Darkness & Light & Madness

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Extremely serious mistakes about the nature of the solar system didn't matter too much until interplanetary travel became a possibility. Extremely serious mistakes about brain "transmitters" and "receptors" didn't matter too much until the drug industry got involved.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Three years before Prozac received approval by the US Food and Drug Administration in late 1987, the German BGA, that country's FDA equivalent, had such serious reservations about Prozac's safety that it refused to approve the antidepressant based on Lilly's studies showing that previously nonsuicidal patients who took the drug had a fivefold higher rate of suicides and suicide attempts than those on older antidepressants, and a threefold higher rate than those taking placebos."

"Using figures on Prozac both from Lilly and independent research, however, Dr. David Healy, an expert on the brain's serotonin system and director of the North Wales Department of Psychological Medicine at the University of Wales, estimated that "probably 50,000 people have committed suicide on Prozac since its launch, over and above the number who would have done so if left untreated."

The Boston Globe, 2000.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“If we think biologically, starting with the role of serotonin as a damage-induced inflammatory mediator, we can speculate that an infinite number of irritating substances will be “serotonin reuptake inhibitors.” The particular history of the “third generation antidepressants” is one that should disturb our tranquility.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Learned helplessness is a biological condition that is created by inescapable stress. In this state, animals that would normally swim for hours will stop swimming after a few minutes and allow themselves to drown. They simply don’t have enough mental or physical energy to overcome challenges.

In learned helplessness, the level of serotonin is high, and an excess of serotonin helps to create the state of learned helplessness.“
-Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 2AC12BA8-EEC1-4019-ABE5-CA5A3CC0D6BE.png
    2AC12BA8-EEC1-4019-ABE5-CA5A3CC0D6BE.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Finally, long hours of daylight are known to increase progesterone production, and long hours of darkness are stressful. Annually, our total hours of day and night are the same regardless of latitude, but different ways of living, levels of artificial illumination, etc., have a strong influence on our hormones. In some animal experiments, prolonged exposure to light has delayed some aspects of aging." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.” Abraham Lincoln

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In this sad world of ours, sorrow comes to all; and, to the young, it comes with bitterest agony, because it takes them unawares. The older have learned to ever expect it. I am anxious to afford some alleviation of your present distress. Perfect relief is not possible, except with time. You can not now realize that you will ever feel better. Is not this so? And yet it is a mistake. You are sure to be happy again. To know this, which is certainly true, will make you some less miserable now. I have had experience enough to know what I say; and you need only to believe it, to feel better at once.”
Abraham Lincoln

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The virtual autopsy was carried out through CT scanning. Nerlich and his team measured bone lengths and looked at tooth eruption and the formation of long bones to determine that the child was approximately a year old when he died. The soft tissue showed that the child was a boy and overweight for his age, so his parents were able to feed him well – but the bones told a different story.”

“The combination of obesity along with a severe vitamin-deficiency can only be explained by a generally ‘good’ nutritional status along with an almost complete lack of sunlight exposure,” said Nerlich. “We have to reconsider the living conditions of high aristocratic infants of previous populations.”’

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Turning on the TV before bedtime can disrupt our sleep cycles and excessive exposure can lead to depression and anxiety. “Anything that is stimulating to the brain before bed may be detrimental to one's ability to fall asleep,” explains Dr. Richard Shuster, clinical psychologist and host of The Daily Helping podcast.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Serotonin activates the glucocorticoid system, which can produce brain atrophy. Antiserotonin agents protect against brain atrophy and many other effects of stress. The brain-protecting neurosteroids, including pregnenolone and progesterone, which are increased by some kinds of stimulation, are decreased by isolation stress, and in their absence, serotonin and the glucocorticoids are relatively unopposed.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Some of the men who have been considered as the world's brightest have, in fact, gone through a crisis of depression,” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“None of these three famous intellects was known for youthful playfulness, though playfulness is a quality that's closely associated with intelligence in mammals and birds. (Russell, however, in middle age developed many new interests, such as writing short stories, and had many new loves even in old age.) Stress early in life, such as isolation, reduces the playfulness of experimental animals. Playfulness is contagious, but so is the inability to play.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“An environment that fosters optimal intelligence will necessarily promote the development of emotional health, and will almost certainly foster good physical health and longevity, because no part of the physiological system can thrive at the expense of another part. And within the boundaries of life-enriching environments, there are infinite possibilities for variety.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In darkness and isolation, for example, the stress hormones increase, and the brain-protective steroids decrease. -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“If a violin has been soaked in water, it will sound very odd when it's played. Its various parts won't resonate properly. Similarly, the living substance has to be in a particular state to resonate properly with its environment.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“OK, so maybe science makes your eyes glaze over and I lost you at “fifth grade science class” but there is a reason for the lesson: studies show exposure to negative ions has a direct impact on our mood and well-being.

In this study both bright light and negative air ion exposure were shown to alleviate chronic non-seasonal depression as well as seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

Theories suggest that negative ions increase serotonin levels to boost our mood and energy, alleviate depression and provide stress-relief.”

OK, so maybe science makes your eyes glaze over and I lost you at “fifth grade science class” but there is a reason for the lesson: studies show exposure to negative ions has a direct impact on our mood and well-being.

In this study both bright light and negative air ion exposure were shown to alleviate chronic non-seasonal depression as well as seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

Theories suggest that negative ions increase serotonin levels to boost our mood and energy, alleviate depression and provide stress-relief.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The weather has changed and now the days get dark early and it is raining today. I woke up feeling the gloom, with no sushine and concrete to lay on for grounding. It is gonna be a new thing for me, but I realize I gotta spent time outdoors on rainy days to keep my mood happy. I guess I better start liking hats….

“Positive ions are small molecules that have gained a positive charge. Most forms of pollution, toxic chemicals, pet dander, pollen, mold, and other harmful chemicals in the air carry a positive electrical charge, making them positive ions.

Having high levels of positive ions in the environment can lead to a host of ailments. This is because we are surrounded by positive ions from electromagnetic fields generated by computers, cell phones, and other electronic devices which can impair brain function and suppress the immune system causing symptoms such as: anxiety, breathing difficulty, fatigue, headaches, irritability, lack of energy, poor concentration, nausea, and vertigo.”

“The easiest way to experience the benefits of negative ions is to spend more time outdoors. Expose yourself to places with very high concentrations of negative ions such as:

• Dense forests (especially pine forests)
  • Mountains
  • Parks
  • Waterfalls
  • Springs
  • Go outside after heavy rain and storms
  • Beaches”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Studies have shown that negative ions possess not only an anti-microbial effect but also a mood-stabilizing one. Research seems to indicate that negative ions can influence serotonin levels in your brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that may have role in mood disorders ranging from depression to seasonal affective disorder.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I don't know anyrhing about grounding, but laying in my lounge chair looking up does what I think you are talking about. I am always looking for things in the clouds! It is how I love to start my day or end it!
I found a dolphin in the clouds a couple of weeks ago and the head of a dinosaur taking a bite out of a hillside! These are silly simple things that keep me excited everyday!

Attachments

• 5E6477BF-ACE2-4661-BB27-68BEC24334F3.jpeg
    5E6477BF-ACE2-4661-BB27-68BEC24334F3.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 12C6D8CB-0C2F-4B5C-8F3F-C82EC0C5CFCD.jpeg
    12C6D8CB-0C2F-4B5C-8F3F-C82EC0C5CFCD.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 6