Dark/black Snot In Nose? Causes? Dirt? What Else?

I've been lately blowing my nose or such and seeing dark snot coming out of my right nostril only.

It's not always that way, but when it happens it's always this nostril. I usually have common stuffy nose/symptoms & such, but still unsure of any triggers/causes specifically for the stuffiness. I guess I could clean more, but not sure how effective it would be/the best way to do this anyways.

My concern is with dark/black snot. Is this something in the air I'm breathing that my nose is trying to filter out? Doesn't strike me as something good.

I don't smoke or anything like that -- & it isn't dried blood either. Is it dust/dirt/something else? Should I maybe get an air purifier or something too?

Lilac

I remember having black snot at the end of every day when I was visiting London about 40 years ago. I figured it was the pollution from the diesel cabs and buses, which had a distinctive motor sound. But that was both nostrils.

OP
MetabolicTrash
I remember having black snot at the end of every day when I was visiting London about 40 years ago. I figured it was the pollution from the diesel cabs and buses, which had a distinctive motor sound. But that was both nostrils.

I think it might only be one nostril for me due to the blockage of the other to a greater degree.

But since you think it could also be dirt/pollutants and such, it just confirms my suspicions that I'm breathing in way too much crap in my own house specifically.

Wondering how much an air purifier would help at this point + more vigorous cleaning.

Could be air pollution. I remember a friend who lived in a very polluted city told me if he wiped the inside of his nose with a tissue, it'd come out black. But if it's just the one nostril in your case then I don't know. If it's pollution maybe you could test it if it only shows up in certain environments.

tara

Air pollution can do it. I've been in a place like that, where being out on a smoggy night would result in blackened snot.