Debilitating Fatigue After Meals. Please Help!

Jlfast5521

Hi all,

I’m coming to this higher carb/metabolic way of eating from low carb/keto. Initially on low carb I felt great, but as several months went by, I began experiencing symptoms of adrenal fatigue, electrolyte imbalance and Cushing’s syndrome.

After reading Ray Peats work, I foolishly went all in and reintroduced a relatively large amount of carbs back into my diet. I gained ~10lbs of fat and water weight, but I initially felt amazing with really high energy after meals. After a few weeks however, im finding that I get really sleepy/ tired after meals. Sometimes its so bad I have no choice but to just pass out. I’ve experimented with carb/protein ratios, fats, etc, but I haven’t figured out how to get back to the kind of energy that carbs gave me when I first transitioned.

Insulin resistance due a vitamin deficiency induced by the increased metabolism/ glucose metabolism? Thats the only mechanism I found that could explain the initial energy surge followed by carb intolerance...

I eat a lot of beef liver (maked me feel euphoric), and I began taking B1/Mg, but it hasn't change to much.

Any thoughts are really appreciated!

Last edited:

DeadCatBounce

Had the same issue. Was on keto for 12 years and switching to higher carb is a bit of a challange for the body at first. So can totally relate. Will take time to overcome this unfortunately. It took me 3 months+ to not feel like my brain wants to shut off immediately and go to sleep in the middle of the day.

Eating protein(meat) with fruit is what helped me. Muscle meat + strawberries is great. Sometimes I use cherries or watermelon. You can load on some sugar/fruit 10-15 mins before starting the meat. Or marmalade. Thinking about trying some raw honey whenever fruit is not available. Rice, patatoes etc I believe should be avoided like the plague.

Temporary lowering fat % in the diet can also help. Also, make sure you eat some calcium rich food with the meat. Those measures will also help not to gain too much fat when switching.

Sun bathing is also great - might make you even more tired at first though.

It will get better and more energy will come. But it really takes some time.

OP
J

Jlfast5521

Thanks for your advice. I guess i'll just have to wait it out. I also noticed that I have to go really low fat or else the post prandial sleepiness is severe. I'm guessing due to the randle cycle. Did you experiment with nicatinamide at all? I heard its supposed to lower FFA.

Phosphor

Other than the blood sugar comments, fatigue is the first symptom of food allergy.

BlueEyeWolf

Forum Supporter
Other than the blood sugar comments, fatigue is the first symptom of food allergy.
I will have to check this. I get fatigue after eating sometimes. Thought it was bread. Try to stay with sourdough if having bread and less carbs- refined carbs are tough. If I stick to fresh food it is better.

Vanset

You can also try the other way around. Eat only carbs from starch, fruit and fruit juices (basically vegan for a limited amount of time) and THEN start adding a bit of fat into your diet, for example one egg with each meal. Then after a while add a lean sirloin steak, and then some dairy. Pay attention to how you react to each increase in fat.