Dark Chocolate For Stress Reduction

Logan-

Dark chocolate reduces my stress. I know many other people crave chocolate in times of stress.

Why does dark chocolate work so well? Even 20 grams of dark chocolate successfully reduces my stress level. It works very fast too.

It has a calming effect on me. It also increases my mental energy.

Vinero

Dark chocolate increases dopamine. It also has magnesium and copper which are anti-stress and pro-energy.

OP
L

Logan-

Dark chocolate increases dopamine. It also has magnesium and copper which are anti-stress and pro-energy.

I have been taking magnesium glycinate every day for years, I don't think the effect comes from the magnesium.

Do you have any source for chocolate's supposed effects on dopamine, aside from the study mentioned in this thread? I couldn't find anything else.

Yeah, I thought about the copper too. Maybe it contributes. I might be deficient in copper.

Vinero

I have been taking magnesium glycinate every day for years, I don't think the effect comes from the magnesium.

Do you have any source for chocolate's supposed effects on dopamine, aside from the study mentioned in this thread? I couldn't find anything else.

Yeah, I thought about the copper too. Maybe it contributes. I might be deficient in copper.
Yes, I also had that study in mind posted by haidut, I have no source for the increased dopamine, but my experience with eating dark chocolate is that it feels very dopaminergic. It increases my motivation, well-being, libido, and stamina whenever I ingest it. Similar to caffeine and other dopaminergics.

OP
L

Logan-

Looks like there are many studies on chocolate's effects on mood.

J Am Diet Assoc. 1999 Oct;99(10):1249-56.
Chocolate: food or drug?
Bruinsma K1, Taren DL.
Author information
Abstract

Although addictive behavior is generally associated with drug and alcohol abuse or compulsive sexual activity, chocolate may evoke similar psychopharmacologic and behavioral reactions in susceptible persons. A review of the literature on chocolate cravings indicates that the hedonic appeal of chocolate (fat, sugar, texture, and aroma) is likely to be a predominant factor in such cravings. Other characteristics of chocolate, however, may be equally as important contributors to the phenomena of chocolate cravings. Chocolate may be used by some as a form of self-medication for dietary deficiencies (eg, magnesium) or to balance low levels of neurotransmitters involved in the regulation of mood, food intake, and compulsive behaviors (eg, serotonin and dopamine). Chocolate cravings are often episodic and fluctuate with hormonal changes just before and during the menses, which suggests a hormonal link and confirms the assumed gender-specific nature of chocolate cravings. Chocolate contains several biologically active constituents (methylxanthines, biogenic amines, and cannabinoid-like fatty acids), all of which potentially cause abnormal behaviors and psychological sensations that parallel those of other addictive substances. Most likely, a combination of chocolate's sensory characteristics, nutrient composition, and psychoactive ingredients, compounded with monthly hormonal fluctuations and mood swings among women, will ultimately form the model of chocolate cravings. Dietetics professionals must be aware that chocolate cravings are real. The psychopharmacologic and chemosensory effects of chocolate must be considered when formulating recommendations for overall healthful eating and for treatment of nutritionally related health issues.

Chocolate: food or drug? - PubMed - NCBI

J Affect Disord. 2006 Jun;92(2-3):149-59. Epub 2006 Mar 20.
Mood state effects of chocolate.
Parker G1, Parker I, Brotchie H.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Chocolate consumption has long been associated with enjoyment and pleasure. Popular claims confer on chocolate the properties of being a stimulant, relaxant, euphoriant, aphrodisiac, tonic and antidepressant. The last claim stimulated this review.

METHOD:
We review chocolate's properties and the principal hypotheses addressing its claimed mood altering propensities. We distinguish between food craving and emotional eating, consider their psycho-physiological underpinnings, and examine the likely 'positioning' of any effect of chocolate to each concept.

RESULTS:
Chocolate can provide its own hedonistic reward by satisfying cravings but, when consumed as a comfort eating or emotional eating strategy, is more likely to be associated with prolongation rather than cessation of a dysphoric mood.

LIMITATIONS:
This review focuses primarily on clarifying the possibility that, for some people, chocolate consumption may act as an antidepressant self-medication strategy and the processes by which this may occur.

CONCLUSIONS:
Any mood benefits of chocolate consumption are ephemeral.

Mood state effects of chocolate. - PubMed - NCBI

Malays J Nutr. 2011 Aug;17(2):259-69.
Chocolate: food for moods.
Wong SY1, Lua PL.
Author information
Abstract

INTRODUCTION:
Chocolate is a popular food and its consumption has long been associated with enjoyment and pleasure. The effect of chocolate on mood too has long been recognised. Chocolate is thought to have interactions with neurotransmitters which contribute to mood modulation and appetite regulation. However, the evidence in chocolate and mood studies remains highly controversial. As more is known about the influence of chocolate on mood, the reasons for these effects appear increasingly complex and inter-related.

METHODS:
We reviewed chocolate's properties and the principal hypotheses addressing its mood altering propensities.

RESULTS:
The relationship between chocolate and mood are highly complex, combining psychopharmacological components, nutritional and sensory characteristics of the food. Individual and situational differences on chocolate consumption may also exert influence on mood and the mixed results in previous research indicate that the direction of the association remains unclear.

CONCLUSION:
The association between chocolate consumption and emotions warrants further multi-prong investigations to substantiate chocolate's mood alterating propensity.

Chocolate: food for moods. - PubMed - NCBI

Appetite. 2006 May;46(3):332-6. Epub 2006 Mar 20.
Everyday mood and emotions after eating a chocolate bar or an apple.
Macht M1, Dettmer D.
Author information
Abstract

Emotional changes after eating chocolate were examined in everyday life. Thirty-seven healthy, normal-weight women ate a chocolate bar, an apple or nothing and rated their subjective state 5, 30, 60 and 90min after eating. Both chocolate and the apple reduced hunger, elevated mood and increased activation, but the effects of the chocolate were stronger. Eating chocolate was also followed by joy and, in some women, by guilt. Guilt responders experienced less intense positive emotions. Whereas positive emotional responses appear to be due to sensory pleasure and it's anticipation and may also be related to reduced hunger, guilt responses are probably induced by negative food-related cognitions.

Everyday mood and emotions after eating a chocolate bar or an apple. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
L

Logan-

Dark chocolate, even in very small quantities, also suppresses my hunger and appetite quite significantly. This too could be coming from its stimulant effects, I guess. Think of amphetamine, nicotine etc.

OP
L

Logan-

Methylxanthines as Psycho-Stimulants
The psycho-stimulatory action of caffeine is well known [51] and, therefore, the caffeine in chocolate has a certain psycho-stimulant effect. The consensus related to a similar action of theobromine, which is the main methylxanthine component of cacao is in doubt. A careful study by Smit et al. [52] has demonstrated that the combination of caffeine and theobromine in the proportions found in cacao has psycho-stimulant effects. The authors performed two double-blind, placebo-controlled studies measuring the effects on cognitive performance and mood of the amounts of cacao powder and methylxanthines found in a 50 g bar of dark chocolate. In one of the studies voluntaries took visually identical portions of white chocolate, containing no methylxanthines, or low (8 mg caffeine + 100 mg theobromine) or high amounts (20 mg caffeine + 250 mg theobromine) of methyltxanthines. These three forms mimic, respectively, white, milk, and dark chocolate. Using a long duration simple reaction time task, a rapid visual information processing task, and a mood questionnaire, the results showed that the psycho-stimulant effect of chocolate is mainly due to the methylxanthines present [52].
Health Benefits of Methylxanthines in Cacao and Chocolate

OP
L

Logan-

Mood
Dark chocolate that contains at least 70 per cent cocoa is a much cheerier option than milk chocolate. Within one to two hours, the active compounds in the cocoa are absorbed into the blood stream, and give us pleasure. “Chocolate contains phenylethylamine, which has some aphrodisiac-like properties,“ Dr Bain says. “However, the body gets rid of it very quickly, so the actual effect of this is very small and more likely to be psychosomatic. But chocolate does increase serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain to give that short post-eating high.” In fact, the elation really is momentary. According to a 2007 study published in the journal Appetite – chocolate soothes a bad mood for just three minutes.

Stress
There is some evidence that chocolate has a natural calming effect one to two hours after eating it. A Swiss study in 2009 found that subjects who ate 40g of dark chocolate a day over two weeks had reduced cortisol levels, our natural stress hormone.

Did you know that chocolate can lower your blood pressure?

Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2013 Dec;37(10 Pt 2):2445-53. doi: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2013.06.013. Epub 2013 Jun 26.
Chocolate and the brain: neurobiological impact of cocoa flavanols on cognition and behavior.
Sokolov AN1, Pavlova MA, Klosterhalfen S, Enck P.
Author information
Abstract

Cocoa products and chocolate have recently been recognized as a rich source of flavonoids, mainly flavanols, potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents with established benefits for cardiovascular health but largely unproven effects on neurocognition and behavior. In this review, we focus on neuromodulatory and neuroprotective actions of cocoa flavanols in humans. The absorbed flavonoids penetrate and accumulate in the brain regions involved in learning and memory, especially the hippocampus. The neurobiological actions of flavanols are believed to occur in two major ways: (i) via direct interactions with cellular cascades yielding expression of neuroprotective and neuromodulatory proteins that promote neurogenesis, neuronal function and brain connectivity, and (ii) via blood-flow improvement and angiogenesis in the brain and sensory systems. Protective effects of long-term flavanol consumption on neurocognition and behavior, including age- and disease-related cognitive decline, were shown in animal models of normal aging, dementia, and stroke. A few human observational and intervention studies appear to corroborate these findings. Evidence on more immediate action of cocoa flavanols remains limited and inconclusive, but warrants further research. As an outline for future research on cocoa flavanol impact on human cognition, mood, and behavior, we underscore combination of functional neuroimaging with cognitive and behavioral measures of performance.

Chocolate and the brain: neurobiological impact of cocoa flavanols on cognition and behavior. - PubMed - NCBI

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2018 May;235(5):1497-1511. doi: 10.1007/s00213-018-4861-4. Epub 2018 Mar 3.
The acute effects of cocoa flavanols on temporal and spatial attention.
Karabay A1, Saija JD2, Field DT3, Akyürek EG2.
Author information
Abstract

In this study, we investigated how the acute physiological effects of cocoa flavanols might result in specific cognitive changes, in particular in temporal and spatial attention. To this end, we pre-registered and implemented a randomized, double-blind, placebo- and baseline-controlled crossover design. A sample of 48 university students participated in the study and each of them completed the experimental tasks in four conditions (baseline, placebo, low dose, and high-dose flavanol), administered in separate sessions with a 1-week washout interval. A rapid serial visual presentation task was used to test flavanol effects on temporal attention and integration, and a visual search task was similarly employed to investigate spatial attention. Results indicated that cocoa flavanols improved visual search efficiency, reflected by reduced reaction time. However, cocoa flavanols did not facilitate temporal attention nor integration, suggesting that flavanols may affect some aspects of attention, but not others. Potential underlying mechanisms are discussed.

The acute effects of cocoa flavanols on temporal and spatial attention. - PubMed - NCBI

Hypertension. 2012 Sep;60(3):794-801. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.112.193060. Epub 2012 Aug 14.
Benefits in cognitive function, blood pressure, and insulin resistance through cocoa flavanol consumption in elderly subjects with mild cognitive impairment: the Cocoa, Cognition, and Aging (CoCoA) study.
Desideri G1, Kwik-Uribe C, Grassi D, Necozione S, Ghiadoni L, Mastroiacovo D, Raffaele A, Ferri L, Bocale R, Lechiara MC, Marini C, Ferri C.
Author information
Abstract

Flavanol consumption is favorably associated with cognitive function. We tested the hypothesis that dietary flavanols might improve cognitive function in subjects with mild cognitive impairment. We conducted a double-blind, parallel arm study in 90 elderly individuals with mild cognitive impairment randomized to consume once daily for 8 weeks a drink containing ≈990 mg (high flavanols), ≈520 mg (intermediate flavanols), or ≈45 mg (low flavanols) of cocoa flavanols per day. Cognitive function was assessed by Mini Mental State Examination, Trail Making Test A and B, and verbal fluency test. At the end of the follow-up period, Mini Mental State Examination was similar in the 3 treatment groups (P=0.13). The time required to complete Trail Making Test A and Trail Making Test B was significantly (P<0.05) lower in subjects assigned to high flavanols (38.10±10.94 and 104.10±28.73 seconds, respectively) and intermediate flavanols (40.20±11.35 and 115.97±28.35 seconds, respectively) in comparison with those assigned to low flavanols (52.60±17.97 and 139.23±43.02 seconds, respectively). Similarly, verbal fluency test score was significantly (P<0.05) better in subjects assigned to high flavanols in comparison with those assigned to low flavanols (27.50±6.75 versus 22.30±8.09 words per 60 seconds). Insulin resistance, blood pressure, and lipid peroxidation also decreased among subjects in the high-flavanol and intermediate-flavanol groups. Changes of insulin resistance explained ≈40% of composite z score variability through the study period (partial r(2)=0.4013; P<0.0001). To the best of our knowledge, this is the first dietary intervention study demonstrating that the regular consumption of cocoa flavanols might be effective in improving cognitive function in elderly subjects with mild cognitive impairment. This effect appears mediated in part by an improvement in insulin sensitivity.

Benefits in cognitive function, blood pressure, and insulin resistance through cocoa flavanol consumption in elderly subjects with mild cognitive i... - PubMed - NCBI

The Acute Electrocortical and Blood Pressure Effects of Chocolate
Michelle Montopoli, Larry C Stevens, Constance Smith, George Montopoli, Stephanie Passino, Somer Brown, Lena Camou, Katie Carson, Shannon Maaske, Kathleen Knights, William Gibson, Joyce Wu

Abstract

Objective: The present study investigated the effects of consuming chocolate on electroencephalograph (EEG) frequencies and localization and on blood pressure. Method: Across six conditions, 122 participants consumed either higher (60%) cacao chocolate, low (0%) cacao chocolate, higher cacao chocolate +L-theanine, high sugar water, low sugar water, or water. EEGs, blood pressure, and mood were measured before and after a 60-minute digestion period. Results: Analyses indicated a decrease in frontal, parietal, and temporal theta and an increase in occipital beta EEG following the consumption of a 60% cacao confection compared with control conditions. Diastolic blood pressure increased with the consumption of higher cacao chocolate when compared to water alone and to higher cacao chocolate + L-theanine. Diastolic and systolic blood pressure decreased following consumption of higher cacao + L-theanine chocolate, averaging 4-8 mmHg. No condition-specific mood changes or gender differences were found. Conclusions: This study suggests an acute stimulating effect of cacao on the human brain and vasoconstrictive effects on peripheral vasculature, the latter of which appear to be offset by an L-theanine additive. Significance: This is the first known study to investigate acute EEG effects of consuming chocolate and suggests a potential attention-enhancing effect.
The Acute Electrocortical and Blood Pressure Effects of Chocolate | Montopoli | NeuroRegulation

Last edited:

Birdie

Somewhere Ray recommended milk chocolate being better than the dark. Kinda surprised me. Maybe if you drink milk with dark chocolate you get a benefit.

But the high arginine in chocolate can be a problem. I know I get relapses of shingles pain when I eat too much chocolate.
And too much isn't much. I do get all the good reactions like increased "get up and go".

I always remember the French woman who lived to 122 who said she ate a pound of chocolate a week.

Inaut

Chocolate and your Mitochondria

Chocolate.jpg

You've heard about some of the health benefits of chocolate. It contains a wide range of minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and theobromine (the substance that will harm dogs, but acts as a mild stimulant for people). But did you know there's a compound in chocolate that actually helps our mitochondria reproduce?

Why is this important? Well, the energy that drives everything that happens in our bodies, from our sympathetic nervous system to our higher thoughts and cognition (and everything in between), is produced by the tiny organelles in our cells called mitochondria. Mitochondrial death, and thus cell death, is exactly why we meet our untimely demise. Typically, to produce more mitochondria the body has to be exposed to strenuous exercise, or extreme calorie restriction. But a compound known as pyrroloquinoline quinone, or PQQ, can actually stimulate the growth of new mitochondria.

PQQ
Pyrroloquinoline quinone, or PQQ, is the name of a quinone that animals can not produce on their own, thus making it essential to acquire from food. In fact, mice that were fed a diet devoid of PQQ had impaired reproductive and immune function, and their skin became thin and fragile.

PQQ offers multiple physiological benefits, including:

• Anti-inflammatory
  • Mitochondria bio-genesis
  • Vitamin co-factor
  • Nerve protection and re-growth
  • Nueroprotectant
  • Collagen production
We naturally obtain PQQ through our food, and guess which food (that has been analyzed thus far) has the highest PQQ content? Cocoa Powder!

PQQ+Chart.jpg

Exciting stuff, right? Here's the deal though; Oreo cookies do not count as "healthy" chocolate. Neither do M&M's, or chocolate Easter bunnies, nor Swiss Miss Cocoa or Cocoa Puffs. Dark chocolate is the key, and the lower the sugar content the better. 85% or higher cocoa content is your best bet, and one of my favorite 85% chocolate bars is Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Bar. For a low sugar, high fiber chocolate bar it's delicious, not bitter like you would expect a super dark chocolate bar to be.

There are other ways to incorporate cocoa into your diet without added sugar. Add a tablespoon into a smoothie sweetened only with fruit. Or try a savory dish that incorporates cocoa, like chili, a rub for meat, or a soup.

Give your mitochondria a boost, and have some chocolate!

References:

Chocolate and your Mitochondria — Primed For Health

mad539

Dark chocolate (e.g. Lindt 78%) has a very intense effect on me. I just tested it this week. I was many months addicted to dark chocolate and wanted to see what exactly it does for me. I abstained from it for a week and then ate 100gr of dark chocolate 78%.

Before: Lethargic, no energy, couldn't speak well (pronunciation worse), depressive, moody, constipation
After: Way more energy, could speek well, loud and with confidence, high focus, positive/optimistic, music feels good again, constipation gets better

The effect lasts the whole day, which seems the reason why i'm addicted to it - no side effects (besides some stomach pain), and intense mental benefits for the whole day. I have adhd, and comparing methylphendiate to dark chocolate - dark chocolate wins, way smoother and longer lasting action.

I first thought, maybe it is the dopamine, but taking 4gr of L-Tyrosine on an empty stomach had zero effect on me. I suspect the main compound for the effect is caffeine and/or theobromine (looking at the studies). Taking a caffeine pill (100mg) does nearly the same, but the half life is shorter and the amplitude way higher, so i get jittery and have side effects.

One downside is that dark chocolate is very high in oxalates and eating it every day results in eczema. Does anybody know if there is a supplement containing a combination of caffeine and theobromine, maybe even in a slow release form?

mad539

Unfortunately.
I've read that you can bind oxalates with calcium, so eating a calcium rich food before and some dark chocolate after should mitigate the risk. But maybe someone other can chim in and confirm this.

Mauritio

Here's an interesting summary of chocolate's (surprisingly high) content of caffeine.

Even if I consume an amount of chocolate that contains 50-100mg of caffeine, i get no of the side effects of taking caffeine or drinking coffee.

As per this article this is due to the "entourage effect" of chemicals like theobromine. I might look into that one more.

Maybe people could increase their caffeine tolerance by simultaneously taking a theobromine supplement.

Or people that can't tolerate even 50mg of caffeine, might be able to tolerate that same amount in chocolate.