Dark Roast Coffee Is Not Only Bad, It's Disrespectful

I can tell how much he charges for a cup just by skimming through that

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My daughter is a barista and I forwarded her the article and she said that is exactly how she feels about coffee! She gave me a bag of dark roast from her coffee shop and while I'm certain it's high quality I honestly prefer folgers.

x-ray peat

I like Dark Roast too; and according to the post below its healthier as well.

superhuman

Hmm does not say why except for taste? would be cool to hear more about why light roast is so much better and healthier then dark roast? I thought dark roast was more nutritious and less caffeine?

OP
cyclops

cyclops

less caffeine?

I'm pretty sure dark roast does have less caffeine, but most are not trying to avoid that.

I believe I've heard Peat say he drinks dark roast. I wonder why. I think it may have more of something but I forget what.

I recently tried some very dark roast coffee. Was truly terrible. Some lighter roast coffees can be like fine wines, you can really taste different notes and hints of subtle flavors. Too light a roast is a bit too acidic?, thin, and bright for me though. I think I like medium roast most days, something with a little body and thats still taste like coffee lol.

Last edited:

X3CyO

Why not just drink both??

D

danishispsychic

Lately I’m into Vietnamese coffee and have started to triple the sugar and add sweetened condensed milk. It’s a dream

lvysaur

"Plus, roasting it for as long as they do reduces its mass. That makes it cheaper to ship all over the world."
But this would mean a loss of product as well. Bad logic.

I've always found that light is too sour, and dark is bitter. Medium is my favorite, as cliche as it sounds. The fanaticism over coffee seems like one of those status things where people pretend to enjoy things that are not enjoyable. Black coffee, dark roast, IPAs, etc.

Lately I’m into Vietnamese coffee and have started to triple the sugar and add sweetened condensed milk. It’s a dream

If the Vietnamese are supposedly lactose "intolerant" then why do they use condensed milk in their coffee? Checkmate, pop scientists.

schultz

Ray says dark roast has more niacinamide

This is correct. Trigonelline is an alkaloid in coffee beans that is turned into niacin via roasting. The temperature and amount of time the coffee is roasted for determines the amount of niacin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1897406
"The coffee bean contains about 1% of trigonelline that is demethylated at temperatures approaching 200 degrees C; it is partially converted into nicotinic acid. This operation is mainly proportional to the severity of dry heat treatment; various other physico-chemical factors also influence the synthesis of niacin during the roasting. The niacin content of weakly roasted commercial coffee is about 10 mg/100 g (American coffee) and it reaches 40 mg in heavy roasted coffees, i.e. Italian coffee. Caffeine-free coffee is lower in niacin than the corresponding raw coffee. The drinking retains 85% of the niacin formed during roasting; it is totally available for the organism and can constitute a noticeable part of the daily supply in niacin."

Taste wise I prefer something like a full city roast or a Vienna. Italian can make me feel like I'm drink smoke sometimes.

L

lollipop

Jsaute21

Just cheaped out on coffee for the first time in a while at my local grocery store and bought some $4.99 "Cafe Espresso" and the difference is noticeable unfortunately. I never have adverse reactions to coffee, and this stuff makes me refluxy & lowers pulse, makes it hard to focus etc. I hate to give credence to coffee snubs but there certainly is a difference between brands in terms of quality. Just tuuuuuurrrrrrrriiiibbbbbbbblllllee (Charles Barkley voice.)

L

lollipop

Just cheaped out on coffee for the first time in a while at my local grocery store and bought some $4.99 "Cafe Espresso" and the difference is noticeable unfortunately. I never have adverse reactions to coffee, and this stuff makes me refluxy & lowers pulse, makes it hard to focus etc. I hate to give credence to coffee snubs but there certainly is a difference between brands in terms of quality. Just tuuuuuurrrrrrrriiiibbbbbbbblllllee (Charles Barkley voice.)
The wisdom is real. Welcome to coffee snobbery - lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals