Dark/discolored Periorbital Area

inthedark

About a year and a half ago I suffered a pretty severe sinus infection that followed a couple winters of sinus issues and mold exposure about four years ago. I went on antibiotics which took care of the acute infection. However during this time I developed very dark circles around my eyes and what looks to me to be prematurely aged skin in the periorbital area (under and around my eyelids) along with mild eczema above my eyes. After the antibiotics the discolouration got a bit better but never returned to my normal skin tone. I think I damaged the skin barrier through excessive rubbing -during that winter my eyes were constantly itchy and watery- then more through a short course of topical cortisone.

Since then I've had some success reducing the discolouration (in case anyone is interested, I found pregnenolone, vits A and K applied to the area to be especially helpful) and eczema somewhat. However the skin still feels thin, looks atypical under examination, and is still somewhat discolored, in addition to deep lines and wrinkles, overall still much less healthy looking than previous to that sinus infection. There are also couple small skin tags that have developed on and below my eyelid.

Sorry for the lengthy preamble !This along with chronic low level sinus issues are my stickiest problems and I'd love if anyone can speculate on what's happening here. Thanks!

goodandevil

This sign is classically associated with hypothyroidism. If you were given an a/b only effective against gram positives i would try low dose tetracycline, otherwise you probably need thyroid hormone. Have you measured average temps?

OP
I

inthedark

Temps and pulse are always good. I believe was given azithromycin. If I could get my hands on tetracycline I'd love to try it but I don't have a family doctor and the clinics around here are pretty loath to prescribe antibiotics unfortunately.

This sign is classically associated with hypothyroidism. If you were given an a/b only effective against gram positives i would try low dose tetracycline, otherwise you probably need thyroid hormone. Have you measured average temps?

Diokine

I think these dark spots under the eye are related to tissue sensitization to cortisol from a persistent immunological or allergenic trigger. Persistent sinus problems are a similar issue, there is probably some degree of inflammation in the intestines causing issues with the gut, lungs, and sinus. Antibiotics are probably helpful in such a case, along with carrot salad, cooked mushrooms, bamboo shoots, etc.

Last edited:
OP
I

inthedark

Peat said something pretty similar (along with suggesting pregnenolone and asking about my thyroid status) when I asked him about this. The "problem" is that so far as I can tell I have very few gut issues (occasionally I get nausea if I haven't eaten for many hours). I know it's possible it could still be gut related but without gut symptoms I don't have much to go on. I do eat raw carrot/carrot salad on the reg, and take charcoal from time to time as routine maintainence.

The cortisol link definitely makes sense to me though, as taking theanine will relieve sinus symptoms very quickly, so I've been taking it nightly.

I think these dark spots under the eye are related to tissue sensitization to cortisol from a persistent immunological or allergenic trigger. Persistent sinus problems are a similar issue, there is probably some degree of inflammation in the intestines is causing issues with the gut, lungs, and sinus. Antibiotics are probably helpful in such a case, along with carrot salad, cooked mushrooms, bamboo shoots, etc.

Diokine

In my experience I would consider issues with my sinus to be the first symptom of trouble in my gut. Are you taking a lot of supplements? The fillers in the capsules can be extremely irritating to the gut.

OP
I

inthedark

I've eliminated daily use of most supplements with fillers and now and just taking a couple idealabs (thyroid and Mitolipin) and healthnatura (A and K) supps. Occasional D (in mct oil) this winter. And aspirin from time to time. Looking for a more pure aspirin as this is the only thing with fillers. This is my regimen for the last nine months or so.

In my experience I would consider issues with my sinus to be the first symptom of trouble in my gut. Are you taking a lot of supplements? The fillers in the capsules can be extremely irritating to the gut.

OP
I

inthedark

I've had post nasal drip and these low level sinus issues on and off since I was a teenager, but never any intestinal issues since childhood.
I'd love to be able to try a course of antibiotics again, as I remember fondly the invigorating feeling of totally clear nasal passages when I took the azithromycin for that acute infection. However the doctors want to just give me decongestants and antihistamines. That was also the only time I've taken pharmaceutical antibiotics since I was a kid.

goodandevil

I've had post nasal drip and these low level sinus issues on and off since I was a teenager, but never any intestinal issues since childhood.
I'd love to be able to try a course of antibiotics again, as I remember fondly the invigorating feeling of totally clear nasal passages when I took the azithromycin for that acute infection. However the doctors want to just give me decongestants and antihistamines. That was also the only time I've taken pharmaceutical antibiotics since I was a kid.
What you wwnt is fish cycline ... exact same tetracycline as for humans. Phage might be another option, and there's a few online pharmacies with gram negative, or broad-spectrum abx.

OP
I

inthedark

What you wwnt is fish cycline ... exact same tetracycline as for humans. Phage might be another option, and there's a few online pharmacies with gram negative, or broad-spectrum abx.

Awesome I will be looking into that fish cycline. As for the online pharmacies, the ones I've found don't seem to like shipping to Canada...

OP
I

inthedark

Do you know if the fillers and whatnot are harmful? Anyone have experience with the fish ABX? A quick search on Amazon did turn up a product but there's no info on what it contains besides tetracycline.

X160

The discoloration under my eyes seems to get better with topical progesterone cream.

OP
I

inthedark

The discoloration under my eyes seems to get better with topical progesterone cream.

I did have some improvement with topical progesterone, then pregnenolone dissolved in coconut oil!

goodandevil

Do you know if the fillers and whatnot are harmful? Anyone have experience with the fish ABX? A quick search on Amazon did turn up a product but there's no info on what it contains besides tetracycline.
No fillers, it's just tetracycline. I think it's made by Fischer labs.

OP
I

inthedark

No fillers, it's just tetracycline. I think it's made by Fischer labs.

Only thing I can find within/available to ship to Canada is "aquari-cycline" on Amazon.ca. It's doxycycline tablets that dissolve in aquarium water. Cannot find any info re additives and "inactive" ingredients though :/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals