everything from Peat, Jack Kruse, pubMed and so on. I just dont get it to be honest, especially when reading what Kruse has to say about it.

I have an interest in it and want to learn more,I have not done labs In a while but I was usually within range in all except for thyroid within Peats recommended range,I'm confident that that's in Peat range now. The ranges from mainstream are questionable I'm sure.

I'm not sure if I am high or low but I am speculating that if SHBG has a preference for DHT firstly,testosterone secondly and lastly estrogen then supplementing DHT could potentially just use up all the SHBG and leave testosterone free to convert to estrogen on top of the already unbound estrogen,testosterone will likely convert mainly estrogen here if something in the body is signalling DHT,DHT should inhibit the conversion of tstosterone to estrogen but if it's bound up? It's still in the body so the body knows not to create more?

I'm trying to find out where androsterone fits in in relation the SHBG.
I know Peat has recommended nettle root,It binds to SHBG and allows the hormones to go free,I think nettle root prevents the testosterone from converting to estrogn also,the question arises though,if you have high estorgne already in the body you need SHBG to get it out so allowing it to run free could make you very uncomfortable?

OP
V

Vida

I have an interest in it and want to learn more,I have not done labs In a while but I was usually within range in all except for thyroid within Peats recommended range,I'm confident that that's in Peat range now. The ranges from mainstream are questionable I'm sure.

I'm not sure if I am high or low but I am speculating that if SHBG has a preference for DHT firstly,testosterone secondly and lastly estrogen then supplementing DHT could potentially just use up all the SHBG and leave testosterone free to convert to estrogen on top of the already unbound estrogen,testosterone will likely convert mainly estrogen here if something in the body is signalling DHT,DHT should inhibit the conversion of tstosterone to estrogen but if it's bound up? It's still in the body so the body knows not to create more?

I'm trying to find out where androsterone fits in in relation the SHBG.
I know Peat has recommended nettle root,It binds to SHBG and allows the hormones to go free,I think nettle root prevents the testosterone from converting to estrogn also,the question arises though,if you have high estorgne already in the body you need SHBG to get it out so allowing it to run free could make you very uncomfortable?
That is so cool that you find it interesting..since no one else seem to haha. The first time I had the test done a couple of years ago I actually ordered it myself, since I could feel there was something more going on besides my thyroid. I think though that the reason why doctors dont order this bloodtest usually is because that they dont know what to do with the result, especially in a young female. I can only relate to having a high level and I think that if you were on the higher side you would definetly feel it and your body composition can tell as well. I have experimented a lot with thyroid since I'm hypo but it doesnt agree with me, and I think that the SHBG is the reason why. It increases even more when on thyroid and binds up a lot of my testosterone and estrogen and gives me symptoms as if I'm actually lacking estrogen!! You have some interesting theories. I havent tested androstenidione levels. You are right about too much "free" estrogen beeing uncomfortable, whenever my SHBG decreases a little (still high though, my latest reading was 188 nmol/L going down from previous 228 nmol/L, normal ref.r 32-128) I can sense it in terms of making me feel more hypo for example. So this is a nasty vicious cycle:( The question is how to safely excrete the excess estrogen out from the body without any negative consequences? And is Hashimoto's the reason why I have so high estrogen levels in the first place? Will look more into nettle root.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vida

IMG_4541.jpg

Drareg

That is so cool that you find it interesting..since no one else seem to haha. The first time I had the test done a couple of years ago I actually ordered it myself, since I could feel there was something more going on besides my thyroid. I think though that the reason why doctors dont order this bloodtest usually is because that they dont know what to do with the result, especially in a young female. I can only relate to having a high level and I think that if you were on the higher side you would definetly feel it and your body composition can tell as well. I have experimented a lot with thyroid since I'm hypo but it doesnt agree with me, and I think that the SHBG is the reason why. It increases even more when on thyroid and binds up a lot of my testosterone and estrogen and gives me symptoms as if I'm actually lacking estrogen!! You have some interesting theories. I havent tested androstenidione levels. You are right about too much "free" estrogen beeing uncomfortable, whenever my SHBG decreases a little (still high though, my latest reading was 188 nmol/L going down from previous 228 nmol/L, normal ref.r 32-128) I can sense it in terms of making me feel more hypo for example. So this is a nasty vicious cycle:( The question is how to safely excrete the excess estrogen out from the body without any negative consequences? And is Hashimoto's the reason why I have so high estrogen levels in the first place? Will look more into nettle root.

We have studies on here of vitamin E helping downregulate the estrogen receptor,I'm not sure if anything specifically destroys estrogen and excretes it, I will look around.

The forum does fall victim to bias at times,we are all guilty of reductionism from time to time.
Maybe emailing Peat with a direct question about what happens when you supplement DHT it's bound by SHBG and leaving free estrogen.

Androsterone is a different hormone to what you mentioned.

OP
V

Vida

We have studies on here of vitamin E helping downregulate the estrogen receptor,I'm not sure if anything specifically destroys estrogen and excretes it, I will look around.

The forum does fall victim to bias at times,we are all guilty of reductionism from time to time.
Maybe emailing Peat with a direct question about what happens when you supplement DHT it's bound by SHBG and leaving free estrogen.

Androsterone is a different hormone to what you mentioned.
Thanx @Drareg. I would like to ask Peat but dont have his email, please PM me if you have. You mean u think I should supplement DHT :flushed:??
What are your thoughts on low/not enough cortisol circulating in the system being the cause of high SHBG?

And high doses of progesterone to balance out estrogen? Does that actually lower the estrogen?
I read about the nettle root and also boron to lower SHBG but my feeling is that it doesnt adress the real cause:(
I have not actually tried vitamin E yet, maybe I should give it a try.

Last edited:

Drareg

Thanx @Drareg. I would like to ask Peat but dont have his email, please PM me if you have. You mean u think I should supplement DHT :flushed:??
What are your thoughts on low/not enough cortisol circulating in the system being the cause of high SHBG?

And high doses of progesterone to balance out estrogen? Does that actually lower the estrogen?
I read about the nettle root and also boron to lower SHBG but my feeling is that it doesnt adress the real cause:(
I have not actually tried vitamin E yet, maybe I should give it a try.

No I don't think supplementing DHT as a female will help,I was speculating with this idea,it's supposed to decrease with androgen use,I don't trying it in small amounts would be bad,some females on here have.
I think cortisol of its low is an issue but did you check this with bloods?
It's supposed to hyperthyroidism causing high SHBG?

Good question about the progesterone and estorgen,some members have mentioned it gets estrogen out of the cell and can be quite uncomfortable while the Body gets rid of estrogen.
Mainstream view is SHBG increases with estrogenic states.

I don't have Peats email,the mods might give it to you,I just have his newsletter email. It would be interesting if we could get any more info from him on it.

OP
V

Vida

No I don't think supplementing DHT as a female will help,I was speculating with this idea,it's supposed to decrease with androgen use,I don't trying it in small amounts would be bad,some females on here have.
I think cortisol of its low is an issue but did you check this with bloods?
It's supposed to hyperthyroidism causing high SHBG?

Good question about the progesterone and estorgen,some members have mentioned it gets estrogen out of the cell and can be quite uncomfortable while the Body gets rid of estrogen.
Mainstream view is SHBG increases with estrogenic states.

I don't have Peats email,the mods might give it to you,I just have his newsletter email. It would be interesting if we could get any more info from him on it.
Yes I have, latest cortisol was 381 nmol/L at 9 am. (ref.r 135-540) If I could, I would want to get transcortin levels tested, the protein that binds cortisol and also progesterone. Yes, there are many states that can raise SHBG, thats what makes it so confusing. As you said, mainstream view is beeing hyperthyroid, on birth control pills (excess estrogen), underweight/anorexic, liverdisease, and so on. I'm hypothyroid (Hashimoto's, elevated TPO, high TSH) but a skinny one. I have this pain from time to time under my right ribcage. In the past, I have done several tests at the hospital due to this but nothing unusual shows. I guess it is my liver or part of my upper colon that hurts, it feels as if some kind of inflammation but all I can do is selfcare, that is control my diet and so on and livertests are normal. Doctors in general where I live are crap, and I'm tired with having to deal with them. I must say thou, that everything I read so far also indicates that a highish level especially in a young individual is not good and a sign of poor health and that worries me a lot tbh:(

Last edited:

Stellavn

Yes I have, latest cortisol was 381 nmol/L at 9 am. (ref.r 135-540) If I could, I would want to get transcortin levels tested, the protein that binds cortisol and also progesterone. Yes, there are many states that can raise SHBG, thats what makes it so confusing. As you said, mainstream view is beeing hyperthyroid, on birth control pills (excess estrogen), underweight/anorexic, liverdisease, and so on. I'm hypothyroid (Hashimoto's, elevated TPO, high TSH) but a skinny one. I have this pain from time to time under my right ribcage. In the past, I have done several tests at the hospital due to this but nothing unusual shows. I guess it is my liver or part of my upper colon that hurts, it feels as if some kind of inflammation but all I can do is selfcare, that is control my diet and so on and livertests are normal. Doctors in general where I live are crap, and I'm tired with having to deal with them. I must say thou, that everything I read so far also indicates that a highish level especially in a young individual is not good and a sign of poor health and that worries me a lot tbh:(

Vida hi, I had blood test two times last year and showed very high shbg value, 180-190. I am woman 33 years old, started asking, searching, all doctors advised not to bother. A gynaicologist said that I should be happy instead, this hormone protects from male hormones binds them and not let them show up. I was worried though, started searching and found this post of yours. Hope everything is okay with you.

Jon

@Vida also I know you're a woman and these studies were done on men but they should have same or similar physiological effects on women I'd think :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals