'Death Test' Predicts Chance of Healthy Person Dying Within Five Years

BingDing

Sorta what Haidut said about the NAD/NADH ratio, though not dead in five years but the single best biomarker of health.

I would want to know if my biomarkers said I'd be dead in five years. Even if it's BS I would quit working and hit the road!

Amazoniac

BingDing said:
post 103983 Sorta what Haidut said about the NAD/NADH ratio, though not dead in five years but the single best biomarker of health.

I would want to know if my biomarkers said I'd be dead in five years. Even if it's BS I would quit working and hit the road!
But there is no road, wanderer..

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:

Of these biomarkers, albumin is pretty well known and has been used before on its own for this purpose. If your albumin is chronically low, then you have serious liver or other organ issues, or are not eating/absorbing enough. The alpha-1-acid glycoprotein is also related to liver health, and also thyroid health. High cholesterol means low thyroid and low steroid synthesis, and thus high estrogen and cortisol in peripheral tissues. So, all in all these seem to be markers of liver and thyroid health, and one of them (albumin) has been used for this purpose for at least 50 years. I would like to see a comparison between just albumin and the full list. I suspect albumin alone will be at least 80% as accurate as the full list.

BingDing

Amazoniac said:
post 104009
BingDing said:
post 103983 Sorta what Haidut said about the NAD/NADH ratio, though not dead in five years but the single best biomarker of health.

But there is no road, wanderer..

Hahaha. Take a walkabout? Bushwhacking for lost souls?

Makrosky

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

Of these biomarkers, albumin is pretty well known and has been used before on its own for this purpose. If your albumin is chronically low, then you have serious liver or other organ issues, or are not eating/absorbing enough. The alpha-1-acid glycoprotein is also related to liver health, and also thyroid health. High cholesterol means low thyroid and low steroid synthesis, and thus high estrogen and cortisol in peripheral tissues. So, all in all these seem to be markers of liver and thyroid health, and one of them (albumin) has been used for this purpose for at least 50 years. I would like to see a comparison between just albumin and the full list. I suspect albumin alone will be at least 80% as accurate as the full list.

Regarding albumin, How much is considered low?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
post 104029
haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

Regarding albumin, How much is considered low?

If you are consistently below 4 I think it is an issue but it has to be taken in context of other things like nutrition and digestion.

OP
S

:rightagain2

Biomarker Profiling by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy for the Prediction of All-Cause Mortality: An Observational Study of 17,345 Persons

OP
S
The combined biomarker score appears to be a more accurate predictor of risk than tests for more commonly known risk factors.

Moreover, when the four circulating biomarkers were included in the model, the measures of total and HDL cholesterol, as well as triglycerides, were not significant predictors of all-cause mortality

:cool: :cool: :cool:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:

And from the study itself, in regards to my first comment about albumin:
"...Candidate biomarkers were included in a stepwise manner into a multivariate Cox model for all-cause mortality adjusted for sex and using age as the time scale. Each biomarker is plotted against the negative log10 of the corresponding p-value. Numbers indicate HR [95% confidence interval] per 1-SD difference. Colors indicate candidate biomarker classes as listed in Table S1. (A) p-Values obtained when including each biomarker in turn in the model adjusted for age and sex only. Albumin was the strongest independent predictor of all-cause mortality. (B) p-Values for each biomarker adjusted for age, sex, and albumin. (C) p-Values for each biomarker adjusted for age, sex, albumin, and alpha-1-acid glycoprotein. (D) p-Values for each biomarker adjusted for age, sex, albumin, alpha-1-acid glycoprotein, and VLDL particle size. LDL, low-density lipoprotein."

OP
S
Ray Peat said:
Abnormal patterns of pituitary hormones reflect stress and hormonal imbalance, but they are also directly involved in widespread changes in tissue content of [highlight=yellow]glycoproteins[/highlight].
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/prostate-cancer.shtml

Ray Peat said:
Tom Brewer and his associates showed that pregnancy toxemia involves inadequate blood volume, and that using extra sodium can alleviate the symptoms, including preventing [highlight=blue]albuminuria[/highlight], one of the most characteristic signs of toxemia/preeclampsia. (Besides causing loss of albumin through leaky capillaries, estrogen also inhibits its synthesis by the liver; the loss of colloid osmotic pressure in hypoalbuminemia has many consequences, including disturbances of blood lipids.) Estrogen’s action in toxemia of pregnancy is paralleled by the fact that blood viscosity is highest at the time of ovulation during the normal monthly cycle.

In the healthy person, some of the fibrin that is constantly being formed is deposited on the inside of blood vessels (and on the surfaces of blood cells), and this layer forms an important part of the capillary’s resistance to leaking. A.L. Copley, who pioneered the study of hemorrheology, called this the “endoendothelial layer.” This layer probably contains albumin, too, in close association with the (carbohydrate) “glycocalyx” [a glycoprotein-polysaccharide] of the endothelial cell surface.

---

Hypothyroidism increases the leakiness of capillaries, and [highlight=blue]decreases the amount of albumin in the blood[/highlight].
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/bleeding-clotting-cancer.shtml

Ray Peat said:
Besides the activation of cells and cell systems, phosphate (like other ions with a high ratio of charge to size, including [highlight=red]citrate[/highlight]) can activate viruses (Yamanaka, et al., 1995; Gouvea, et al., 2006).
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/phosphate-activation-aging.shtml

Ray Peat said:
Phosphate toxicity offers some interesting insights into stress and aging, helping to explain the protective effects of carbon dioxide, thyroid hormone, sugar, niacinamide, and calcium. It also suggests that other natural substances used as food additives should be investigated more thoroughly. Excessive [highlight=red]citric acid[/highlight], for example, might activate dormant cancer cells (Havard, et al., 2011), and has been associated with malignancy (Blüml, et al., 2011).
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/phosphate-activation-aging.shtml

Ray Peat said:
The HDL lipoprotein is one of these, which protects against inflammation by binding bacterial endotoxins that have reached the bloodstream. (Things that increase absorption of endotoxin--exercise, estrogen, ethanol--cause HDL to rise.) Chylomicrons and [highlight=orange]VLDL[/highlight] also absorb, bind, and help to eliminate endotoxins. All sorts of stress and malnutrition increase the tendency of endotoxin to leak into the bloodstream. Thyroid hormone, by increasing the turnover of cholesterol and its conversion into the protective steroids, is a major factor in keeping the inflammatory processes under control.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/cholesterol-longevity.shtml

Ray Peat said:
The thyroid hormones associate with three types of simple proteins in the serum: Transthyretin (prealbumin), thyroid binding globulin, and [highlight=blue]albumin[/highlight]. A very significant amount is also associated with various serum lipoproteins, including HDL, LDL, and [highlight=orange]VLDL[/highlight] (very low density lipoproteins).
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals