Dark Chocolate Increase Nitric Oxide

paymanz

Effect of dark chocolate on nitric oxide serum levels and blood pressure in prehypertension subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
AIM:

to investigate the effect of consumption of dark chocolate 30 g/day for fifteen days on Nitric oxide (NO) serum levels and blood pressure in male and female employees with prehypertension.
METHODS:

the study was a parallel randomized clinical trial. A total of thirty-two subjects was divided into two groups using block randomization. Sixteen subjects received 30 g/day dark chocolate and dietary counseling (treatment group) and the other 16 subjects received white chocolate 25 g/day and dietary counseling (control group) for fifteen days. Data collected in this study consisted of age, physical activity, body massa index, intake of energy, intake of sodium, and intake of polyphenol, NO serum levels and blood pressure. The measurement of NO serum levels was done in pre- and after- treatment, while blood pressure was assessed in pre- , during- and after- treatment. Statistical analysis was performed using independent t-test for normal distribution data and Mann-Whitney test for not normal distribution data, with the level of significancy of 5%.
RESULTS:

after 15 days treatment, NO serum level between treatment and control groups were significantly different 7.70 ± 3.84 vs 1.92(-0.79 ± 17.78) (p=0.001). Both groups had decreased systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Systolic blood pressure was different significantly between groups after treatment 120.64 ± 8.47 vs 131.19 ± 7.45 (p=0.001), while diastolic blood pressure was not significant 74.14 ± 6.30 vs 77.44 ± 10.29 (p=0.308).
CONCLUSION:

in prehypertension subjects, dark chocolate 30 g/day increased NOx serum levels and decreased systolic blood pressure after 15 days of treatment.

FredSonoma

***t lol anyone smarter than me have wise advice for cocoa powder addicts like myself?

I eat chocolate and I flush like it's poppers or something :ss and then I'm hyper for hours.

edit: why do I keep eating it? :nailbiting:

J

jb116

I had posted the thread about the usefulness of Dutch processed cocoa. This is nice evidence to back it up. Since that processing reduces the estrogenic compounds vastly, it most likely reduces this NO effect. I personally never did well in pure cocoa. Milk chocolate is fine for me.

Don't you think the arginine would be a major contribution to this?

Giraffe

full text link
Interesting how the already low calorie intake decreased during the study (dietary counselling :D), especially in the treatment group (dark chocolate). This group also exercised more than the control group.

dark chocolate_table 2.GIF

J

jb116

Don't you think the arginine would be a major contribution to this?
I tend not to think so because the amino acid profile is somewhat one to one regarding arginine. That kind of inhibition of other amino keeps it in check. The bigger difference is the reduction in these estrogenic compounds.

OP
P

paymanz

high oxalate maybe is another suspect? toxic substances increase NO

FredSonoma

Cocoa undoubtedly makes me feel better OVERALL (when I'm consuming it), but right after sometimes I feel anxious, and it seems to increase facial edema

OP
P

paymanz

anyway i always thought its a healthy thing(especially after reading that it has aromatase inhibitor) while i always felt bad after eating cocoa.i really need pay more attention to how it feels after eating a food.

Drareg

This is great.
Does dark chocolate contain serotonin also like banana etc
I get headaches from it once it's over 65%

Would explain maybe why combinations with ginger,coffee ,orange work so well with dark chocolate.

BobbyDukes

I eat about 6 tablespoons of cacao each day (not much really, when you consider how much is in actual processed chocolate). When I run out, sometimes due to not having enough money, I notice................. Absolutely nothing at all. No change in.... Anything. Other than, my skin. When I am eating cacao, my skin is noticeably better and well, it tastes good, so I like to eat it. That outlook has never done anyone any harm, so I'm good with that.

I've been eating it for a good 6 years, or so. Like with coffee, it's one of those things that I can see myself doing for life. I don't care about studies. It's yum yum.