DBCoast’s Recovery Log

OP
D

DBCoast

You’re welcome, @DBCoast. :)

A ton of ice cream and fudge? That sounds like a dream honeymoon, like a stay at the Wonka Factory. Haha! But yeah, I understand the confusion surrounding your experience with sugar. It took some convincing to get my mum to relax her fear surrounding it and even when it had her sleeping through the night, she still felt guilty about having it. I found her a clean soda brand and that helped some. I found this quote by Ray when I was looking for a different quote:

“It usually takes me just a few days of eating extremely large amounts of sugar (milkshakes, marshmallows, ice cream, etc.) to replenish my stores. Sugar stops tasting especially good when I have had enough, and my pulse pressure, the difference between top and bottom blood pressure numbers, falls well below 50 points.

Gotcha. I understand your concern. I’m interested to read how your night goes. It wouldn’t surprise if the insomnia is affecting your ability to lose weight so if relaxing your diet has you sleeping well, you may find that you start losing weight effortlessly.
There was a fudge shop at the base of the mountain - I had to stock up! Haha

There were absolutely times when I slept hard that I would wake up feeling thinner. You’re 100% right. I’ve specifically noticed that and always would wonder about it. What if I can sleep my way thin?! That would be crazy. And doing it with sugar?! What if???

Btw, I increased sugar intake yesterday afternoon and last night and slept better. Also ate a little full fat cheese before bed with some OJ. Going to do more sugar replenishing today and see what happens.

Jennifer

There was a fudge shop at the base of the mountain - I had to stock up! Haha

There were absolutely times when I slept hard that I would wake up feeling thinner. You’re 100% right. I’ve specifically noticed that and always would wonder about it. What if I can sleep my way thin?! That would be crazy. And doing it with sugar?! What if???

Btw, I increased sugar intake yesterday afternoon and last night and slept better. Also ate a little full fat cheese before bed with some OJ. Going to do more sugar replenishing today and see what happens.

Woo-hoo! That’s awesome! Look at you getting one step closer to sleeping well. :D I used to tell my mum that if we could get her sleeping through the night, I believed she would start losing weight. It just made sense from a biological perspective. Rest and sugar go against our no pain, no gain world, but I’m reminded of the women who struggle to conceive, until they go on vacation. That’s why I have often recommended people get regular massages if they can afford to and also, as juvenile as it might seem to some, taking time to play. Relaxation and joy are so underrated in the health world, but I believe they’re vital to living a balanced life. Kids are a great model of this. They play hard, but sleep just as hard. :)

How cool. A fudge shop at the base of a mountain is like the proverbial carrot. I would have attempted climbing a mountain again sooner if I knew there would be a fudge shop waiting for me at the base of it. Haha!

OP
D

DBCoast

Woo-hoo! That’s awesome! Look at you getting one step closer to sleeping well. :D I used to tell my mum that if we could get her sleeping through the night, I believed she would start losing weight. It just made sense from a biological perspective. Rest and sugar go against our no pain, no gain world, but I’m reminded of the women who struggle to conceive, until they go on vacation. That’s why I have often recommended people get regular massages if they can afford to and also, as juvenile as it might seem to some, taking time to play. Relaxation and joy are so underrated in the health world, but I believe they’re vital to living a balanced life. Kids are a great model of this. They play hard, but sleep just as hard. :)

How cool. A fudge shop at the base of a mountain is like the proverbial carrot. I would have attempted climbing a mountain again sooner if I knew there would be a fudge shop waiting for me at the base of it. Haha!
I hope so. I do believe I finally figured out what happened to me. I didn’t know why I was so sick for so long because I thought what I was doing was THE way to be healthy. Crazy. I’m so relieved just to know.

I’ve done no-pain-no-gain in everything for so long that it became all pain. I’ve never been good at moderation, but I’m starting to think it’s the way!

LadyRae

After a particularly grueling 107 mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail last August, in northern Washington State, we ended up in a tiny mountain town, Stehiken, on lake Chelan. The main business there is a fancy bakery. This is my 17 year old. We were in the middle of a 300 mile trek, and this place was quite welcome!

The left pic is me with my pack a few days before. Fire Creek Pass.

Attachments

• image000000 (1).jpg
    image000000 (1).jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220815_121946526_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20220815_121946526_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 25

Jennifer

I hope so. I do believe I finally figured out what happened to me. I didn’t know why I was so sick for so long because I thought what I was doing was THE way to be healthy. Crazy. I’m so relieved just to know.

I’ve done no-pain-no-gain in everything for so long that it became all pain. I’ve never been good at moderation, but I’m starting to think it’s the way!

Knowing what happened to you and letting go of strongly held beliefs that were harming you is half the battle. Some never figure it out or have the courage to let go so good for you!

I’ve struggled with moderation too. I think a lot of people do. I try not to beat myself up for it because the thing that led to my undoing, was the same thing that had me fighting to overcome it.

I hope tonight is an even better night for you. :)

Jennifer

After a particularly grueling 107 mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail last August, in northern Washington State, we ended up in a tiny mountain town, Stehiken, on lake Chelan. The main business there is a fancy bakery. This is my 17 year old. We were in the middle of a 300 mile trek, and this place was quite welcome!

Oh, my. I bet! I don’t know if it’s the same for you, but food always tasted better to me on a mountain. A Clif Bar tasted like a gourmet meal. lol Thank you for posting pics of your hikes, LadyRae. They remind me of my mine and it keeps me motivated. ❤️

LadyRae

Oh, my. I bet! I don’t know if it’s the same for you, but food always tasted better to me on a mountain. A Clif Bar tasted like a gourmet meal. lol Thank you for posting pics of your hikes, LadyRae. They remind me of my mine and it keeps me motivated. ❤️
Ah thanks! Yes, food is delicious up there, and must be carefully planned and rationed between resupply boxes. I even dehydrated some beef liver for that trip! 😀

OP
D

DBCoast

Wow, what an awesome climb! 300 miles! That’s so cool. I bet that French toast tasted amazing. Haha I love French toast - who doesn’t?! Here’s to not feeling guilty about eating it ever again!

OP
D

DBCoast

Knowing what happened to you and letting go of strongly held beliefs that were harming you is half the battle. Some never figure it out or have the courage to let go so good for you!

I’ve struggled with moderation too. I think a lot of people do. I try not to beat myself up for it because the thing that led to my undoing, was the same thing that had me fighting to overcome it.

I hope tonight is an even better night for you. :)
Yes, you are so right. I’m thankful I discovered all this now, before things got worse. Last night was average. I’ve definitely had worse nights. I really think the sugar is helping!

OP
D

DBCoast

Sick fatigue this morning. Same old feeling. Hard to describe. Like a mild nausea and weakness. Not tiredness at all. Sick fatigue how I describe it.

I ate a lot of sourdough yesterday. Wife took a sourdough class and brought home a bunch. Digestion not the best this morning either. Maybe a connection? Never really thought of myself as having a gluten or bread issue. Maybe it’s nothing, I don’t know.

LadyRae

Sick fatigue this morning. Same old feeling. Hard to describe. Like a mild nausea and weakness. Not tiredness at all. Sick fatigue how I describe it.

I ate a lot of sourdough yesterday. Wife took a sourdough class and brought home a bunch. Digestion not the best this morning either. Maybe a connection? Never really thought of myself as having a gluten or bread issue. Maybe it’s nothing, I don’t know.
I'm noticing that you were posting this morning at 2:30 a.m. Pacific standard Time anyway. Another yucky night of sleep/non sleep?

Since I quit drinking alcohol almost 4 years ago, I've noticed that I go to sleep between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m. but then I am up and ready for the day between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m.,...... this is a little inconvenient but I've had to just embrace it

OP
D

DBCoast

I was also thinking of my CrossFit days. There would be times when I would smell like straight ammonia. Every time I went my sweat would smell strongly like ammonia. Not good. I never could get a clear reason why this was.

OP
D

DBCoast

I'm noticing that you were posting this morning at 2:30 a.m. Pacific standard Time anyway. Another yucky night of sleep/non sleep?
Hey @LadyRae, yeah, not the best last night. I was up at 4:30am. I probably got just over 6 hrs, but woke up feeling pretty ill.

LadyRae

I was also thinking of my CrossFit days. There would be times when I would smell like straight ammonia. Every time I went my sweat would smell strongly like ammonia. Not good. I never could get a clear reason why this was.
Gluconeogenesis? Not enough carbs? Breaking down protein creates ammonia

OP
D

DBCoast

Gluconeogenesis? Not enough carbs? Breaking down protein creates ammonia
That’s what I was thinking. Crazy. It was kind of scary. I would think there’s no way smelling like ammonia could be good…

OP
D

DBCoast

97.3 mid-day temp. Pretty cold hands and feet… what the heck?

I’m going to add more movement into my daily routine.

LadyRae

97.3 mid-day temp. Pretty cold hands and feet… what the heck?

I’m going to add more movement into my daily routine.
Well cooked white button mushrooms make me quite warm, not sure why. I heard someone else in here mention that too.

Also, I'm taking a 20mg policosanol capsule every day and it also gives me warm hands and face, and that's saying something, because I have very long fingers and limbs and they've always been prone to chills...

Jennifer

Ah thanks! Yes, food is delicious up there, and must be carefully planned and rationed between resupply boxes. I even dehydrated some beef liver for that trip! 😀

Smart!

Yeah, my guess would be the bread, not that it’s bad but it can be difficult for some to digest when recovering.

Well cooked white button mushrooms make me quite warm, not sure why. I heard someone else in here mention that too.

They make me quite warm too, though, I use cremini mushrooms made into a broth. Do you add salt to them? I add a lot of salt to the broth, which I suspect is the main thing that makes it warming.

@DBCoast, do you think you are getting enough salt? I ask because cold hands and feet sound like an adrenaline response and salt helps to lower adrenaline.

OP
D

DBCoast

Smart!

Yeah, my guess would be the bread, not that it’s bad but it can be difficult for some to digest when recovering.

They make me quite warm too, though, I use cremini mushrooms made into a broth. Do you add salt to them? I add a lot of salt to the broth, which I suspect is the main thing that makes it warming.

@DBCoast, do you think you are getting enough salt? I ask because cold hands and feet sound like an adrenaline response and salt helps to lower adrenaline.
Yeah, it’s interesting. I haven’t eaten that much bread in a while.

I’m pretty liberal with the salt. I put it in my OJ, and heavily salt whatever I’m eating. I remember when I was doing zone diet during peak CrossFit, I craved salt a ton - on meat and oatmeal. Couldn’t get enough.

Korven

Damn this describes how I felt for years and years. Every morning I would wake up and feel this "sick fatigue", malaise, nausea or hungover feeling. Not really tired, but kind of like I had been poisoned by something (stress?). It was awful! I think you are definitely on to something about the link between "sick fatigue" and poor digestion -- since I worked on improving my digestion (had to eliminate gluten), and taking measures to eradicate H pylori, I don't wake up feeling poisoned or hungover any longer. Oh and I had a very similar background to you where I pushed myself with heavy weights, despite my body telling me not to, until I physically couldn't any longer. Had to stop working out completely for years. Only recently have I been able to do some light bodyweight stuff again without my sleep suffering or feeling poisoned when I wake up.

My only advice would be to relax and not push the envelope so much with exercise, including light exercise like walking or jogging, even if you feel a little better on a particular day. For me I really had to exercise restraint to not overdo and "break the energy budget", that was what allowed me to get better in the long run.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals