Declining Age Of Puberty Onset Across The Globe

meatbag

It looks like the age of puberty onset is decreasing across the globe. I think Peat had mentioned that the puberty is induced by stressors in the organism.

"Although cases of precocious puberty may be few and far between—according to the Mayo Clinic, fewer than 200,000 cases in the United States per year—American girls are hitting puberty younger and younger.

“The age of puberty, especially female puberty, has been decreasing in western cultures for decades now,” Chapa said. “For example, at the turn of the 20th century, the average age for an American girl to get her period was 16 or 17. Today, that number has decreased to 12 or 13 years.”

It’s not just girls, a study from the American Academy of Pediatrics found that boys were starting puberty earlier than previously recorded. According to the findings, boys are now beginning puberty around, or a little before age 10. Previously, 11 years of age was the given number where boys began puberty. The study claimed that the public health implication of these findings is unknown and requires further studies."

“Early puberty in girls has been associated with increased risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, obesity and even diabetes in adult life,” Chapa said. “Some of these conditions are related to prolonged and early exposure to estrogen from the active ovarian cycle.”

There are mental health risks to early female puberty as well, especially for a girl going through a big change before her friends.

“Early female puberty has been associated with future psychosocial complications like depression and substance abuse,” Chapa said. “This has been theorized to be a result of neurodevelopmental changes of hormones, such as dopamine and serotonin, caused by puberty, which can lead to risk taking behavior, or simply maladaptation to early onset of secondary sexual characteristics when peers are less physically developed.”"
-The decreasing age of puberty - Vital Record
--
"Saudi girls attain menarcheal age earlier than their mothers, reflecting a downward secular trend in menarcheal age."
Decline in menarcheal age among Saudi girls
--
Onset of puberty in girls has fallen by five years since 1920
--
Declining Age of Puberty of School Girls in Southern Thailand
Declining Age of Puberty of School Girls in Southern Thailand - PubMed

mrchibbs

Fascinating.

I don't know how to use the emoticon for this, but:

Ray Peat right again!

LUH 3417

No way am I trying to normalize pedophilia by giving a biological explanation but I imagine there may be some sort of link between the two

TradClare

Achieving minimal fatness is easier than ever. People used to grow up scrawny, hungry for those 3 meals, having just enough food. It took longer to reach critical body fat to mature. Today kids hardly go an hour without some food or beverage entering their mouths. If you lined up schoolkids and exposed their bellies you would see the difference. They used to all have ribs, it was normal. And they played outside every day. Add the bodyfat problem to a lack of fiber in the diet which would keep estrogens from recycling

SamYo123

Achieving minimal fatness is easier than ever. People used to grow up scrawny, hungry for those 3 meals, having just enough food. It took longer to reach critical body fat to mature. Today kids hardly go an hour without some food or beverage entering their mouths. If you lined up schoolkids and exposed their bellies you would see the difference. They used to all have ribs, it was normal. And they played outside every day. Add the bodyfat problem to a lack of fiber in the diet which would keep estrogens from recycling
What fiber though?

frannybananny

It looks like the age of puberty onset is decreasing across the globe. I think Peat had mentioned that the puberty is induced by stressors in the organism.

"Although cases of precocious puberty may be few and far between—according to the Mayo Clinic, fewer than 200,000 cases in the United States per year—American girls are hitting puberty younger and younger.

“The age of puberty, especially female puberty, has been decreasing in western cultures for decades now,” Chapa said. “For example, at the turn of the 20th century, the average age for an American girl to get her period was 16 or 17. Today, that number has decreased to 12 or 13 years.”

It’s not just girls, a study from the American Academy of Pediatrics found that boys were starting puberty earlier than previously recorded. According to the findings, boys are now beginning puberty around, or a little before age 10. Previously, 11 years of age was the given number where boys began puberty. The study claimed that the public health implication of these findings is unknown and requires further studies."

“Early puberty in girls has been associated with increased risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, obesity and even diabetes in adult life,” Chapa said. “Some of these conditions are related to prolonged and early exposure to estrogen from the active ovarian cycle.”

There are mental health risks to early female puberty as well, especially for a girl going through a big change before her friends.

“Early female puberty has been associated with future psychosocial complications like depression and substance abuse,” Chapa said. “This has been theorized to be a result of neurodevelopmental changes of hormones, such as dopamine and serotonin, caused by puberty, which can lead to risk taking behavior, or simply maladaptation to early onset of secondary sexual characteristics when peers are less physically developed.”"
-The decreasing age of puberty - Vital Record
--
"Saudi girls attain menarcheal age earlier than their mothers, reflecting a downward secular trend in menarcheal age."
Decline in menarcheal age among Saudi girls
--
--
Declining Age of Puberty of School Girls in Southern Thailand
Declining Age of Puberty of School Girls in Southern Thailand - PubMed
Girls are hitting puberty earlier and earlier because of declining activity. Sitting around on a couch watching tv or video games and eating brings on an increase in estrogen and early menses. period.

AlaskaJono

One major cause is the sheer amount of exposure to endocrine disruptors and endocrine, read estrogen mimickers. Yes even in BPH free plastic. (Hint: It is a lie). Too much estrogen floating around the circulatory system because estrogen mimickers have notched into place. And we all know that road of inflammation leads to ... .

Anecdote: A schoolteacher friend retired after 30 years of teaching back in 2008 or so. (Juneau, Ak) She noted that especially girls in 3rd/4th grade were starting to have behavioral issues, which she thought were related to hormonal issues.In the beginning of her career 5th/6th grade girls were starting that b’bad’ (bitchy) behaviour.

A great book on the subject is Our Stolen Future. I read it in 1997 and... unfortunately we ain’t all natural anymore. Eye opening. None of this current thing of ‘save the earth’ has anything to do with pollute less, so... just sayin’.

InChristAlone

I've seen 3-4 yr old girls have b*itchy attitudes. Estrogenic chemicals the literally everywhere now. No matter if someone is trying to avoid plastics and eats organic food. Even our clothes are full of estrogenic chemicals. I have been trying to convert to only cotton clothes.

TradClare

Those bratty attitudes in children have so much to do with parenting though. We've adopted foster children and infants and by age 2 almost all humans are bratty unless trained by a loving authority (or even an unloving authority but that's sad). Part of the reason kids are so out of control is because they're never taught self control and given boundaries. Nobody really punished kids anymore. I volunteer at our local parochial school and the elementary kids are mostly awfully behaved though happy, unvaxed and drinking raw milk out of glass bottles from one of our farmers. Homemade organic food. In my opinion it's mainly the whole attachment parenting, child is always right, let's count to 5 million before we have to stand in a corner for 10 seconds. We tend to want to blame the environment instead of ourselves. Like saying that sugar causes hyperactivity

InChristAlone

Those bratty attitudes in children have so much to do with parenting though. We've adopted foster children and infants and by age 2 almost all humans are bratty unless trained by a loving authority (or even an unloving authority but that's sad). Part of the reason kids are so out of control is because they're never taught self control and given boundaries. Nobody really punished kids anymore. I volunteer at our local parochial school and the elementary kids are mostly awfully behaved though happy, unvaxed and drinking raw milk out of glass bottles from one of our farmers. Homemade organic food. In my opinion it's mainly the whole attachment parenting, child is always right, let's count to 5 million before we have to stand in a corner for 10 seconds. We tend to want to blame the environment instead of ourselves. Like saying that sugar causes hyperactivity
The 3 yr old I'm thinking of has two working parents and was sent to daycare. I guess then it's mostly daycare's fault. She's like little drama queen! Never seen it like that before.

I knew an adopted girl from a third world country who developed breasts at the age of 8. I was mostly 'normal', age 14-15 started my period and breasts grew slowly.

parallax

Puberty inducing stressors can include exposure to sexual experiences, physical demands of war or hunting, or any number of relatively benign or traumatic stressors. This effect is greatly augmented by abundant childhood nutrition. Early childhood nutrition is greatly augmented by exposure to antibiotics; under antibiotic influence the child is getting more of the food they eat and the gut bacteria is getting less.
Early puberty has occurred at different times throughout human history and the recent changes since the 1920s are likely primarily a result of the following factors:
- moving food plants to foreign climates were there are fewer specialized pests: the Colombian exchange
- the Haber–Bosch process; abundant fertility
- Norman Borlaug's agronomic innovations and discoveries
- the widespread use of antibiotics in early childhood

As for me, I hit puberty weeks after my 9th birthday. I was born in the year of the fire rabbit.

SonOfEurope

Puberty is the time when we Exchange the potential never ending brain development and a potentially extremely long life for the ability to reproduce.

Ray is right; truly the start of the aging process.

AlaskaJono

Even Tritan?

Their testing regimen doesn't seem too bad: Tritan Safety | Eastman
(Tritan is made by Eastman)
Long read, but worth it. Basically tests that were used by Certichem and Plastipure were 'deemed ' by jurors on counts of false advertising and unfair competition. They also concluded Tritan was not estrogenic. "Their rationale, according to postverdict interviews, echoed Eastman’s claims that estrogenic activity could not be established solely through cell-based tests."

These tests were the standard for decades I understand.
Anyhoo... "According to Bittner’s research, some BPA-free products actually released synthetic estrogens that were more potent than BPA.
And other researchers in the article did find estrogenic activity, but were not allowed to present evidence in that court.
And ..."Eastman also sued CertiChem and its sister company, PlastiPure, to prevent them from publicizing their findings that Tritan is estrogenic, convincing a jury that its product displayed no estrogenic activity."
So, yeah, Phthalathes are inside you. And me. etc. . Read below in Red from NIH and it would appear it is all good. But... It just isn't so.
"On Sciences’ advice, Eastman then commissioned a study that used computer modeling to predict whether a substance contains synthetic estrogens, based on its chemical structure. The model suggested that one of Tritan’s ingredients—triphenyl phosphate, or TPP—was more estrogenic than BPA."
From Pub med.

Lack of androgenicity and estrogenicity of the three monomers used in Eastman's Tritan™ copolyesters​

Abstract​

Eastman Tritan™ copolyester, a novel plastic from Eastman is manufactured utilizing three monomers, di-methylterephthalate (DMT), 1,4-cyclohexanedimethanol (CHDM), and 2,2,4,4-tetramethyl-1,3-cyclobutanediol (TMCD) in various ratios. As with most any polymer, the monomers along with the high molecular weight oligomers, whose toxicity is most commonly represented by the monomers, make up the predominate amount of free chemicals available for leaching into the environment and/or foods. In light of the high level of public concern about the presence of endocrine (primarily estrogenic) activity ascribed to certain plastics and chemicals in the environment, Tritan's™ monomers were evaluated using QSAR for binding to the androgen receptor and estrogen receptors (alpha and beta) as well as a battery of in vitro and in vivo techniques to determine their potential androgenicity or estrogenicity. The findings were universally negative. When these data are coupled with other in vivo data developed to assess systemic toxicity and developmental and reproductive toxicity, the data clearly indicate that these monomers do not pose an androgenic or estrogenic risk to humans. Additional data presented also support such a conclusion for terephthalic acid (TPA). TPA is also a common polyester monomer and is the main mammalian metabolite formed from DMT.

lvysaur

It's not just the onset of puberty, but also the adult morphology being reached earlier. For example there's a huge difference between a teen from 2004 and a teen from 2023, even if the puberty onset age is technically similar.