Declining Eyesight Improved By Looking At Deep Red Light

Ableton

I have recognized looking carefully at the sun in the early morning seems to do the same for me?
Its really weird

I often look directly into my RedLightMan mini device for a few minutes at a time. It’s not at all uncomfortable after a few seconds and I feel that it does improve my eyesight slightly in terms of focus or sharpness.

Bogdar

For people to see improvements with only 3min red light, it really means that they barely see natural light in their life, right?

mrchibbs

For people to see improvements with only 3min red light, it really means that they barely see natural light in their life, right?

Which is often the case, if we're being honest.

mrchibbs

I have recognized looking carefully at the sun in the early morning seems to do the same for me?
Its really weird

Apparently the sun at dawn and dusk has the most red-light without the UVB. Makes sense since a sunset literally looks red.

Bogdar

Which is often the case, if we're being honest.
Indeed, I was just making sure.

Because the article talks about "decline in eyesight because of old age", I was at first stressed about the fatality of old age, then I wondered how 3min red-light could improve anything when you can have way more by being outside in the sun.
It makes you wonder about decline due to "old age".

mrchibbs

Indeed, I was just making sure.

Because the article talks about "decline in eyesight because of old age", I was at first stressed about the fatality of old age, then I wondered how 3min red-light could improve anything when you can have way more by being outside in the sun.
It makes you wonder about decline due to "old age".

I think there is sufficient evidence to show that there isn't anything about "age" that precipitates aging processes. It's the accumulation of physiological insults

GenericName86

I've been toying with the idea of getting a red light device for a while now, I've seen red light man brought up quite a bit on various sites so I might take another look at their range.

mrchibbs

I've been toying with the idea of getting a red light device for a while now, I've seen red light man brought up quite a bit on various sites so I might take another look at their range.

It's a cheap and essential therapeutic tool. You don't have to buy from reedman though. You can get a light extension chord and red light bulb on amazon or other places for less than 50$. I personally use a combo 660nm/830nm red light, and it feels great. Not a panacea, but it does feel very good, and there is overwhelming evidence of its profound benefits (thousands of studies on PubMed, and Vladimir Heiskanen has a compiled a great google sheet)

GenericName86

It's a cheap and essential therapeutic tool. You don't have to buy from reedman though. You can get a light extension chord and red light bulb on amazon or other places for less than 50$. I personally use a combo 660nm/830nm red light, and it feels great. Not a panacea, but it does feel very good, and there is overwhelming evidence of its profound benefits (thousands of studies on PubMed, and Vladimir Heiskanen has a compiled a great google sheet)

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into red light bulbs and some of those studies.

lvysaur

:rightagain

If the world doesn't end within the next century, I could see medicine finally growing past western-Anglo rigidness and worship of purely deductive reasoning.

Lejeboca

From the same research group---at least the last author is the same---as the OP-referenced article:

A day in the life of mitochondria reveals shifting workloads
Tobias W. Weinrich, Jaimie Hoh Kam, Bill T. Ferrara, Elinor P. Thompson, John Mitrofanis
& Glen Jeffery

Abstract:
Mitochondria provide energy for cellular function. We examine daily changing patterns of mitochondrial
function and metabolism in Drosophila in vivo in terms of their complex (I-IV) activity, ATP production,
glycolysis, and whole fly respiration in the morning, afternoon and night. Complex activity and respiration
showed significant and unexpected variation, peaking in the afternoon. However, ATP levels by contrast
are >40% greater in the morning and lowest at night when glycolysis peaks. Complex activity modulation
was at the protein level with no evidence for differential transcription over the day. Timing differences

between increased ATP production and peaks of complex activity may result from more efficient
ATP production early in the day leaving complex activity with spare capacity. Optical stimulation of

mitochondria is only possible in the mornings when there is such spare capacity. These results provide first
evidence of shifts in cellular energy capacity at the organism level. Understanding their translation may be
significant to the chosen timing of energy demanding interventions to improve function and health.

From Results:
Cytochrome c oxidase in mitochondrial respiration absorbs specific long wavelengths in the deep red to
infra-red and this improves mitochondrial function. It increases ATP production and also improves whole body
fly respiration as measured in Figure 2A 13–16 . Hence, if mitochondrial complex activity has spare capacity in the
mornings, as suggested by data in Fig. 1 then there should be a difference between the impact of red light (670 nm)
on mitochondria between ZT 0 and ZT 8 with the light increasing respiration in the morning (ZT 0) but not in
the afternoon (ZT 8). Figure 2F shows that exposure to 670 nm light significantly increases respiration in flies at

ZT 0 but not at ZT 8. Here 670 nm treated animals are shown in red histograms and their controls in white. These
data support the idea that complex activity lacks spare capacity in the afternoon, while in the mornings spare
capacity is present, perhaps because ATP production is relatively high and does not need topping up (Fig. 2B).

From Methods:
670 nm treatment. Flies were treated with 670 nm (40 mW cm 2 ) for 20 min daily for 7 days, either at 0ZT or 8ZT. Flies were collected after last exposure and assessed for respiration for 2 hours.

pauljacob

Come Christmas time, I'm going to buy half a dozen large Christmas tree lights, unscrew the green and the white and hang the rest around where I sit and bathe myself in red.

OP
L

Lollipop2

Come Christmas time, I'm going to buy half a dozen large Christmas tree lights, unscrew the green and the white and hang the rest around where I sit and bathe myself in red.
What a great idea! I never thought of switching out the light bulbs in those Christmas lights.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals